Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help with a 9 month old dell.

• 18-06-2010 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I purchased a dell laptop 9 monthes ago, I needed it for college and during the year when I tried to hook it up to a screen the image was blurry and unreadable, Also the hinges came lose on the machine and for a machine at the time (6 monthes old ) I would not of expected issues like that.

The touch pad also got worn and when the laptop warmed up there were 2 spots which would act as if something was left on then and the mouse wouldn't move.

Anyway I sent the laptop back to dell and got it back today. I was abit concerned when there was no mention of hinges being replaced, touch pad being replaced or any mention of my video port.

So I took the laptop out of the box, hinges still damaged, opened the laptop, touch pad still worn so then I was a bit worried. I know the other things could of just been called ware and tear but I expected the VGA to be working as I badly need it.

I turned on the laptop and pluged it in, And low and behold the VGA still wasn't functioning properly.

It seems during the repair all that was done was, put it in a box and send it back which took 8 days.

I'm actually so annoyed with the company now that I'd rather not deal with them again, This is just too far and I'd rather buy from a company which will A) be of better build quaility and B) actually repair the issues when they arise!

What can I do? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've also noticed they haven't even put it back together properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

where did you buy it? bring/send it back to whoever you bought it from and ask them to replace it or refund as they have clearly failed to repair or even examine it and assertain if it is faults in manufacture etc or customer damage.

you are entitled to repair replacement or a refund which should be discussed between yourself and the retailer not the manufacturer!

if you bought it online from dell then i suggest you ignore all their telephone contacts which divert to indian customer care/sales agents and find an address for customer care in ireland and post them a letter explaining all the issues so far! they will probable arrange a collection or for you to post it to them and get it repaired properly or send you a replacement!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    where did you buy it? bring/send it back to whoever you bought it from and ask them to replace it or refund as they have clearly failed to repair or even examine it and assertain if it is faults in manufacture etc or customer damage.

you are entitled to repair replacement or a refund which should be discussed between yourself and the retailer not the manufacturer!

if you bought it online from dell then i suggest you ignore all their telephone contacts which divert to indian customer care/sales agents and find an address for customer care in ireland and post them a letter explaining all the issues so far! they will probable arrange a collection or for you to post it to them and get it repaired properly or send you a replacement!

Thanks for the response,

I bought it direct from Dell but I actually want a refund now, I'd prefer not to have this service again If I got a refund.

First they don't even repair it, and second they can't even put it back together properly.

Do you think I'd have a chance of getting a refund? If they refuse could I go through small claims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes you will probably end up in the small claims court.

Keep a copy of the packing sheet you get back form them. Take photos of the laptop.

Write a letter (keep a copy)detailing you issues and send it registered post and give them 10 working days to give you what you want failing that try the small claims court.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

I would bring it to the laptop shop in stephen's green if you are in Dublin. They're good value, decent guys, good service and all round provide good service.

Point is this, you could bring it in there and find out how much it will cost to rectify these problems. It may not actually be that much. If it isn't that expensive, I would advise to just chalk it up to a loss and learn not to buy Dell again.

If, however, you do decide to attempt to deal with Hell Dell, then send the letter by registered post. The beginnings of a paper trail tend to light a fire under companies.

• Advertisement

I would bring it to the laptop shop in stephen's green if you are in Dublin. They're good value, decent guys, good service and all round provide good service.

Point is this, you could bring it in there and find out how much it will cost to rectify these problems. It may not actually be that much. If it isn't that expensive, I would advise to just chalk it up to a loss and learn not to buy Dell again.

If, however, you do decide to attempt to deal with Hell Dell, then send the letter by registered post. The beginnings of a paper trail tend to light a fire under companies.
    why do this when thelaptop is covered by the buyers statutory rights and also dells own warrenty???

OK a quick update, I will take everyone's posts above into account but yesterday I got called by the person who's been helping me arrange this CAR( collect and return ) repair I sent him an email in which I made it clear I was not happy, He rung me about an hour after this post and I explained everything to him, He put me onto his manager I explained it again to her and then said I'm so fed up with dell that's I'd rather a refund, She then spoke to her manager and said that she'll be in contact with the manager of the refunds department of Monday so I should know by then.

If that doesn't work out I'll be sending a letter and if nothing come of that I'll sort out a small claims court form and do that instead.

I have to say, the people I've spoke to so far have been very helpful and it seemed that she agreed with me that a refund would be best, So I'll keep you all posted.

dont be surprised if they try to haggle over the amount of the refund or claim you are not entitled to any refund or repair or replacement at all, there has been some real horror stories from dells indian customer care but the fact you are now dealing with a manager or supervisor might help.

if not then try writing a letter to dell customer care in cherrywood business park and they should help.

Just got phoned back, She said in my situation I was not entitled to a refund, I asked why and she didn't answer she just said "in some situations customers are not entitled to a refund" I said I wanted one and now she's getting another customer service area to contact me soon.

The "fun" begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Just got phoned back, She said in my situation I was not entitled to a refund, I asked why and she didn't answer she just said "in some situations customers are not entitled to a refund" I said I wanted one and now she's getting another customer service area to contact me soon.

The "fun" begins...

Don't waste your time arguing - contact Citizens Information here directly and they will advise you. The machine is clearly not fit for purpose and you are entitles to a repair, replacement or refund - it is YOUR choice which you choose.

• Advertisement

write to dell in ireland and dont deal with their indian care at all as they will never give you anything but will delay you for months with bullsh1t then tell you because it has gone over 1year they will do nothing unless you pay for the repair! because your rights mean nothing to them in india!

basically whatever route you go down chasing this up it will involve writing a formal letter of complaint to Dell as the retailer and telling them what you will accept as reasonable redress in your situation, why not get this out of the way now by sending a written letter to dell in cherrywood as talking to indian dell reps will get you nowhere!

Dell Products
    c/o Cherrywood Science & Technology Park
    Dublin 18

Dell Products is registered in the Republic of Ireland under company number 191034 with registered address 70 Sir Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2. VAT registration number is IE 6591034U.

OK, well with some help I should be getting a letter written tomorrow, I think I'm also going to do the small claims court form at the same time.

I wasn't sure which company I was meant to put in as the respondant and today I received a phonecall from another person in Dell, He offered me a replacement, I refused and then he said he'd get back to me today.

I'm a bit concerned as my laptop has now only got 2 monthes and 15days warranty, So I'll get everything done tomorrow as not to waste anymore time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Good luck, you'll have a fight on your hands with Dell. I was reading in the paper recently that even people who have won small claims settlements against them still never received refunds/replacements and bailiffs won't touch them.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    OK, well with some help I should be getting a letter written tomorrow, I think I'm also going to do the small claims court form at the same time.

I wasn't sure which company I was meant to put in as the respondant and today I received a phonecall from another person in Dell, He offered me a replacement, I refused and then he said he'd get back to me today.

I'm a bit concerned as my laptop has now only got 2 monthes and 15days warranty, So I'll get everything done tomorrow as not to waste anymore time.
    to be honest imo a new replacement is not acceptible unless it was for a different model that does not suffer the same issues as your laptop! and i would think the replacement you would get would be a refurb anyway or a laptop from the dell outlet shop.

also you have up to 6 years in which the retailer(dell products) have to provide after sasles care for your laptop. you could go back after 4 years and get a repair or replacement or partial refund for faults due to faulty workmanship etc.

also the letter can be typed or handwritten but just send it to Dell in Ireland as if you send an email it goes straight to india!

Wow, Just off the phone to Dell, They've agreed to give me a full refund ( yes everything I payed! ) of the exact price that was debited from the card.

I'd be lying If I said I wasn't delighted! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

WOW great result, i'm very surprised though I agree you have a strong case. Report back when you have the cash in your hand!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    WOW great result, i'm very surprised though I agree you have a strong case. Report back when you have the cash in your hand!

Thanks for that.

I may have a bit of an issue, The payment method that the refund was going to be paid too is no longer being used, So I needed to contact the dell employee via email so he could contact me and arrange another one and go ahead with the collection.

I'm not sure If the email I sent via my iPhone was received as they usually get in contact very quickly(24 hours maximum!) so the collection might not be today.

Anyway I'll keep everyone posted!

Thanks everyone!

Refund was received today! :)

Advertisement