Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes into hairdressing?

• 18-06-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone

I have been interested in a career in hairdressing for a long time and completed my leaving cert 3 years ago. I'm finding it really tough to break into the industry because of several reasons:

Any qualified hairdressers, who I have asked their opinions on hairdressing plc courses, have told me to steer clear of them as the likes of Peter Mark and Toni and Guy require you to start off with them as a first year apprentice regardless of if you have studied hairdressing for two years or not. Does this mean that these courses are a waste of time, money and effort if anyone can walk off the street into the same job?

I have also tried numerous salons for apprenticeships but there just seems to be none out there in this current climate. I do understand that some salons do not want to train people as they are basically paying you while you train and you are not creating an income for their business.

Of course there is the option to complete private diploma courses around the country but I simply can't afford to fork out 10,000+ grand and give up my full time work.

My ideal scenario would be to study hairdressing part time and work part time. There is an ITEC Level 2 course in hairdressing which Gainfort Academy run 2 days a week. However are ITEC courses in hairdressing worth their salt in the real world and not just another certificate? I have completed an ITEC course in make up and found the course quite good but wonder about the hairdressing.

If anyone has any experience with Gainfort and/or ITEC hairdressing courses I'd really love to hear your thoughts. If anyone has any advice at all I would really appreciate it, I'm at my wits end and just want to get my career going.

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Hey :)
    Does this mean that these courses are a waste of time, money and effort if anyone can walk off the street into the same job?

Hairdressing PLC courses ie Crumlin College and such, they only do basic training and tell you your qualified but by Peter Mark and Toni & Guy and most other salons your a long way off being qualified. You learn basic colouring and basic meche and how to blowdry and basic cutting.

You don't learn the ins and outs of colouring or cutting.

I have also tried numerous salons for apprenticeships but there just seems to be none out there in this current climate. I do understand that some salons do not want to train people as they are basically paying you while you train and you are not creating an income for their business.

Salons have no jobs at the minute - they are having to let staff go instead of taking staff on. I myself have had to let people go.

I simply can't afford to fork out 10,000+ grand and give up my full time work.

This doesn't give you the salon experience that you get from inside the salon.

However are ITEC courses in hairdressing worth their salt in the real world and not just another certificate?

I just looked up the course you are talking about and read up on it but its not giving too much info away.

I'm at my wits end and just want to get my career going.

How old are you?

Im 25 and 11 years hairdressing, I know your gonna laugh but if you cant get in to a salon by doing an apprenticeship try going in and asking for unpaid Saturday work. Tell them you really want to start off somewhere.

By doing that then you can firstly see do you really like it, Ive seen lots of girls think they wanna be a hairdresser and then get into it and hate it! Secondly they could offer you something more, that way you can keep your other job while you try out hairdressing.

Hope this helps somehow and if you have anymore questions just ask :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kaz90

Hiya thanks for your reply, it's really sound advice

Im 20 now and I did my leaving cert when I was 17. I have worked in retail for the past 3 years and am an assistant manager but it is not the career I want. I should have pursued hairdressing straight after school as that was what I wanted but another opportunity, which seemed better at the time, came up.

I'm definitely going to try out the local salons for some unpaid Saturday work. It seems to be the best way to get your foot in the door.

Yeah I really don't know what to think of the ITEC course. I have done a lot of research and can't find anything solid on it.

So do you think the plc courses are worth doing for learning the basics?

You are so lucky to have so much experience at 25. Don't laugh but I kinda feel old trying to start off in hairdressing at 20!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

it might be slightly far away for you but the north west institute in derry offer a 2 year full or part time NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing, or hair & beauty combined...hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I would say follow your dream even though as you said you feel old at 20 starting off you kinda are but not too old to get into it, a friend of mine has just started a course at 38 :D

A PLC course could help you learn the basics for sure but just don't go in thinking your gonna come out qualified cause your not, any chance of a FAS course near you? Sometimes they place you after their courses :)

Best of luck with the Saturday work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gemie

does any one know where you can do hairdressing papers like fetac 5 or city and guilds? i have foundation in hairdressing done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 pokerseamus

my daughter paid big money for hairdressing courses and they come up with some excuse to get rid of you before you get qualified and keep your money. Crumlin college or FAS are by far the better choice.

you wont lose thousands of euro with crumlin college and thy are good.

Advertisement