Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone Guitarists - The Gig of the future

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Are we looking at a future of just bringing our phone and guitar to the gig and wiring into the PA?!

Wirelessly sending to people's iPods, probably...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Nah sure you've been able to do that with countless software for computers for years. It's just a gimmic. Although it could be pretty cool if it has an 8-track home recording facility and some sort of accompanying software to edit it slightly. Just to see what things sound like together as opposed to anything else. And a drum track thing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I was messing around with some of those music apps through a hi fi before and some of them have real potential for live use. You can have synth parts and instead of bringing a synth you just use your iphone. The guitar thing is pretty cool too, sure you could do this with laptops and interfaces but the iphone is so much more portable. I think in a few years it could be a really viable backup rig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭kneeelix

What about that lovelly interference when a call is incoming?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

iPhones don't have 12AX7 valves.......;)

Another wasp in a jar tone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

iPhones don't have 12AX7 valves.......;)

Another wasp in a jar tone.

So, so true... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

any one who plays a guitar into an iphone needs to be beaten to death with their own face .

there , i said it.

I can see Spinal Tap with a wall of iPhones on stage instead of amps..........not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I like the idea of it as a practice tool, the amplitube one particularly. It's like a headphone amp with a few stomp boxes and more sounds. Very handy.

But I don't have an iphone, and it'd be cheaper to get a decent amp :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I like the idea of it as a practice tool, the amplitube one particularly. It's like a headphone amp with a few stomp boxes and more sounds. Very handy.

But I don't have an iphone, and it'd be cheaper to get a decent amp :D

€30 and a pair of computer computer speakers if you did have one though. With regards tone I've been gigging with a Pod X3 Live straight into the PA in a blues/soul/classic rock band an the afficianados are frequently left stroking their pointy beards regarding the quality of the tone in the absence of some mega tube amp.

I'll order one and I'll do a song with it at a gig for a dare to see what happens. Watch this space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

kneeelix wrote: »
    What about that lovelly interference when a call is incoming?:P

Switch it to airplane mode before the gig.

I like the idea of these apps, but would I use one at a gig? Prob not, but they'd be handy for an inpromtu jam in the local...

And whoever said wasp in a jamjar has never uses guitar rig or amplitube. Sure they're not as good as a plexi, but they ain't ****..,

€30 and a pair of computer computer speakers if you did have one though. With regards tone I've been gigging with a Pod X3 Live straight into the PA in a blues/soul/classic rock band an the afficianados are frequently left stroking their pointy beards regarding the quality of the tone in the absence of some mega tube amp.

Absence of a valve or two i would say. Great technology though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Switch it to airplane mode before the gig.

I like the idea of these apps, but would I use one at a gig? Prob not, but they'd be handy for an inpromtu jam in the local...

And whoever said wasp in a jamjar has never uses guitar rig or amplitube. Sure they're not as good as a plexi, but they ain't ****..,

Good tip on airplane mode but what if an update to my Marshall plexi comes available just before the big solo some night? :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Tsk tsk tom, I'm sure you're aware that with wifi off and airplane mode on no push notifications get through!

Advertisement