Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart set on a husky...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

well i picked the dog up on Saturday, and whilst it was a shock to the system (early mornings) etc, he seems to be settling in fine.
    He's 13 weeks and is going for his second shot this weekend (and kennel cough).
    He sleeps in the utility room during the nite, and we play and train him a little in the morning before we go to work. He has toys, a kennel, food, a blanket and a big garden fenced off to 6ft high all round. We have someone to pop in during the day at around 2 for a play and some food, and then when we come back in the eve, he gets more playtime. We can't walk him at the mo, seen as he hasn't had his shots.
    We don't molly-coddle him, as we don't want to spoil him, but he seems to be getting into the routine and is fairly relaxed when we get home :p
    Here he is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

he's gorgeous Shay congratulations! Ye gotta love 'em! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

aah he's stunning:D congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hi Shay,

I missed this thread so couldn't offer any input but congrats on him, he is a stunning dog. ISDW is always great for advice, pretty much our Husky king pin around here so you can't go wrong with the advice. Train him early and he'll be your best buddy in no time, regarding fetch etc some do it, some don't it depends on how you approach it and the dog of course, My guy loves it if he even see's a ball he's jumping around howling to go out and he brings the ball back everytime and sits for another go so some definatly enjoy it. They are really friendly, outgoing, loving , playfull dogs and you are going to love them. Exercise is important, I jog with him at least once a day to wear him down, they are happiest when active with their masters. Congrats again, heres a picture of Busker chilling out yesturday after dinner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Congrats he gorgeous! We have a 2 year old Samoyed and a 2 year old Husky. The Husky is a recent addition rescue. Wouldn't let either off the lead they would either be under a car or disappearing though a hedge never to be seen again. The couple of times we have had an escape with the Samoyed we were very lucky the outcome was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Rew wrote: »
    Congrats he gorgeous! We have a 2 year old Samoyed and a 2 year old Husky. The Husky is a recent addition rescue. Wouldn't let either off the lead they would either be under a car or disappearing though a hedge never to be seen again. The couple of times we have had an escape with the Samoyed we were very lucky the outcome was good.

Agreed, I've had two scares first time he got out when someone tried to take him out when I was asleep had to dash down the stairs half dressed and run after him, went in front of a car and everything had to stop it, second time he got off the lead and went running, My german sheperd caught him only reason he stopped is cause he thought she was playing, she grabbed him for me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Agreed, I've had two scares first time he got out when someone tried to take him out when I was asleep had to dash down the stairs half dressed and run after him, went in front of a car and everything had to stop it, second time he got off the lead and went running, My german sheperd caught him only reason he stopped is cause he thought she was playing, she grabbed him for me!

Very similar to what happened to us, first time she got out the front door by accident and sprinted off up the road, she only stopped because neighbors dogs started barking and she stopped to bark back!!

Next time she pulled the lead out of my other half's hand to chase a rabbit. 3 fields later there was no sign of her at all until all of a sudden she popped out of a ditch (filthy dirty but ok!). Their chase instinct is missive!

Funnily enough the last time she got out she went across the road and played with the neighbors kids then came home, but if she had seen another dog or a cat on the way she would have gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Since you already have the dog, just a tiny bit of advice, make sure since you're out all day that you do have people coming round regularly. If he is left alone all day with no other dog for company and no visits and stimulation, he's going to end up bored, lonely, unhappy and destructive.

They're an awful lot of work, but worth it IMO, just do right by them :)
    What's the fencing by the way? They're massive escape artists.

Hi koneko,
    thanks for your reply.
    We will have him a week tomorrow and he sleeps in the utility room (with his own cushioned basket type thing) and water. He howled from very early in the morning for the first few days but since yesterday, he has not howled once in the morning and the room has been completely dry!
    We feed him and play with him before we go to work and do a small bit of training too for about half hour.
    I have someone coming in to see him at around 2 every day, for food and a play.
    He has a kennell outside, plenty of toys, blanket, food and water.
    The garden is about 3 times the average terraced size and the ppl who had him between 9 and 12 weeks lived in an apartment, so I guess he's delighted with the space.
    The fencing is over 6 ft high all around.
    He's getting his second set of injections tomorrow so 10 days later the morning and evening walks begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

shay wrote: »
    Hi koneko,
    thanks for your reply.
    I have someone coming in to see him at around 2 every day, for food and a play.
    He has a kennell outside, plenty of toys, blanket, food and water.
    The garden is about 3 times the average terraced size and the ppl who had him between 9 and 12 weeks lived in an apartment, so I guess he's delighted with the space.
    The fencing is over 6 ft high all around.
    He's getting his second set of injections tomorrow so 10 days later the morning and evening walks begin.

Congrats on the dog. Quick question, why did someone have him for 3 weeks after the breeder?

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Congrats on the dog. Quick question, why did someone have him for 3 weeks after the breeder?

the previous ppl took him at 8 weeks and after a week said they weren't prepared for what was involved... [I heard on the grapevine that the son was quite rough with him] and so he was going to be sent back down to the breeder in Limerick, hence the slight lack of preparation on our part (we had to run around the petstore on Friday - the day before we got him)

why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

shay wrote: »
    the previous ppl took him at 8 weeks and after a week said they weren't prepared for what was involved... [I heard on the grapevine that the son was quite rough with him] and so he was going to be sent back down to the breeder in Limerick, hence the slight lack of preparation on our part (we had to run around the petstore on Friday - the day before we got him)

why do you ask?

Well i just would be concerned as to why someone had a pup for 3 weeks and then rehomed it, thats all. They obv didnt even give the dog a chance as 3 weeks is nothing, esp when a pup is concerned so i was only wondering why it had been with someone diff for 3 weeks.

I see what you mean.

I asked in case I missed something else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

My mother has a yr old samoyed and he is forever trying to escape through the smallest of holes in the hedge(which has an electric fence running around it for the horse and he just puts his front paws on it and it doesn't bother him!!)I wouldn't mind but mam has an acre and a half which he gets to run around!I would never ever let a samoyed or huskie of the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Great thread with some very good advice. Not a huskey owner myself (i have a GSD) but my friend has a beautiful sib. Extremely well behaved and obedience trained but as the thread says very difficult to let off lead. Full marks to you Shay for taking your dog care seriously. I hate to hear of pups/dogs of any breed being left alone all day whilst owners are at work so it is good to hear that you have a 'pet walker/carer' calling in the afternoon. Hope your pup brings you many years of joy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah thats a great pic "Haha I have a new harness and YOU don't" :D Well I'm assuming the samoyed doesn't - there may be one hidden in that fluffy coat! :pac:

Congrats on the new addition OP. Plenty of training while he's young and it'll pay off as he gets older - and hopefully not bolder! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 benny194

Missed most of this thread but I own a Samoyed myself and the one big piece of advice I would give is to make sure your fence is buried! Samoyeds, Huskies and Malamutes love to dig. It's hard to get them out of the habit and if they're not exercised enough they'll try and find a way out.

Reading back on some of the posts, reactions are mixed between whether or not you can let your dog off the leash. As long as your dog has a properly trained recall then it should be fine. Just take it slowly. If your husky is off the leash too soonn then you'll have problems. They have huge stamina and love to explore so it might be a while before you see them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

benny194 wrote: »
    Reading back on some of the posts, reactions are mixed between whether or not you can let your dog off the leash. As long as your dog has a properly trained recall then it should be fine. Just take it slowly. If your husky is off the leash too soonn then you'll have problems. They have huge stamina and love to explore so it might be a while before you see them again.

I'm sorry but no, not with siberian huskies. You will not find one breed club or breed welfare organisation anywhere in the world that says that sibes can be let off lead. You can probably let the dog off lead up until about the age of 8/9 months and they will come back to you, but after that if they get a scent or see something, they will be off. If you are lucky they will come back to you, but if there is a road, or a farmer with a gun around, then they probably won't.

Samoyeds and siberians are very different dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Agreed. I have a few, and I love them to bits, but I'd never really trust them off lead. Among breeders, clubs, shelters, there is no mixed reaction, everyone accepts that as a breed they're not dogs you'd let off lead. All it takes is for that one time for them to run off, you'll never catch them with the speed of them, and they could run out into traffic and I can't imagine any farmers being particularly happy if they're running around their land too.

Advertisement