Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website - opinions needed

Options
  • 18-06-2010 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi, I've been redirected to this part of the forum with my query - would be great if you could give me your opinion

I recently bought a small online electronics company and I'm doing everything I can to get it to take off . This included relaunching the website
    www.bestpriceaccessories.ie
    I've already received good marketing ideas from this forum and thought it was worth asking people what they thought. I've asked quite a few people about SEO work but so far nobody has got back to me...........

I'm not a website expert and would need help in redesign/SEO work but am willing to pay. I realised that the credit card payment facility requests users to complete additional info for the Verified by Visa process and I think this is killing sales. Your opinion on this would be great!
    Your help is really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It seems to work OK, but the design doesn't do much for me. I don't like clutter, but your product listing pages are a bit too bare. I don't like the centred orange product titles; seems to make it harder if you're scanning the page for a product.

The gradient effect in the menu dropdowns is quite dated.

You should look into SEO friendly URLs for your products and categories. Pretty sure there's a zen cart module for that.

There's not much information about the company - your contact details should be in the footer of each page. People like to see a phone number too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭dotcom13

Needs loads more content on the front page looks like a mistake to me... I realise thats the way you made it, few images and text to fill up fome sapce.

I've just finished a weddesign course so only a nivice to but I'm sure you would like to know all opinions. I've made two websites, what you think of mine?

www.thebridgecavan.net

www.darwin2perth.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Best Price Accessories

Thanks - I've marked the site down for maintenance for the tiem being - trying to get rid of some bugs.

I had a look at yoru websites - very impressive particularly the Darwin2Perth one - what course did you do? Half thinkign of doing one!

As you've helped me out, I think it's only fair to say that on the cavan website there's a small bug showing unknown symbols for anything with a fada or euro sign and then it'll be perfect.

I seem to be going backwards with the website - it's time to get a php expert involved!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 dotnetster

Yep. The bottom line is: you get what you pay for. Websites and website design is not a commodity. A lot of work goes into it. Take a look at some of the more professional/successful sites and try to emulate (as opposed to copy) these sites.

Web design trends change constantly. For example your gradient drop down menu were popuar in the dark ages. They would be a design no-no these days. You need to get a - good - web designer in to completely overhaul the site. It'll be worth it in the end. This is an online shop, so you will recoup the money in no time. Bite the bullet, and spend the money!

Don't be tempted to hire a relative or friend (unless they are sh*t hot!). Everyone knows somebody who did a computer course and thinks that by default they will be able to produce a stylish profesisonal standards-based website. This just simply ins't the case. I can spot a professional website a mile away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Make the font on the top menu bar slightly smaller. Personally, I don't like the
    We are an Irish Owned & Irish Based... Coming soon - Toy Story DS accessories !!!

section. Having everything centered like that makes it look more like an advertisement at the top of your page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 inov8ionz

Just had a look at the source code, there are alot of mistakes in your code, one example is your "<meta name="description"" is left open and there is an other opening meta tag above it, there are also no title tags or alt tags, all this combined will give you a very bad ranking on the net, so i agree with dotnetster you get what you pay for, you need to look at the professional websites and see the way they SEO and design,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Seems very poor to me. I can only imagine how many millions of sites there are with better layouts and better Google rankings.

Sorry for the harsh criticism but your flogging a dead horse trying to get that site to be succesful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Being an online store that sells electronics and computer equipment the consumer is going to expect the owner of the site to know what he is doing computer-wise, this goes for the site too, if the customer sees a site like that he'll just expect a cowboy internet store.

No offense though its a good attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ablowick

Our company employed a SEO compay called tck in the west of Ireland they brought us up the google rankings for our key words. It important that your customers are able to find your websites . if they cannot see you they cannot by of you,.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Agree with the other posters here. Would you not consider maybe buying yourself a nice modern Zen Cart Template and pay someone to do some modifications to it? Its very dated looking. Sorry to be cruel but it reminds me of the spam mails I get for Electronics Stores in china that only accept western union! There are lots of templates you could apply that would lift the site right up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 brianbaru

There is no need to pay someone to do seo work if you have some spare time on your hands. Once your on site seo is ok you just need to create backlinks. It's not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

brianbaru wrote: »
    There is no need to pay someone to do seo work if you have some spare time on your hands. Once your on site seo is ok you just need to create backlinks. It's not rocket science.
    first: the site is down.
    second: this thread is 2 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement