Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Claiming Ownership Of Communal Parking Spots

Options
  • 18-06-2010 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Has anyone else experienced neighbours claiming ownership of communal parking spots in an estate and been able to resolve the issue?

They tell you that you shouldn't park there because they "own" 2 particular spots? :confused: Even when I got the deeds for their house, and brought them over to them - clearly showing they didn't "own" any spots - yet they still think they do??? There is tons of space on the road yet they are claiming these 2 particular spots. Whats the craic?

If you have experienced this, have you a solution to sorting out these donkeys who are claiming ownership of public property!? And giving them a hiding is not one unfortunately!! :D

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Has anyone else experienced neighbours claiming ownership of communal parking spots in an estate and been able to resolve the issue?

They tell you that you shouldn't park there because they "own" 2 particular spots? :confused: Even when I got the deeds for their house, and brought them over to them - clearly showing they didn't "own" any spots - yet they still think they do??? There is tons of space on the road yet they are claiming these 2 particular spots. Whats the craic?

If you have experienced this, have you a solution to sorting out these donkeys who are claiming ownership of public property!? And giving them a hiding is not one unfortunately!! :D

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Once your car is taxed then its first come first served :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Stark wrote: »
    Just ignore them.

Tried that. Never worked.

They constantly block us in by parking behind us even though there are spaces everywhere, even beside these 2 particular spots. So its very bizarre! It must be tough going for people like them when your an unintelligent clown :)

Our cars are being banged and scraped by their car doors, or the mirrors are being hit. Purposely obviously! It's a joke.

Management company won't do anything either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Are you in a new estate?
    Do you have a management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Is it that the parking spaces are outside your house? Is it that it's causing a lot of hassle and annoyance?

Yes, you could get into an argument with them about it but have a good long think about whether or not this is a deal breaker for you.

I know when people act stupidly it's incredibly easy to get very upset and develop a very vested interest in it.

However, take a step back, is it that they are unreasonable in other areas or is this the only one? Unlike a few years ago we're now back to a scenario where people are likely to be your neighbours for a very long time. Just be careful with the battles you pick.

I know it's very annoying but at the same time, have a good think about whether or not it's worth developing a bad relationship with your neighbours?

I've the odd problem with people parking outside my house occasionally but I really just think to myself - ok, if that's the worst thing I've to up with, I can put up with this.

And remember, even when you're discussing this with them, then keep doing the smile and saying hello when you see them so that things stay relatively civilised.

• Advertisement

Vanbis wrote: »
    Once your car is taxed then its first come first served :p

I wish they would understand this. Everyone else on the road seems to. As I said, it's not as if there are no free spaces. There are at least 6-10 free spaces on the road free every evening. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Tried that. Never worked.

They constantly block us in by parking behind us even though there are spaces everywhere, even beside these 2 particular spots. So its very bizarre! It must be tough going for people like them when your an unintelligent clown :)

Our cars are being banged and scraped by their car doors, or the mirrors are being hit. Purposely obviously! It's a joke.

Management company won't do anything either. :mad:

I'd get banned if I really told you what I would do..
    so to avoid that I would suggest trying to get some video footage catching them in the act and bring a case against them or just report it to the Gardai.

However, take a step back, is it that they are unreasonable in other areas or is this the only one? Unlike a few years ago we're now back to a scenario where people are likely to be your neighbours for a very long time. Just be careful with the battles you pick.

I know it's very annoying but at the same time, have a good think about whether or not it's worth developing a bad relationship with your neighbours?

And remember, even when you're discussing this with them, then keep doing the smile and saying hello when you see them so that things stay relatively civilised.

The spaces are beside my house. We have done nothing but explained the situation to them and showed them details in case they had been misinformed. But that hasnt stop them from pursuing an intimidation campaign against us! :(

A couple of people have said before "Why don't we just park elsewhere?".....

my response to that has always been.....

"Why? We have just as much of a right to park there when the spaces are available as they do. Why should they take things in to their own hands by vandalising our cars and blocking us in and attempting to bully us because they are in the wrong and know they are in the wrong!" :mad:

Its all very frustrating! :(

Zamboni wrote: »
    I'd get banned if I really told you what I would do..
    so to avoid that I would suggest trying to get some video footage catching them in the act and bring a case against them or just report it to the Gardai.

haha! :D tell me about it - I have tons of ideas but nothing that wouldn't come back around on me!

We have a ton of photos of the crap they get up to. Have had the gards up but they won't do anything about it. Sent photos and details to management company solicitor and nothing happened..... hence the thread started here to see if anyone has ideas that may have been through this before!! :)

I mean, seriously, when you read documentation from the land registry showing what you own and don't own, grow a pair of balls, realise you are wrong,deal with it and move on!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

The spaces are beside my house. We have done nothing but explained the situation to them and showed them details in case they had been misinformed. But that hasnt stop them from pursuing an intimidation campaign against us! :(

A couple of people have said before "Why don't we just park elsewhere?".....

my response to that has always been.....

"Why? We have just as much of a right to park there when the spaces are available as they do? Why should they take things in to their own hands by vandalising our cars and blocking us in and attempting to bully us because they are in the wrong and know they are in the wrong!" :mad:

Its all very frustrating! :(
    Didn't see this as I was typing my response.

Don't have any major ideas but I wanted to sympathise with what's happening. That's really upsetting.

Do they own the house? (in other words any hope of them leaving?)

With management companies, they need a shoe up the arse to do anything. Keep trying... I hope that they will help.

Would a web cam over the parking spots help?

And is their house beside yours or something? Why do they want teh car parking spaces beside your house?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The solution is an action for slander of title. They are claiming ownership over property they do not own.

Don't have any major ideas but I wanted to sympathise with what's happening. That's really upsetting.

Cheers mate - you have no idea what a pain in the backside it is! :(

Do they own the house? (in other words any hope of them leaving?)

They do indeed. As for any hope of them leaving, I wish! It would be fantastic though! :)

With management companies, they need a shoe up the arse to do anything. Keep trying... I hope that they will help.

Not a hope.... dont know how many times I have tried emailing and calling over the past 6 weeks and nothing. There was no problem with contacting them while I had to do the work and get photos etc in to them. But when its their turn to actually do something, they don't bother their backside. Ridiculous! :mad:

Would a web cam over the parking spots help?

I have been considering this for a while. Might buy one of the wireless lan cams. I have photos, I just need to get a proper video and id be sorted! :)

And is their house beside yours or something? Why do they want teh car parking spaces beside your house?

Yeah, its the next house down. There are a number of communal parking spots. And as to why they want the spots - who knows?? They still believe they own them so I assume thats why! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

SO communal means any person living in the estate can park there ,so these are stupid people who have decided this is my spot, like someone who go s to a pub and sits at the same table every night. i do not see any legal solution to this.IF you catch them on video doing something illegal ,then you,ll have to bring em to court.
    say theres 20 homes there ,the management company could mark out 20 spaces and give each house 1 or 2spaces, and say the rest of the spaces are free to all,residents or visitors , whoever wants to park there at a particular time.they,d probably have to get each resident to sign an agreement to stick by this.
    ARE you just annoyed by this or is it like i need to park in front of my home, in case some1 trys to rob my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you both equal, ordinary owner-occupiers?
    Even when I got the deeds for their house,
    How did you get them?
    and brought them over to them - clearly showing they didn't "own" any spots - yet they still think they do???
    Why do they think they do?

Did some estate agent just fob them off at some point with "you park there"?

Are they otherwise awkward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Op, I had this problem before...

I always parked where there was a spot, and when there was no spots I parked elsewhere, but this one asshole used to tell me "I aquired the communal area, I own it" As he was twice our age at the time, I could tell he was talking crap trying to scare me out of my spot. Since I was a lot bigger than he was he couldn't really intimidate me. So I kept on parking there. This asshole would park his car behind mine, completely blocking me off, I worked in Dublin and lived in Carlow at the time so I got up very early, I would bang on his door in the morning to get him up and ordered (not asked politely), in a very pissed off way to move his car immediately. There was two other people in my little estate that done this to me, one as the tenant of the guy I talked about, the other was a foreign lad who got his landlord to knock on my door. Told them all to F off and deal with it. I eventually went to the Gardai and told them they blocked my car and I couldn't go to work. They said they were causing an obstruction and it was illegal. They never parked behind me after this ;)

Don't ring the Gardai, go down to them and ask to speak to somebody. No offence to anybody here, but somebody with a bit of authority. If you don't get the answer you need, then talk to somebody else. They are causing an obstruction and it is illegal. Gardai sometimes don't want to deal with this though. If you can get any proof I suggest sewing your asshole neighbours for damages against your car.

They probably think it's their spot as they have been parking there for years, and they bully others out of it. To hell with them though really. Be awkward to them, but be careful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

The gardai will not do anything about someone blocking your car in and preventing you from going to work? You need to talk to a different Garda.

Keep parking there, gather evidence of them damaging your car and blocking you in and get the gardai involved.

the gardai would regard this as a civil ,not a criminal matter, communal means whoever gets there first can park there ,if you are a resident.
    have you a residents association ,could you have a meeting re parking issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ricman wrote: »
    the gardai would regard this as a civil ,not a criminal matter, communal means whoever gets there first can park there ,if you are a resident.

its criminal if they damage your car though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you cared to read my post, you would find that you are wrong.

It's obstruction, it's an offence. I know because I actually asked a garda instead of assuming I knew...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thebiglad

It is a matter which must be dealt with by Management Company - get on to them and make them deal with it!

• Advertisement

I just think the gardai have more important things to do than deal with parking issues ,unless you catch someone ,on video doing something criminal
    unless you are willing to go to go to court and accuse someone of intimidation or threatening behavior .You could ask the local community garda to speak to this person and tell him he has no legal right to claim this space as his space and threaten anyone else who uses it .
    They are probably more concerned with dealing with drug dealing , burglary ,mugging ,robbed cars etc
    i am not a legal expert, just giving my opinion.
    Of course if someone threatens you,or damages your car its a criminal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

I just think the gardai have more important things to do than deal with parking issues ,unless you catch someone ,on video doing something criminal
    unless you are willing to go to go to court and accuse someone of intimidation or threatening behavior .You could ask the local community garda to speak to this person and tell him he has no legal right to claim this space as his space and threaten anyone else who uses it .
    They are probably more concerned with dealing with drug dealing , burglary ,mugging ,robbed cars etc
    i am not a legal expert, just giving my opinion.
    Of course if someone threatens you,or damages your car its a criminal matter.

If it blocks your exit / entrance from your home then its a criminal matter
    Road Traffic (Traffic & Parking) regulations

A vehicle shall not be parked

- in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

Had a friend in a similar situation with a neighbour who insisted they owned their spot which they didn't. After blocking them on more than one occasion, they got the gardai involved who politely informed them in future they could be fined for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

say theres 20 homes there ,the management company could mark out 20 spaces and give each house 1 or 2spaces, and say the rest of the spaces are free to all,residents or visitors , whoever wants to park there at a particular time.they,d probably have to get each resident to sign an agreement to stick by this.

Not always possible, our planning permission states parking spaces cannot be allocated. It could also be a condition of the leases/deeds that spaces are not allocated.

Ours aren't and we have a few owners who think they own the spaces but our MA are very fast to correct any such misguided thought!

Advertisement