Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top trumps...the old ones

Options
  • 18-06-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone here play Top Trumps before they sold out to Hollywood studios and did movie tie-ins?

I'm talking about the packs that included 'Wild West', 'Rockets' 'Supercars' etc?
    I spent days playing those. Is it possible to get these anywhere now? Do they sell a range of 'classic' Top Trumps anywhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Loved the space aliens ones. The tribble looking thing was useless but I remember there was one really powerful character he could beat that looked like a praying mantis.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The super hero ones were great, really balanced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I had the Wild West deck and the Horror Monsters deck. They were epic.

I also had Scramblers, Freight Trains and Tractors, but the other two were the shiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just looked on the TopTrumps website and they don't do the old ones anymore :(

I really loved the Wild West deck

'Number of kills' was one of the categories for each cowboy...not sure they would be allowed to do that these days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Jesse James killed more men than anyone else if I recall. he was the top trump in the western. I recall Godzilla and Dracula being top trump in the Horror.

• Advertisement

That's right Bill, there was also a card for 'The Dalton gang' if I recall correctly (iirc), so it wasn't just individuals on each card. I loved that deck.

On another note, does anyone think the New Top Trumps cards are too big? I much preferred the old ones for two reasons.

1. The cards were the size of regular playing cards
    2. The box fit snugly around them so they weren't bulky to carry around.

The new ones are just too large and too bulky and rely far too much on branded tie-ins for my liking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The classic Top Trumps kicked ass...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Galactus, Thor, Lambo Diablo and Rangers FC could do some serious damage between them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The super hero ones were great, really balanced!

Yeah, my friend had the superhero and villains decks, which you could combine for a mega game that lasted probably too long.
    Bill2673 wrote: »
    Jesse James killed more men than anyone else if I recall. he was the top trump in the western.

There was one other guy who had the same number of kills. Can't remember off the bat. Think it was one of the less celebrated cowboys. Maybe Wild Bill Hicock?

Another great deck was the fantasy deck. Very well balanced. And some great illustrations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Oh yeah, Top Trumps. Brother and myself had some of the originals in the 70s:-

Foorball Stars
    Cricket Stars
    Supercars
    Speedboats
    Planes
    Ships
    Military Vehicles
    Fabulous Buggies
    Stockcars
    etc etc

and I used to learn stuff from them - learnt that Peter Shilton (ex England goalkeeper from the 70s who could still do a better job than James/Green combined) had actually scored a goal.

Can still pick up these original Waddingtons Top Trumps from Ebay if you look hard enough between the adverts for all the modern dross...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I remember the wild west ones. Were they called "outlaws" or something? Black Bart was the worst. The description on the back said he robbed people and left a poem and a flower as his calling card.

Rockets (titan was the best), heavy tractors, 4x4 (ford bronco was the best), dinosaurs (t rex - food 8). I remember someone had star wars vehicles ones, the death star was the best

Yeah I had the rockets one and the Supercars one too. I loved both of those decks. I'd love to look at the supercars deck today and compare them with modern supercars to see the difference :)

They could re-launch the old deck as Classic supercars I suppose, although because it's a new company who own the Top Trumps name, I don't think they bought the rights to reproduce the old decks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Where in 2015 Dublin will I find traditional Top Trump cards?
    I'm looking for a few packs with cool planes, ships, trains etc. (not disney editions.. Toymaster & Smyths seems to stock only that stuff)
    Thank you!

Advertisement