Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing - What comes a standard?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Have submitted my details to local council for an AH.

Im just wondering what comes as standard in the house i.e Fireplace, kitchen unit etc or are they all different?

Also, really embarrasing question, but has to be asked!- Are radiators a standard in any house or something I would have to sort out myself?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

The finish will depend on the unit you are buying and can vary greatly. You should get radiators though! ;) You won't know the finish until you're offered a unit to purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

i think affordable houses are heated by gas or oil usually so there has to be a boiler ,with a timer,and immersion unit, as part of the central heating system.SO each room would have at least one radiator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

Fitted kitchen and firplace seems to be fairly standard too and magnolia Walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I bought an affordable house a few years ago - some items are included, others aren't, you also don't have to take what they are offering to include if you don't like it - just remind them to take that off the price!!!

In a nutshell every unit & complex is different.

For me, I got all my kitchen units in, kitchen floor was tiled, bathroom was completely finished, ensuite was completely finished, built in wardrobes in the bedrooms. All my walls were painted white too :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MRBEAVER wrote: »
    Fitted kitchen and firplace seems to be fairly standard too and magnolia Walls.

Fitted kitchen- is not standard.
    It depends on the unit.
    Minimum specs for an AH unit would include a heating system installed, and plumbing & electrics throughout. You may or may not have a fitted kitchen and/or bathroom- it would depend on the unit.

Shop around- even with AH units- the specs vary massively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clippette

Thanks for the info,

Cant shop around im afraid, I have applied to Kerry CC, so I either take the house I will be offered or turn it down and wait another year/year and half for the next round!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Clippette wrote: »
    Thanks for the info,

Cant shop around im afraid, I have applied to Kerry CC, so I either take the house I will be offered or turn it down and wait another year/year and half for the next round!

Don't automatically assume there will be another round. The whole Affordable Housing scheme is being discussed as part of the negative equity equation- the current idea being that they roll the 3 proposals in together- the current sticking point is what to do with pre-existing home owners in negative equity who wish to trade down.

Its a bit unfortunate that the three schemes are being rolled in with one another- but thats the times we're in.......

Advertisement