Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did DCG go for ya???

• 18-06-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Was it just me or was that goegraphical goemetry far too easy... I hope I didnt make a mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭user12

I only got part A of it but I thought that was dead easy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭user12

I was abit annoyed that the triangle question was changed dramaticalll! :(

Oh yeah, I got two separate lines for that. I think it was a simply inclined plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

****. ****. ****. Bastid. Bollox...

Yep, I'm sure I did ****e! Got two questions almost fully out, part a of geographic geometry, 2.5 short questions, and just started b2 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

The tersecting planes were ABC and ABD so the line of intersection was AB....jus look perpendicular to it in plan, then along it and it gave dihedral angle (was around 160 r 170 degrees)

The hyperbolic parabaloid was píss easy...the woman with the hat one....dead simple!

The interpenetration took about 15mins....didn't even need an auxiliary!

Geologica Geometry was easy....given the strike, dip took 2 or 3 mins to get, then jus measure 25mm away and draw another parallel line which gives the footwall....thickness of the stratum was just the shortest dist between headwall and footwall...

Parabola in section A was dead simple, Oblique plane in section A was straightforward....

...finished over an hour early....reckon I got a solid A anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Pretty Tricky. I wonder how much Aviva paid the SEC for that question :p
    What did ye get for the thicnkess in geologic geometry? Roughly 40 or 50 mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Couldn't have gone better tbh. I think the only thing i didn't do great was getting the vertical and horizontal traces in the planes question. Depending on how good my project is, i could possibly get an A1! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I officially hate anyone who thought it was easy. No offence.

To get the dip what did you guys do... I just extended the strike and the points as a single line. Found the dip. Then I marked 25 back from f and found the perpendicular distance. That was too easy I hope I didnt miss something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Thought the Dynamic mechanisms was grand but jesus the assembly! I just couldn't picture what went where....Ended up drawing components randomly :D:D I'll lose marks for positioning I know...

Anyone remember what angle they got for the cut plane yoke in Sec A?

I'd be very, very happy to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

The tersecting planes were ABC and ABD so the line of intersection was AB....jus look perpendicular to it in plan, then along it and it gave dihedral angle (was around 160 r 170 degrees)

The hyperbolic parabaloid was píss easy...the woman with the hat one....dead simple!

Geologica Geometry was easy....given the strike, dip took 2 or 3 mins to get, then jus measure 25mm away and draw another parallel line which gives the footwall....thickness of the stratum was just the shortest dist between headwall and footwall...

Parabola in section A was dead simple, Oblique plane in section A was straightforward....

There wasn't an interpenetration, or I hope there wasn't anyway cos I was banking on it! Other than that I was very happy with the paper, Roads was easy and planes was grand aswell, did all of Section B but 2 of those q's weren't learnt by me so I'll lose some marks there. Overall it was a lot better than expected! :D

You had to find the angle? **** I must have missed that bit I just drew the object cut in plan + elevation..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

There was no interpenetration was there:confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

45 degrees, They'll give anything between 40 and 50 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

user12 wrote: »
    I was abit annoyed that the triangle question was changed dramaticalll! :(

the only difference was that u were given the line of intersection this year as opposed to having to find it last year. my dihedral angle was about 165-170 degrees:P awesome test overall:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Rossie17 wrote: »
    Was it just me or was that goegraphical goemetry far too easy... I hope I didnt make a mistake...

how big was the semicircle supposed to be.. i guessed 10mm... other than that it was really easy.. the rising road part was all embankments so it was just 10mm apart the whole way across and that was it..

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

There was no interpenetration was there:confused:?

Not in B anyway. Also this year was a lot easier than last year. Hopefully they mark the projects harder to make up for it.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    how big was the semicircle supposed to be.. i guessed 10mm... other than that it was really easy.. the rising road part was all embankments so it was just 10mm apart the whole way across and that was it..

ya i did 10 too it was right :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mmmmmmmKayyyy

Yeah grandest.. For the hyperbollic parabaloid (hat) question, did anyone else get the horizontal trace parallel to BC? If not, how did you do it? ha:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Can't believe how easy it was.

Section C was piss easy. We've been doing those hard surface geometry Qs out of the Folens books and this was ten times easier, plus our teacher just went over it this morning in due time.

Road and mining was a little weird, why did the division of lines one of the lines on the triangle?

The perspective was tricky but I think I got it completely right, aux VPs and all!

The one thing I didn't get was the last part of the planes one.

Yeah grandest.. For the hyperbollic parabaloid (hat) question, did anyone else get the horizontal trace parallel to BC? If not, how did you do it? ha:pac:

ya it was meant to be parralel to bc you have it so that it contains ad then bring it over to contain bc extend it ti touch the gound line and bring it straight up and bring B on elevation across to touch it ( thats your point on vertical trace) then just join wher ad touches the gound line to that point and there u have it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Was easy apart from the assembly was fairy horrible..

Was easy apart from the assembly was fairy horrible..

assembly looked aweful alrite ...avoided it like the plague

mahonykid wrote: »
    then just join wher ad touches the gound line to that point and there u have it
    did u mean that u get where BC touches the ground line ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

You know when you walk into a Korean restaurant and you're not entirely sure of the language. You basically pick something at random and hope for the best, you're optimistic about your choice. Next thing the waiter comes out with a brain hemorrhage on a bed of toenails. Ladies and gentlemen.... That is how the Design exam went

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Can someone just tell me in Q B-2 Part D what's the true angle between traces?
    I wrote at the bottom of the page that it would be 90 degrees, cause they're on the vertical and horizontal planes.....
    I got the angle of inclination to the horizontal plane just in case though as well cause I didn't really understand it......

did u mean that u get where BC touches the ground line ya?
    ya thats it .hard to explain

mahonykid wrote: »
    ya thats it .hard to explain
    job thanks, if thats the case, i made that exam my bitch:D

• Advertisement

job thanks, if thats the case, i made that exam my bitch:D

i was surprised on how easy it was ...i failed the pre like.... i feel as if a b1 is on my way now:p

Advertisement