Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did DCG go for ya???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mmmmmmmKayyyy

mahonykid wrote: »
    i was surprised on how easy it was ...i failed the pre like.... i feel as if a b1 is on my way now:p
    ya same, our whole class thought it was handy. ya id be hopin b1 maybe a if the examiner is a good person haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I too failed the pre but that wasn't too bad at all. Sure Im only after a C3 overall. Remember the exam is only 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

Conor108 wrote: »
    I too failed the pre but that wasn't too bad at all. Sure Im only after a C3 overall. Remember the exam is only 60%
    id say lots failed pre cos we were workin right up to the pre on the project and didnt do a tap on the practical stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

Short questions, easy-peasy got them done without any hassle.

I did B1,B3,C2 and C3.

B1- Completely screwed up on the perspective drawing, but got the plan and elevation done fine.

B3-All done apart from finding the traces of the plane.

C2-All done apart from finding the traces (again)

C3- Fully done, no hassle.

So, all in all I was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

THAT WAS AMAZING! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

MyHair wrote: »
    Short questions, easy-peasy got them done without any hassle.

I did B1,B3,C2 and C3.

B1- Completely screwed up on the perspective drawing, but got the plan and elevation done fine.

B3-All done apart from finding the traces of the plane.

C2-All done apart from finding the traces (again)

C3- Fully done, no hassle.

So, all in all I was happy.
    You didnt have to draw the elevation on b1

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Dont have the paper here now but there was an interpenetration!

The building in florida or whereven it was....B2 i think....
    It was a cylinder interpenetrating the basic rectangular building, was one of the cut types rather than the two solid bodies intersecting type?

The thickness of the stratum hadto be less than 25mm because the headwall was 25mm from the footwall perpendicular to X1 Y1 so the 25mm was the hypotenuse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SolarCreed

Thought the Dynamic mechanisms was grand but jesus the assembly! I just couldn't picture what went where....Ended up drawing components randomly :D:D I'll lose marks for positioning I know...

Anyone remember what angle they got for the cut plane yoke in Sec A?

I'd be very, very happy to pass

I think it was in and around 40degree's.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrkrgn2

easiest paper i've ever seen and probably will ever do. did all the shorts, all the b's and c-1 and c-2. i hope they don't change up the marking scheme because too many people got A's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

It actually wasn't that bad. I got 3 out of 4 long questions "done" and then i started two others and did them as far as I could.

I made a few mistakes though, mainly in the Surface gemoetry one, where you had to make a seperate development of Sides B+C, I simply got the true lengths and "attached" them to the sides of the existing elevation, shouldn't lose too much marks though hopefully :)

Another was in the Intersecting planes where I, by my own laziness, was marking the "up-20" and "down-70" of point C I think it was, I marked up 20 by placing the set square on 20 at the "xy" line and Of Course I only mesaured down 50mm then instead of 70 :o ... I got the Dihedral angle etc, Just it will be a little bit different. For the True shape I just used the true length of the other side :) ... I also left a little note on the sheet about this mistake :cool: :P

Didn't go too bad, looking for a C2 so Hopefully I should get it :D

• Advertisement

I think that exam was worryingly easy, I keep thinking did I miss something or not like that question B-3 where they gave you the intersection, at first glance it was like, *t **** is goin on here* but twas handy out! And those short questions were a joke, along with C-2!
    All in all very happy with that exam, on to physics!
    Id say marking will be rough......

mrkrgn2 wrote: »
    easiest paper i've ever seen and probably will ever do. did all the shorts, all the b's and c-1 and c-2. i hope they don't change up the marking scheme because too many people got A's

Couldn't agree more!*high5*haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mmmmmmmKayyyy

i just realised i screwed up the auxiliary vanishin point in perspective,, so pissed with myself.. how much do ye reckon Id lose for that ha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Titan9

Was that auxiliary vanishing point above or below the drawing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Not too shabby a paper, easy C, hard A, just the way it should be really.

Dynamic was beautiful, couldn't have asked for a nicer question! Blanked on Geologic though, still cant get over something as easy as B-2 being on the paper (I'm assuming thats what everyones calling interpenetration, its not!) although I forgot how to do the D part, lovely short questions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 00cruzer

i was very happy with that,perspective was sound,got full marks in that,da question with 2 triangles was tricky,i jus got true lenght of the line and then a point view of that to get dihedral angle.the point B was not touchin the line so it 90 degrees until it touched.the road question seemee to easy if you ask me,jus hope i got it right,My thickness was 30mm.the actual road part was simpledynamin mechanisms was sooo easy,got like a heart shape for the locus.short questions wer easy nuf too.Thats a good B in the bag!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

Titan9 wrote: »

It was below the left vanishing point and drawing but a bit above the ground line (if I recall correctly).
    i just realised i screwed up the auxiliary vanishin point in perspective,, so pissed with myself.. how much do ye reckon Id lose for that ha?

Well according to the marking scheme of the perspective drawing from last year (albeit a part A) "Finding AVP" was 2/20 marks, presuming you drew in the sloped edges with some sort of AVP (right or wrong). If you did a method which got you an AVP which still worked relatively well I reckon you'll only lose about 4/45 marks for that.

----

Also, there was no interpenetration question this year. Yee're confusing it with whatever B-2 was.
    Exam papers for DCG are up already btw. Here's section A (i.e. the one you couldn't bring home)
    http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC562ALP014EV.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think I did OK but I'll probs scrape a C3 (Hopefully including my NES project).

To all those who said it was hard, it could have been sooooooooooo much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No interpenetration. It was just like a weird balloon-cock shaped dent in the front.:D
    Shorts were piss.
    B2, B3, C1 and C2...were easy.
    I am delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

Titan9 wrote: »

i put it below the horizon line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

It... was... so... HARD!

I hope I at least passed...
    The perspective was so hard! How did you get the roof bit? And in the short questions how did you do the skew lines one and the thing holding the apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I feel really bad with everyone saying it was an easy paper but I thought it was horrible! No solids questions:(

Ah thank god I'm not alone, I thought it was hard! Struggle with DCG, never should have taken it but too late now:D Yeah anyone explain how to do the apple holding prism in Section A:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Ah thank god I'm not alone, I thought it was hard! Struggle with DCG, never should have taken it but too late now:D Yeah anyone explain how to do the apple holding prism in Section A:cool:
    The axonometric yoke?
    Just bring up the points from plan, bring them down from the elevation and well, join the dots.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Did anyone get the last question on the assembly?That was a really difficult question compared to last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loocas

Gutted. It wasn't that hard a paper, the two triangles was the only thing was really clueless about. Everything I recognized, and could only get about halfway through because I hadn't studied enough up to the exam, bar one or two which I could do. I got nearly top marks for the project according to my teacher, and usually get high marks so I was expecting a high B or even an A, but I think I only got a C in the end :(

Like I said, gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

What is assemblies actually like? It looks feckin crazy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

If only interpenetration came up instead of the first two b parts then I'd be looking for a B1 but now I don't really know:(I'd take a B3 at this stage

What is assemblies actually like? It looks feckin crazy :confused:

Its like trying to put Ikea stuff together but in drawings:D This years one was WAY harder! That juicer from 09 was graaaand:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

A generally fair and easy enough exam. And it was my last exam so I'm happy it went well. :D I finished on a good note! :D:p

Short questions couldn't have been easier. When I was doing the parabola question I was thinking "this is too easy, I must have done something wrong" So yeah, short questions were simple.
    I then did B-1, perspective, which was ok, it took me a while to actually try to visualise it in my mind.
    B-3, was grand, took me a minute to cop on that AB was the line of intersection :rolleyes:
    C-1, roads and mining, very simple question, no complaints there.
    C-2, that just couldn't have been easier, although I might have got those traces messed up.
    And my project was outstanding. :p:D:D
    Overall I did much better than I had expected to! :D

Advertisement