Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did DCG go for ya???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

Mmcd wrote: »
    You didnt have to draw the elevation on b1

Whoops, didn't see that you only had to do the plan :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I compleeetely forgot how to get the auxiliary vanishing poin for B-1 so I just took a random point for it & completed the roof using that!

Im actually very happy with how the paper went! Going on how I left my mock in tears cos I felt I f***ed up so badly, & ended up gettin 54%, Im hoping for a pwetty good mark! :D ... Hopefully!...I better not be speaking too soon though! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mmmmmmmKayyyy

How were u meanta do the thickness of the stratum in mining geometry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

On question C-2 of the ladies hat, In the Elevation the bottom curve, what shape is it????????? A Parabola? My friend said its a parabola I'm not sure now... :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

How were u meanta do the thickness of the stratum in mining geometry?

What I did was I made a parallel line to the dip, 25mm (given thickness) below it and measured the perpendicular distance between the two lines, which was about 22.5mm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GAAmadd

Wasnt too bad now generally a handy enough paper. Messed up a few questions though.
    B-1 Could only draw the plan PP HL GL and a few other lines so attempted B-2 but couldnt do that atal.
    B-3 handy enough think think I got it all apart from traces.
    C-1 was grand road was handy but couldnt get the thickness.
    C-2 was handy but also think i got the traces wrong again. I think the vertical trace was supposed to be straight up ya?
    All in all though happy enough with the paper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Fernicia wrote: »
    What I did was I made a parallel line to the dip, 25mm (given thickness) below it and measured the perpendicular distance between the two lines, which was about 22.5mm.

That's what i did too.. it almost seems too easy to be right :L

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mr_paddy

wel it went great for me i wz going to take the higher paper but am glad i didnt would have lost time thinking about it and get nothing done :rolleyes: i took the pass paper and just flew by it and even got to do the extra Q on B1 so i shouldnt have any down falls hopefuly :D and would u get more % for the higher porject if u took the pass paper or what goes on there??

What did everyone get for the traces from the planes and hat questions? Was the traces on the planes horizontal and the ones for the hat straight up in elevation??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

how many marks would i lose for getting the distance of the spectator wrong in the perspective question??

• Advertisement

RedRebel92 wrote: »
    how many marks would i lose for getting the distance of the spectator wrong in the perspective question??
    Not too many i say they will probably just take a few off your overall mark of the question at the end

Ya i did that too. But if you measured down 25mm and its parallel, then surely the perpendicular distance between them is still 25mm?

GAAmadd wrote: »
    What did everyone get for the traces from the planes and hat questions? Was the traces on the planes horizontal and the ones for the hat straight up in elevation??
    in the planes one I got my Horizontal Trace nearly horizontal but I didn bother tryin to get the Vertical Trace cuz I thought I got the HT wrong.

And for the hat one, ya thats right it is straight up.. I did it wrong in the exam but then realised when I got home that was it..:(

in the planes one I got my Horizontal Trace nearly horizontal but I didn bother tryin to get the Vertical Trace cuz I thought I got the HT wrong.

And for the hat one, ya thats right it is straight up.. I did it wrong in the exam but then realised when I got home that was it..:(

Ya thats exactly what I did. I got the traces as horizontal and then said it had to be wrong so changed it. I then extended abc to the ground where I got the dihedral angle and brought sumtin up parallel and across to meet it in elevation which is completey wrong.
    And for the traces 1 I had two different vertical traces in vertical(correct one) and a different one but used the different one.:mad: Although you can still see the vertical one so ya think I might get some marks for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Marks for the traces are minimal anyway I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Thats exactly what I did.

I drew an elevation of the three points, went down 25mm from F up in elevation to find the footwall. Then using my compass marked the distance up from the ground and measured that up from my dip part of the question, drew a parallel line through this point to the dip and took the distance as the perpendicular of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

It was definetly easier than any exam in the past, i flew through it and was finished it in just over 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Ya i did that too. But if you measured down 25mm and its parallel, then surely the perpendicular distance between them is still 25mm?

The vertical distance between the planes will be 25mm , the perpendicular was around 23mm

On question C-2 of the ladies hat, In the Elevation the bottom curve, what shape is it????????? A Parabola? My friend said its a parabola I'm not sure now...

double GG wrote: »
    On question C-2 of the ladies hat, In the Elevation the bottom curve, what shape is it????????? A Parabola? My friend said its a parabola I'm not sure now...
    Not exactly a parabola you had to find where your lines hit the circle in plan and bring them up to where they met the lines in elev and join the dots

• Advertisement

Not exactly a parabola you had to find where your lines hit the circle in plan and bring them up to where they met the lines in elev and join the dots

You mean to where they hit the elipse right? thats what i did :o

double GG wrote: »
    You mean to where they hit the elipse right? thats what i did :o
    Ta thats it simple enough now.

Ya thats exactly what I did. I got the traces as horizontal and then said it had to be wrong so changed it. I then extended abc to the ground where I got the dihedral angle and brought sumtin up parallel and across to meet it in elevation which is completey wrong.
    And for the traces 1 I had two different vertical traces in vertical(correct one) and a different one but used the different one.:mad: Although you can still see the vertical one so ya think I might get some marks for it?
    ha ya the vertical one is right, thats it when it goes tru B lik.. I had the vertical but then I changed it to the other "wrong" one, which is very annoyin.. Made so many stupid mistakes in that exam, still reckon I should be lukin at a B1 or maybe an A.. Thats goin by last years markin scheme though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SolarCreed

I think marking will be rough for this exam......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

SolarCreed wrote: »

Joyous.......

Conor108 wrote: »
    Joyous.......
    Indeed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

SolarCreed wrote: »

Why...

Why?

Just after reading the Irish times and the majority of comments here, the general verdict that it was a nice, very do-able, almost easy paper, but then again they wanted to make it easier because the amount of A1's was down by 4% last year, so maybe they want more people to do well......we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

I wouldn't be too worried about the marking scheme, guys. DCG is quite a hit or miss subject in the sense that if you get the solution out correctly you're pretty much guaranteed full marks (As opposed to say, English where they can come up with many different ways to mark down your work).
    Take last year for example. They didn't get many A's so they made this year easier, rather than making last year's marking scheme easier. They'll probably just find that this year they got too many A's and they'll make next year more difficult.

• Advertisement

Thats true....hopefully they'll be nice, I'm really relying on it for points!

Advertisement