Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom passes BB Milestone.

Options
  • 18-06-2010 6:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

eircom have now BB enabled around 75% of their exchanges leaving only 25% of them undone at this time of which most are small with 10-300 lines. 900 out of 1200 exchanges are enabled.

Of the 900 enabled exchanges slightly over half are ADSL2 enabled and offering 24mbit speeds and the remainder can only support 'up to' 8mbits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    eircom have now BB enabled around 75% of their exchanges leaving only 25% of them undone at this time of which most are small with 10-300 lines. 900 out of 1200 exchanges are enabled.

Of the 900 enabled exchanges slightly over half are ADSL2 enabled and offering 24mbit speeds and the remainder can only support 'up to' 8mbits.
    It funny if our goverment had of gave the money to eircom instead of 3 they would had the other 300 line done by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I doubt it. Maybe a handful. At more than 4km to 7km from exchange the lines might not meet NBS speed of 1.2Mbps, assuming ADSL2+ and lines actually exist without pair gains.

eircom was going to mostly use Meteor and also use Satellite for up to 8% per ED. But eircom are a better ISP.

But Meteor and 3 were obliged at the time to commence major rollouts to meet obligations of their 3G licences. That's why really there was only two final proposals to choose from. The Structure of NBS basically made it a loss maker for Digiweb or Imagine/IBB and you had to bid for whole NBS, not EDs, so none of the smaller Wireless ISPs could even realistically tender.

3 offered really cheap Satellite. (because it was based on Avanti promises of a system which may not launch till Dec 2010). But eircom based pricing on REAL existing satellite capacity, rather than imaginary capacity & prices, so Dept "logically" chose 3.

3 must now be losing a lot (At the start they did use Avanti, which must have lost Avanti a lot as they only have limited expensive capacity). 3 is now having to pay the "going" wholesale (or even retail :) ) rate which is a monthly cost per user many times what they charge. The install likely costs more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

watty wrote: »
    I doubt it. Maybe a handful. At more than 4km to 7km from exchange the lines might not meet NBS speed of 1.2Mbps, assuming ADSL2+ and lines actually exist without pair gains.

eircom was going to mostly use Meteor and also use Satellite for up to 8% per ED. But eircom are a better ISP.

But Meteor and 3 were obliged at the time to commence major rollouts to meet obligations of their 3G licences. That's why really there was only two final proposals to choose from. The Structure of NBS basically made it a loss maker for Digiweb or Imagine/IBB and you had to bid for whole NBS, not EDs, so none of the smaller Wireless ISPs could even realistically tender.

3 offered really cheap Satellite. (because it was based on Avanti promises of a system which may not launch till Dec 2010). But eircom based pricing on REAL existing satellite capacity, rather than imaginary capacity & prices, so Dept "logically" chose 3.

3 must now be losing a lot (At the start they did use Avanti, which must have lost Avanti a lot as they only have limited expensive capacity). 3 is now having to pay the "going" wholesale (or even retail :) ) rate which is a monthly cost per user many times what they charge. The install likely costs more too.
    Yea see what you mean would LTE be any good for those on wireless broadband given that it roll out right of course ,in two year time or more.IM on DSL i feel sorry for people stuck with wireless 3 broadband .I hear there broadband bad and unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

I believe there were many exchanges in Kilkenny which were to be upgraded to DSL. Including Loughboy, where a sizeable chunk of people in Kilkenny live. *rolls eyes*

Now there are two left to do according to www.broadbandatoz.ie, Coon (my exchange) and Oldtown in South Kilkenny. Two others in the county which aren't being done at all (probably because they serve lines many miles away over a wide area).

I see eircom vans around from time to time in the last 12-18 months, with a cherry-picker and such. But no sign of the work being completed even though it was due to be finished initially during Q1 2009, then September 2009. Now the site has removed the expected date altogether, just says they're 'committed' to upgrading them.

Please let us not be paddy last. :( I'm only 0.5km from the exchange dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

trekkypj wrote: »
    Now the site has removed the expected date altogether, just says they're 'committed' to upgrading them.

Sorry to hear that trekkypj.

The 2007 program still has another 50 odd exchanges to be done but the pace has slowed a lot from last year; Ballyporeen for example, is not going to be done until the middle of next year.

Try writing to the man. You'll probably get a definite month at least, which in our case was honored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

rob808 wrote: »
    Yea see what you mean would LTE be any good for those on wireless broadband given that it roll out right of course ,in two year time or more.IM on DSL i feel sorry for people stuck with wireless 3 broadband .I hear there broadband bad and unstable.

LTE could be 5 years away, it's about x4 better than 3G/HSPA, but ONLY if comreg allow 1 or 2 operators and the operators can deploy 6 x20MHz each instead of current 3 x 5MHz.

Also unless it's in 800MHz and/or 900MHz, it will only be 2300MHz and/or 2500MHz which is poorer in building and poorer rural than 3G's 2100MHz.

So, really LTE is at best be entry level DSL and at worst no better than 3G/iHSPA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

clohamon wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that trekkypj.

The 2007 program still has another 50 odd exchanges to be done but the pace has slowed a lot from last year; Ballyporeen for example, is not going to be done until the middle of next year.

Ryan is lying outright ( in Clohamons link)when he says that "The European Commission has set aside a portion of the European Economic Recovery Programme (EERP) funding for rural broadband initiatives." because he has no plan to tap that money.

The money for "rural" initiatives is not coming from the EERP at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ryan is lying outright ( in Clohamons link)when he says that "The European Commission has set aside a portion of the European Economic Recovery Programme (EERP) funding for rural broadband initiatives."

Lying, because the EC haven't set aside EERP funding for rural BB, or not lying, but clever wording of how he intends/doesn't indent to use that money? Big difference, so please clarify.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cgarvey wrote: »
    Lying, because the EC haven't set aside EERP funding for rural BB,

EDIT , I was wrong

I read the 2008 Version 1 EERP and not the 2009 Version 2 EERP which did include a supplementary measure for Rural Broadband . Therefore Ryan was not lying..for once.

It is administered by the department of agriculture not commmunications but they let Ryan develop a "measure" which has since become the URP....although they have no idea right now how to implement this measure or how many unserved premises ( less than 2mbits) there are in rural areas and small towns.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2009/july/title,33107,en.html

"Minister Smith pointed out that the provision of adequate broadband facilities is an issue of considerable importance for farmers and for all rural dwellers and he was happy to work with Minister Ryan in this regard."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Imagine working in his Dept. One must have a permanent frown from cringing anytime the minister speaks in public!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

cgarvey wrote: »
    Imagine working in his Dept. One must have a permanent frown from cringing anytime the minister speaks in public!

Whatever waffle he utters, and he is the King of wafflers, is supplied to him by officials of his Department, I have dealt with enough of them in my time, totally clueless.

jbkenn

Advertisement