Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mysql frontend like M Access

Options
  • 18-06-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Is there any freeware frontend program for MYSQL that works like Access ie create tables, joins, queries, reports etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

MySQL Workbench. Also take a peek at MySQL Query Browser (and MySQL Administrator if you're running the MySQL server) from the MySQL dev tools site.

edit: There is an access clone called Kexi but I've never used it in anger.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

open office has an access type app called "database" (surprise surprise)... Not sure what its native database is but I'm pretty sure it can connect to any db you have (jdbc) drivers for.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Didnt even think of OpenOffice and I was just using it a couple of days ago. Anyways I found both suggestions quite usefull.

Workbench is handier to use than SQLYog and OpenOffice is connecting ok and I can use the DB program to add edit delete from Access type forms.

This is what I really need as I made an intranet at work and I found it a huge drain on my time writing php apps to add and edit data (with all the validation and such).

The only thing with OpenOffice is I keep getting an 'Error Inserting New Record [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid Cursor State' message. The record will still insert but I'd rather it insert withouts errors and go to a blank insert form. ny ideas why this comes up?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

google is your best friend for questions like this...
    maybe this helps
    http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=71475

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Yeah seen that and a few others but didnt make any difference. After some experimentation it appears the problem only arises when you use the wizard to make a form to add records and only add records. If you make a form to edit delete etc and hit the 'add record' button you can add records all you like with no messages. It would be better to have an add only form but this could suffice. I'll just have to keep plugging away and see if I can sort it out. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement