Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on Beach

Options
  • 18-06-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Why are dogs allowed on the beach. I understand they love the water and freedom. Today I watched children playing in the sand on Courtown beach. Then along came a dog and did big number 2 in the sand. While later more dogs came onto the beach with their owners, kids had made sandcastles and had gone down to get water, the dog peed all over their sand castle. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Thats just nasty, the owners should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

HighWire wrote: »
    Thats just nasty, the owners should know better.

I think they do, they just don't give a fcuk. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Turquoise1

Exactly, they don't care!

There should be someone patrolling the beach area ready to give someone a fine if the owner leaves dog cr*p on the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Someone told me that by law dogs are not allowed on the beach during the summer months. Does anybody know if this is true?

I was sunbathing with my kids this weekend and we saw dogs, horses and a quadbike! Not nice...
    And the beach was full of people with small children...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

A lot of beaches have signs up saying no horses after 08.30 am or similar.

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Environment/ is the link to the dept that administer the control of dogs and horses Acts.

The dog warden is John Colfer ( 087 6293043 ).

Problem appears to be enforcement of the rules laid down i.e. have you ever seen a dog warden? Or a litter warden? If on the spot fines were mandatory and frequently given they'd generate enough funds to deter owners and fund more wardens, services and clean up (IMHO)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Nothing wrong with having dogs on the beach at all. Might aswell ban children while you're at it. They often pee in or around the water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

I don't believe anyone has a problem with dogs on a beach but I certainly have an issue with dogs that defeacate on the beach without the owners using a poop scoop, dogs that are dashing around unsupervised while the owners are thoroughly enjoying THEIR walk untroubled by their dogs activities. An owner may know your dog doesn't bite etc but how are others supposed to?

I'd have the same issue with parents who's kids defeacated on the beach or ran around uncontrolled impacting negatively on other beach users enjoyment.

A dog and owner interacting and playing together is a lovely sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheSockMonster

You cant ban dogs from beaches just because some owners are irresponsible. I have 4 dogs and I always clean up after them. Should my dogs and I, as well as every other responsible owner and their dog suffer as a result of a few people?

I agree with you that it shouldnt happen though. If you know the name of the owner or get their car registration number you can report them to the dog warden and they will get a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

We could do with more responsible owners like you SockMonster. In Ballymoney, you should try walking from the end of the Sea Road to the North Beach. You constantly have to pick your step along the way, it's a disgrace. I know some owners pick up after their pets, I've seen it, but there are a lot who don't and the evidence is everywhere. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'm not in favour of banning dogs on beaches. If you do that, where do you draw the line? Banning them from public parks, roads, footpaths and everywhere else bar your back garden?

I would prefer to see heavy fines for someone who does not clean up after their dog.

BTW, if I remember my legal studies, its only dogs which are classed as Guard Dogs (German Shephards, Doberman etc) that are legally required to be in a lead in a public place. Anyone who lets their dog off the lead, assuming it isnt one of the above, isnt breaking any law. However, people should use common sense. I'll only let my dog off if there is nobody else around. I know she's harmless, but to someone who doesnt like or understand dogs it can be intimidating.

• Advertisement

I'm not in favour of banning dogs on beaches. If you do that, where do you draw the line? Banning them from public parks, roads, footpaths and everywhere else bar your back garden?

I would prefer to see heavy fines for someone who does not clean up after their dog.

BTW, if I remember my legal studies, its only dogs which are classed as Guard Dogs (German Shephards, Doberman etc) that are legally required to be in a lead in a public place. Anyone who lets their dog off the lead, assuming it isnt one of the above, isnt breaking any law. However, people should use common sense. I'll only let my dog off if there is nobody else around. I know she's harmless, but to someone who doesnt like or understand dogs it can be intimidating.

There is a fine of €150 for not cleaning up after your dog, I've never heard of one being imposed though.
    All dogs in a public place must be under the control of their owner, surely a dog running off the leash is not under control. I've known the dog warden to pick up dogs in the Courtown area but he isn't here often enough, I think the one guy has to cover the whole county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 yangyong

The quay in Wexford town should be renamed dog sh*t alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheSockMonster

There are very little laws in Ireland regarding dogs. I know that any dog classified as a dangerous breed, that is the American Pit Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier,Bull Mastiff, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa and Bandog and strains and crosses of these breeds must be kept on a short strong lead, muzzled and and in the control of someone over the age of 16 when in a public place.
    I think is law is a bit backwards though. I work with dogs and have never come across an aggressive dog of any of these breeds but I've had many tiny, harmless looking dogs trying to take chunks out of the backs of my legs. All dogs in public places should be kept under control. A dog should only be let off a lead if the owner is watching it the whole time, knows its not annoying other people and dogs, and knows it will come back the second its called. Theres nothing worse than being out in the park or on a beach and having someone elses dog harassing you or jumping all over you while the owners nowhere to be seen. And this is coming from someone who loves dogs, I can only imagine how annoying it must be for people who dont like them or are afraid of them.

The fact of the matter is that if people bring their dogs out in public they should 1-always clean up after them and 2-keep them under control.
    But banning dogs from public places isnt the answer. There needs to be stricter laws which are actually enforced and more dog wardens.

Sorry for the rant!! lol!
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bud Brando

I reside in Cork City and as we had a small residence we decided to get a medium sized dog and reputedly the most intelligent in a Border Collie. The only fields within walking distance are either Gaa or soccer pitches. Now thus far they are accessible, but I presume as a result of the ignorant disregard of the dog owners not cleaning up their dogs faeces I have an ominous fear of changes on the horizon. i.e KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEAD! Can you imagine keeping a Border Collie on a lead!! I realize some people are completely oblivious and ignorant to their duties in cleaning up their dogs litter and keeping their dogs under effective control but should ALL suffer? I also realize that the laws are there and, pardon the pun, yet have no teeth in them, but surely the most reasonable answer is to Apply the laws regarding dogs to their fullest and generate some much needed funds through the on the spot fines in the process; once there are enough Guardians Of The peace to enforce them when ultimately they? face the undesirable elements of the public which they are well used to throwing the book at anyhow! Or is the Americanisation of Ireland where we have a policed state of 'bye laws' say good bye to your rights, where the people who are not affected by them are content and the rest are disregarded. I thought our heros died for our freedom but it seems everyday our rights as citizens are further eroded. e.g/digression- Coillte to be privatised? By the way, I have no desire to be heavy handed in my views regarding the implementing of certain laws effectively but people must become responsible, as your disregard is damaging us all and the saoirse of a once happy Border Collie and many more no doubt! I have little hope for the future :( Go raibh maith agat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Bud Brando wrote: »
    The only fields within walking distance are either Gaa or soccer pitches. Now thus far they are accessible, but I presume as a result of the ignorant disregard of the dog owners not cleaning up their dogs faeces
    You're the ignorant one if you think it is acceptable for dogs to use any sporting pitch that people use. Sorry, but humans and dog urine and sh1te do not go together. I don't care if owners clear up the dog muck afterwards, it's just wrong.

oldyouth wrote: »
    You're the ignorant one if you think it is acceptable for dogs to use any sporting pitch that people use. Sorry, but humans and dog urine and sh1te do not go together. I don't care if owners clear up the dog muck afterwards, it's just wrong.

I have to agree with this. As the father of a boy who used to play soccer on a track that was used by greyhound owners to run their dogs, it was disgraceful on a saturday morning when the kids all went training on a pitch littered with dog crap. The problem is not the dogs, it's the irresponsible and selfish dog-owners who feel that the have an entitlement to allow this to happen. It's obviously not all dog owners but there is a sizeable amount that allow it happen.
    On another related note, while more people are bagging the crap to take away, they are obviously not all taking it home with them or putting it in a bin. I notice around Ballymoney (and I'm sure this happens elsewhere too) that there is a collection of small bags of dog excrement accumulating in the hedges, suspended like small parcels for all to see. Preserved in plastic for eternity now without the chance to wash away when it rains or biodegrade in the clay . . . worse again!!!

Having said all that, I have no problem with dogs on the beach, it's a natural thing to do but the owners need to be responsible in their behaviour to make sure they don't leave a mess and to ensure that their dog doesn't frighten small children (or adults for that matter) who might be nervous around dogs. The response of "my dog won't bite, it's very friendly and harmless" is irrelevant to someone who might be nervous around them. Same applies to horses. Horse owners expect you to slow down and be patient when you meet them while driving, this is understandable, but not all horse owners apply this principle when they take them for a run along the beach where people are walking or children are playing. Live and let live, I say, show repsect and considertion . . . and that applies to everyone!!

Unlike the previous member I have no desire to score points on this issue. I emphasise the word ONLY, fields within walking distance. I too agree that is is unnacceptable for dogs to soil the soil so to speak but I can assure you for an energetic breed of dog such as ours it is vital that she burns off her energy and these are the ONLY fields available to us and they are open fields that happen to be used for sports and God knows there is no shortage of them. I just want people to consider that we don't all keep little lead friendly lapdogs and some dogs need room and scope. The beaches are limited, the coillte forests are free for now but may be privatised, the land is owned by farmers who generally don't tolerate trespassing, the peripheries of the cities are taken up by corporate interests, all that remains it seems is the odd field miles away or the footpaths. I realise that there has been an explosion in the dog population and also that it would be far easier to fully implement a close to zero tolerance approach regarding dogs but this would be a grossly unfair approach. But who cares right? And believe me I don't take this stance by being a dog owner, I would always consider all points of view as I wish others would in the spirit of Ireland and decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

No, I can't accept that argument. It's not sufficient to say that sh1ting on a football pitch is the only available outlet for a big, fit dog. I agree it is not the dog's problem, it is yours. If you can't provide the facilities to cater for your dog, you shouldn't have one. Don't impose your situation on others.

BTW, I love dogs and wish I had one myself. Unfortunately, my circumstances do not permit it, so I have taken personal responsibility

Well perhaps if I knew the intolerance some people have for dogs, which I have noticed in society of late and the desire for certain people to demand a dog be confined to a lead I wouldn't in hindsight have got the dog and have the animal subjected to such limitations, perhaps next time I should wait to inherit a farm or be content with a poodle! Let's face it, any field or green area in the immediate area is going to be used by kids and people, so that rules out dogs. I don't accept that there are enough areas for a dog to roam, at least not in my city. I have to travel nine miles to the nearest woods for my dog to enjoy a decent run without disturbing the public and that ought to show my intent. In other countries at least they have special areas designated for dogs to roam free without being snarled at by a disgruntled public. Suffice to say yours is the majority view and I'm sure will dictate council policy but I trust there are some good citizens out there who share my concern and with Gods help place the emphasis on responsible ownership rather than harsh laws which in my opinion are a violation of an animals rights and another sign of the times in this would be utopia people of today seem to be striving for. I won't be venting my futile argument any further so God bless nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

What about those who leave dirty nappies burried in the sand have happened on this lots of times, equally as bad as dog crap or more so, also people leaving cans etc which can also cause injury ie cutting feet. As usual people are being very narrow focused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What about those who leave dirty nappies burried in the sand have happened on this lots of times, equally as bad as dog crap or more so, also people leaving cans etc which can also cause injury ie cutting feet. As usual people are being very narrow focused.

Yup, equally as ignorant as dog owners not collecting their dogs dirt on the beach or keeping them on a lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

This is why we need dog parks in Ireland. The facilities in this country for dogs and their owners are useless. A nice wide open space designated for dogs and their owners would be a great facility and would mean that owners would not need to walk/exercise their dogs on GAA pitches, etc.!

Maharet wrote: »
    This is why we need dog parks in Ireland. The facilities in this country for dogs and their owners are useless. A nice wide open space designated for dogs and their owners would be a great facility and would mean that owners would not need to walk/exercise their dogs on GAA pitches, etc.!

I don't think that's necessary. If all (rather than some) dog owner's acted responsibility then there would be no problem. I think that the owners who allow their dogs to foul footpaths, beaches and other areas would still let their dogs foul dog parks and therefore would still be a nuisance to other users. It's all down to responsible dog owners . . . or irresponsible, in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Went for an amazing run at the Raven this morning but it was ruined by the amount of dog poo!!

I actually observed one man (wearing a blue t-shirt, blue shorts & walking a chocolate labrador) this morning stopping with his dog letting him do his businesses and then just walking off! The least he could have done was bury it!

I love dogs and its great to see them out running etc but other dog owners need to start copping on and cleaning up after their animals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I wouldn't agree with a general banning of dogs on beaches, but there should be greater enforcement of fines, etc, for those who make no attempt to clean up after their dogs (and indeed litter in general). But banning them outright would be akin to the teacher who punishes the whole class for the misdeeds of a few.

Common sense and courtesy is all that is needed, sadly both seem to be lacking in modern times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PumaGirl

In all, I would say common sense must prevail. Today we took our dog on a walk on a Wexford beach, and specifically came off the path designed for families/kids, into the woods. In the middle of a bumpy trekking tail designed for mountain-bikers, dog-walkers and joggers, we came across two couples, each with a buggy and a young child, who proceeded to chastise us for not having our dog on a lead. Some parents need to be kept on leads, and to exercise common sense about where they bring their children. As do some dog-walkers, who specifically let their dogs roam into crowded areas and poo and pee at random. Use your noggins people!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

In all, I would say common sense must prevail. Today we took our dog on a walk on a Wexford beach, and specifically came off the path designed for families/kids, into the woods. In the middle of a bumpy trekking tail designed for mountain-bikers, dog-walkers and joggers, we came across two couples, each with a buggy and a young child, who proceeded to chastise us for not having our dog on a lead. Some parents need to be kept on leads, and to exercise common sense about where they bring their children. As do some dog-walkers, who specifically let their dogs roam into crowded areas and poo and pee at random. Use your noggins people!

May I ask where this was?

PumaGirl wrote: »

The law says "all dogs must be kept under control", a dog running free is not under control. We have all seen the pictures and heard the stories of what supposedly harmless, friendly dogs can do among the sheep population when allowed to roam loose. It only takes a second for a dog to turn, especially where children are concerned, are you suggesting the taxpaying public should be prevented from accessing public lands so you can let your dog run free?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

bmaxi wrote: »
    The law says "all dogs must be kept under control", a dog running free is not under control. We have all seen the pictures and heard the stories of what supposedly harmless, friendly dogs can do among the sheep population when allowed to roam loose. It only takes a second for a dog to turn, especially where children are concerned, are you suggesting the taxpaying public should be prevented from accessing public lands so you can let your dog run free?

Just because a dog is not on a lead doesn't mean that it isn't under control. Any owner worth their weight will have their dog trained to respond to their call, if they don't THEN the dog shouldn't be off the lead.

What Pumagirl was saying is there should be places for people and their dogs and other places for people and their prams.. makes perfect sense to me and if pram walkers want to talk off the beaten track then they should expect to not have it all their own way...

• Advertisement

arseagon wrote: »
    Just because a dog is not on a lead doesn't mean that it isn't under control. Any owner worth their weight will have their dog trained to respond to their call, if they don't THEN the dog shouldn't be off the lead.

What Pumagirl was saying is there should be places for people and their dogs and other places for people and their prams.. makes perfect sense to me and if pram walkers want to talk off the beaten track then they should expect to not have it all their own way...

Puerile thinking, would you be of the same opinion if your child was disfigured by a "well trained" dog which suddenly reverted to type? Nobody knows what way an animal will react in any given situation, documentary evidence is legion of "family pets" which have mauled children, sometimes to death. Too late after the event to say "he usually comes when he's called".
    I don't accept that dog owners should have any preferential rights over the public as to where they can go, if somebody wants to drag a buggy to the top of Mt. Leinster and still expect it to be free of roaming dogs then that's their right.

Advertisement