Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Driver's License

Options
  • 18-06-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Does anybody know if it's legal or even possible to apply for a driver's license under the VWP?

On the DMV website of California, it claims:
    If you are legally present in the US, but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from SSN requirements. However, you must still provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document for any DL/ID card application OR provide a valid SSN.

Would a passport do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

It depends on the state. In TX you must have a visa and there must be at least six months left on it in order to get a licence. As a J2 I did have the visa but not a SSN at the time and I just had to sign a disclaimer that I had never had a SSN and that I wasn't entitled to one. Also TX limits the expiry of your driver's licence to the length of your visa + six weeks. This is all related to the introduction of REAL ID, not all states have implemeted it yet but it's coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

lil_lisa wrote: »
    DMV website of California...
    Would a passport do?

An unexpired passport should help. For the California DMV the more ID, the better. They love IDs with pictures, so in addition to other paperwork like SSN, I had passport, USC student ID, and a Citi mastercard all with pics. Plus, I would recommend going to a small city DMV rather than a big city like San Diego. I called for an appointment and went early to San Clemente DMV a couple blocks off PCH, there was a very short 5 minute wait, and they were very nice and helpful. The written driver's test questionnaire was a piece of cake after quickly reading their booklet, and the lad who conducted the driver's test with car was more interested in me answering questions about Galway summers than quizzing me about rules of the road. Wearing shorts and a halter top might have helped too, ha! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Would a passport do?

Seems like a passport is ok. A potential issue is that they are no longer issuing I-94s for those travelling on the VWP - the DMV are probably not aware of this as it is a very recent change.

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:
    • US Birth Certificate (certified copy from state or local vital statistics office)
    • US Certificate of Birth Abroad or Report of Birth Abroad
    • Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
    • USCIS American Indian Card
    • Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
    • US Passport or US Passport Card
    • US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent of a military member, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
    • Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
    • Northern Mariana Card
    • USCIS US Citizen ID Card
    • Permanent Resident Card
    • Temporary Resident Identification Card
    • Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
    • Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
    • Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
    • "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
    • Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
    • Refugee travel document
    • Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction. Must contain name, birth date, place of birth, legal presence status, and judge’s signature.
    • Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority
    • Employment Authorization Card
    • Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP
    • Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
    • Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition) – must indicate approved extension of stay or change in status that grants temporary or permanent residency, or indicates that an original, duplicate or renewal Resident Alien card is forthcoming.
    • Immigration judge’s order granting asylum
    • Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94
    • U.S. Border Crossing Identification card with valid I-94

Advertisement