Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three and blackberry problem

Options
  • 18-06-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

I decided to upgrade my Blackberry to a newer model. The sole reason for this upgrade was because Three told me that they could provide skype on the handset. This meant I also had to move from my current network to Three and I bought the phone. (Other VOIPs just haven't been convenient enough in terms of usage and value)

I discussed this with the person who sold me the phone and explained that I was very happy that they were providing skype to the BB and this was one of the main reasons why I had decided to buy the phone. Not only did the person selling the phone say it was skype ready but it was also advertised in their magazine with a huge Skype icon within my price plan. It is also advertised on three different pages on the Three website claiming that the phone will be pre-installed with skype.

http://www.three.ie/business/mobiles/blackberry-smartphones.htm

http://www.three.ie/shop/blackberry-bold-9700-black-business.htm

A list of their handsets they claim are skype ready
    http://www.three.ie/shop/prepay-mobiles.htm

Well, guess what? There is no skype on the phone and it is not compatible at all with the handset! I rang customer care who confirmed this. I then rang the store who said sometimes the magazines and the websites are out of date... :-(

Do I have any rights to take the phone back? I signed a 12 month contract when I moved assuming it would be for good! I'm a bit shocked as everywhere I look under this new BB on any of the Three literature is a giant skype icon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

All contract phones have a 14 day cooling off period. Pack up everything as neat as possible and return to the shop and say you are returning it as is you right under the credit act 1995. They may not be too happy but the details of this act should be on the back of your contract or in the three website. You will have to return the phone and may be liable for a restocking fee and you will have to pay for any calls etc used while connected.

http://www.basis.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=14537&ecategory=14540&doclistid=14543&sectionpage=10339&language=EN&page=&link=link001&doc=11711&logname=Consumer%20Credit%201[1]&urlcode=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You could also argue that it was not fit for purpose intended, under the Sale of Goods Act, especially since you were assured by the sales rep that it was.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    All contract phones have a 14 day cooling off period. Pack up everything as neat as possible and return to the shop and say you are returning it as is you right under the credit act 1995. They may not be too happy but the details of this act should be on the back of your contract or in the three website. You will have to return the phone and may be liable for a restocking fee and you will have to pay for any calls etc used while connected.

http://www.basis.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=14537&ecategory=14540&doclistid=14543&sectionpage=10339&language=EN&page=&link=link001&doc=11711&logname=Consumer%20Credit%201[1]&urlcode=

There should be no fee for anything apart from calls. restocking is their problem. the customer was quite clear in his requirements for the handset. They have also advertised it incorrectly, so the phone is not intended for purpose. Bit of a howler on 3's behalf to pusk Skype as compatible when it snot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not your problem that there webvsite and magazine is not up to date, you based your decision on this information along with what the sales agent gave you. This information was wrong.

If they don't cancel the agreement take them to small claims you;ll win handsdown, I'd recommend you screenshot, print and save any material that will back you up before they change it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,197 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you tried downloading Skype through Planet 3, I don't think it comes pre installed but you might be able to download it.
    I think nearly 100% of phones on 3 support skype, don't see why the blackberry should be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It says on the three website that it is pre installed

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

I dont think the Bold 9700 is supported on the skype.com/m site. I have tried this myself and it said unavailable.

Skype is new to BlackBerry and Three I assume are not fully up to speed with BlackBerry either.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

godtabh wrote: »
    It says on the three website that it is pre installed

Exactly. Which it isn't. It isn't even compatible with the phone at all and can't even be downloaded.

Thanks for all the advice. Three have admitted their error and I am receiving a full refund.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Great to hear its all been sorted out, I would hope they will almost fix their website asap

Advertisement