Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce College/Hewitt College?

• 18-06-2010 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,
    Quick question, can anyone tell me about Bruce and Hewitt College in Cork and what they're like for doing the LC? It's not for me (did my Leaving ages ago, thank God) but a friend has a relative who is considering going there, she's aiming for Medicine and does English, Maths, French, 3 Sciences and Accounting as far as I know. She's very intelligent and hard-working, so she wouldn't be a dosser. Would you recommend them or should she just stay at her regular secondary school?
    Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 woopah

Grind schools aren't as bad as people say-they're worse.
    I've been in a grind school for the past two years now and am more than thrilled to finally get out.
    They work for some people, but don't for the most.
    But because she's going for medicine, I'd definitely recommend it.
    She'll be surrounded by other people of her intellectual level and be in an environment where she'll be encouraged by the highest rated professionals in the country.
    She can wave goodbye to her social life for the year though.

Tell her I say good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Hey Im doing my tests now up in Bruce and have been there since 5th year.

If she can work hard then Bruce is definatly for people aiming for medicine..Its quite a tough school though but I allot of my year is going for it.

Hewit,I've heard is quite cramped in many class rooms.Also a mate of mine went to both and said how Hewit has better craic,but Bruce has better teachers.

Tell her to defiantly take up Economics and Ag.science if she goes there as ag is a good subject and the economics teacher there is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Theres also a great Accounting teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Seloth wrote: »
    Tell her to defiantly take up Economics and Ag.science if she goes there as ag is a good subject and the economics teacher there is fantastic.

Presumably they don't encourage Economics and Ag.Sc. in Bruce college then?

Yet they have a very good economics teacher.

I thought so-called grind schools had little time for the rebellious student? Rather they attract people who are focused and (hopefully) high achieving. These are not attributes you would associate with the defiant student.

(Seriously though the number of people who can't spell definitely is just shocking. And I apologise for being such a prick...it's monday and I can't help it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

No they do infact,as they are such short courses and most find them easy.Not easy A's by far but easy to achieve a good grade as the material is not difficult.

And what you'd find comical is the that most of the rebeliouse students are some of the best achieving.Though there are those that mess and such,but tbh no one really likes them and for most they were put there by their parents.

(and dont be a grammer nazi,No one cares for them either :p)

Allot of those that are high achieving are quite ridiculouse people,aiming for course only as they have high points,While others go to the grind schools just to help them get their course,as they feel their school is not of standard.I myself am not going for any high point course,but that odsent mean I'm not high aiming,i just have a diffrent path than most.

There was one girl who spoke of what she wished had down on her CAO.At first it was medicine,then law,then Pharmacy....In fall fecking fairness,she was only putting down stuff as she wishes just to make money and not job satisfaction,Knwingly so she'd make a terrible doctor,not a caring bone in her.

Many though going for it would also make fantastic doctors too though :).
    I'd say about 10-15% of the year is aiming for medicine,another 5-10% aiming for Law.The rest of us then are all varied.

Two negative things I have to say about Bruce is that one, it can physically be exhausting,school begining at 8.40 and many staying in then till half 8 to study.I heard from one student as well that when the principal asked him why he appared to be so tired and lazy in one class the student replied because the class was now at half 3 after school,to which the principal replied"Well its only half 3",not taking into account the time the student has to get up as well as the time the student got home etc.The second being,there isnt as much of a personal touch as there would be in a regular school.Apon slipping down in my performance only one teacher said this to me in private,the others all reported it to the principal first with out even hinting it to myself,and while the principal can be quite friendly too he can also be quite unfriendly and uninviting even though he does have an open door policy,seemingly to care more for those that wish to gain 500+ points so they can boast about it on the papers in order to attract more students,rather than those who would like to do their absolute individual best.

But yeah other than this I would highly reccomend it.Some fantastic people also go to the school and I've made quite allot close friends :D.

If she does go here though tell her not too burn herself out like I've seen many do,but not to slack of like I did for some time :pac:((sorted myself thankfully,but should really be studying now so bye :P))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Thanks a million, I just found out that she has interviews for the two of them this week, all the feedback is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

Hi i've just done my levaing cert and got 530. i was hoping to do medicine and now want to repeat and am thinking of appying to bruce/hewitt. im doing english, irish, maths, french, chamistry, biology, accounting and applied maths! :) just wondering if anybody has any insight or advice they could offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hopkins100

Just did my leaving this year in Hewitt and got 580.
    Fantastic teachers, notes and atmosphere.
    Found English, Maths, French and Biology to be particularly good.
    Would have never did as well without them.
    Recommend highly...good luck!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't resurrect zombie threads.
    Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement