Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music

• 18-06-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I was thinking of taking music on as a subject outside of school instead of doing it in school. The main reason is the teacher I'll have for 5th and 6th year is useless! I've done music for the JC in school and I've pretty much taught myself the course...

Has anyone done this before? I don't really plan on getting grinds in it but I was planning on working off exam papers and that. I also play violin and that's 50% which I can't improve on in school either (My teacher focuses on the people singing).

So is this a good or bad idea? I'd really appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Dante

If you've done it for the JC and you're at a decent level on the violin then you shouldn't find it too hard tbh, especially seen as you have two years to do it. There isn't that much in the course, the only hard part I'd imagine is the set works, which in my case was Berlioz (I don't know what it will be for you). For the set works I don't really know how you'd go about learning it without a teacher but I'm sure other people did it before so there are obviously ways. Most of the marks go for the practical and the listening so you should be fine with a small bit of work and going over all the past papers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sinead09

good idea! im doing it in school now for leaving cert.. its seriously handy if u can play anything, then just concentrate on getting melody & harmony writing & have them done good.. and you'll get a good grade! def worth doing if u can play anything cause you get marks for your talent rather than having to study your ass off in another subject to get the same marks. go 4 it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A few guys in my year did it outside of school. The 50% practical is well worth it. Composing is another 25% therefore the set works etc is the remaining 25. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Thanks for the advice everyone!:) I doubt I'd take a course outside of school, I'd prefer to just work at it on my own pace (and hopefully not forget about it).

Really appreciate the responses because I was unsure if it was a practical decision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

I'd say go for it, but it would be worthwhile getting a few lessons with someone as the only music book doesn't explain things as clear as I'd like..

I'd say go for it, but it would be worthwhile getting a few lessons with someone as the only music book doesn't explain things as clear as I'd like..

Yeah I'd probably try get a few grinds here and there just I'm thinking pretty general at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Your set works will be:

bohemian rhapsody - Queen (pop)
    Bach - Cantata BWV 78 - (Classical)
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Tchaikovsky - Romeo & Juliet[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Gerald Barry - (Contempery/laughing stock)

http://www.leavingcertmusic.com/pages/video.htm

Oh thank you DGRulz that's very helpful! :)

Advertisement