Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making a Ring Fit

• 18-06-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Got an antique Diamond on the twist ring, white gold. Worth a nice bit or so I'm told. Based in Dublin and been to a few jewellers to get it valued. They all seem to charge around the same price (30-50 plus 1% of value). Only prob is it take 2 weeks to do it.

What I'm afraid of is that during that time, stones could be switched. Heard stories of this happening. Are jewellers trustworthy.

More important than the valuation I suppose is the fact that it doesn't fit very well on my wife's finger. Need to get some sort of attachment added to it to make it fit. Don't want to alter the ring in any way. Not up to speed on what kind of attachments are used or anything like that. Again, it seems it takes a bit of time to do this (5 working days). Can anyone recommend a reputable jeweller to do the job in Dublin? called into Brereton's on Capel St. today and they'll do it for €35 I think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

ya please move. cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thread moved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Any jeweller with a good reputation to uphold would be extremely unlikely to fiddle the stones. I think Beretons is a chain, so I would think they would be pretty reliable.

If its really valuable I'd go somewhere like Weirs, where their rep is everything and any bad publicity would be a disaster.

I don't know if you can get an attachment, but having a ring sized doesn't devalue it.

what exactly do they do when they size the ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

whats with the cheeky 1% of value??? surly to refit a ring takes the same proces..

• Advertisement

I suppose if they think you can afford to buy an expensive ring or are in the possession of one, they want to get a slice of your fortune. Typical of any business I guess.

Advertisement