Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Total Enigma Dell monitor issue!

• 18-06-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 20" Dell Monitor for the past few years. The power button failed on it, but Dell stood by their warranty and overnighted a replacement. The latest generation mobel is this one (this is the monitor I received)

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=151077

After a few minutes of usage, the monitor just went blank, the green power light and lights on the front on the menu stayed ON. The screen was just totally unresponsive. I tried a different cable - one for DVI-D & one for VGA. No change. Tried a different power cable also - no change. After the same issue occured on my second PC, I was comoftable contacting Dell that a defective unit was sent to me. They obliegied and sent ANOTHER.

Yes, you guessed it - Same issue with #2 brand new monitor! So now I'm thinking "it must be me!" - I have upgraded my nVidia Display Drivers also - same error occuring. Any ideas?!!

I can obviously contact Dell again, but wanted to see if I missed any possbile issues! It's a plug and play monitor so there should be no setup required!

My Spec:

CPU Type
    QuadCore Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700, 2666 MHz (10 x 267)

Motherboard Name
    EVGA NF68 (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chipset
    nVIDIA nForce 680i SLI

System Memory
    2304 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

DIMM1: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR10662G
    2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz) DIMM2: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR10662G
    2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)

BIOS Type
    Award (09/04/08)

Thanks in adavance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try f8 safe mode . if that does,nt work try a linux livecd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

ricman wrote: »
    try f8 safe mode . if that does,nt work try a linux livecd.

I've never used a linux livecd - how might this resolve my issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

COS linux ,eg mint livecd has drivers , vga, for all monitors built in ,maybe theres malware, or a file missing on your windows installation.i used ubuntu, or mint linux on 5 pcs and 3 laptops and it never failed to pick up ,detect any monitor or any other device.
    i was fixing a pc, a virus wiped out just the driver files for the ps2 keyboard ,therefore keyboard did not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks,

There's been a change - Since I updated the video card software and I haven't experienced a fault since.

Fingers crossed! I wil post back any issues. Thanks for the feedback

Advertisement