Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car boot sale in Ballyshannon?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Anyone know what happened to the car boot sale that used to be in the old rubber factory on the Bundoran road on Sundays?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

it was stopped because the residents nearby had complained about the traffic management. i dont think they had planning approval for it either so the fella running it said they would get this and be back up and running in april this year! it hasnt happened yet! there is another car boot sale in the market yard every sunday though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Thanks for the info Betsy. Yep, we often get out to the one at Market Yard on Sundays, it's not as varied as the one that was at the rubber factory though.

Anyone know of any other car boot sales in the area this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Betsy18 wrote: »
    it was stopped because the residents nearby had complained about the traffic management. i dont think they had planning approval for it either so the fella running it said they would get this and be back up and running in april this year! it hasnt happened yet! there is another car boot sale in the market yard every sunday though!

They were having one in February. We were there every Sunday at the end of last year.

I thought the market yard one was one where you needed a casual traders licence, rather than a car boot sale; many of the market yard regulars avoided the rubber factory one because is was E15 and their licence cost only E5 a week.

The rubber factory one also kept changing the rules; first it was no traders, then the big traders suddenly appeared.

Yes, traffic would have been an issue; the queuing started before 7 am and as it was cold, people were running their engines,,, right outside bedroom windows on a Sunday morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

A regular car boot sale in the region is needed. I cant see what problem anyone can have with it. The Bosco car park in Donegal Town would be ideal for three hours on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

yes the market yard is a traders only market more than a boot sale. we definately need a good well organised car boot sale in the area. i've been to the one in the bosco centre but its only once a month and they have put up the price to €15 too which is very steep for a car boot. you may not even make that in a day!

• Advertisement

Betsy18 wrote: »
    yes the market yard is a traders only market more than a boot sale. we definately need a good well organised car boot sale in the area. i've been to the one in the bosco centre but its only once a month and they have put up the price to €15 too which is very steep for a car boot. you may not even make that in a day!

That is what it cost at Ballyshannon too; he had to reduce it from E20

Why not start one yourselves? There seems to be a lot of interest.

it is is the Donegal Demorcrat under the Ballyshannon notes that the car boot sale at Portnason will start back on the 18th July!!!!!:D the organiser got all planning conditions done and there will be indoor heating for the winter months and he has refurbished the toilet facilites etc!! must start clearing out my spare room!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Thanks for the info Betsy. Good to hear it's coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John250

Its back !

Huge Indoor
    Car Boot Sale
    Ballyshannon
    @Likelys Old Rubber factory-
    (On old Ballyshannon-Bundoran rd-beside finner camp )
    Every Sunday
    10am-4pm
    Tel 086 2424395
    All welcome!

John250 wrote: »
    Its back !

Huge Indoor
    Car Boot Sale

Ballyshannon

@Likelys Old Rubber factory-
    (On old Ballyshannon-Bundoran rd-beside finner camp )

Every Sunday

10am-4pm

Tel 086 2424395

All welcome!

hi John!

Many feel as we do that E15 is far too much for a car boot sale; E12 outdoor and E15 inside.

So we are not returning...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John250

very sorry to hear that you think 12 euro outside and 15 euro inside is cost prohibitive .
    Think you should try and and rent a 8000 sq ft ware house and 1.pay rent 2. pay commercial rates to local council , 3. pay public liability event insurance, 4. elecrticity, 5 oil for heating 6. then on top advertising in press in several newspapers on a weekly basis ,7. VAT returns , 8. planning permission development charges to council for water and sewage ,9 rubbish and skip hire for rubbish left behind by 50 traders plus many other hidden costs ..............

If you can do it any cheaper please let me know and please please come and work with me ! :)

John250 wrote: »
    very sorry to hear that you think 12 euro outside and 15 euro inside is cost prohibitive .
    Think you should try and and rent a 8000 sq ft ware house and 1.pay rent 2. pay commercial rates to local council , 3. pay public liability event insurance, 4. elecrticity, 5 oil for heating 6. then on top advertising in press in several newspapers on a weekly basis ,7. VAT returns , 8. planning permission development charges to council for water and sewage ,9 rubbish and skip hire for rubbish left behind by 50 traders plus many other hidden costs ..............

If you can do it any cheaper please let me know and please please come and work with me ! :)

You would have to pay me then and I don;t come cheap ;)

But others do it for less than that, John. The usual cost hereabouts is E10. Heating? Not until winter ...

And it was never that cold last year; folk are soft!;)

Good traders also do not leave rubbish; we certainly never did. We take it home with us always. As others should.

Mind you, you are far cheaper than Donegal market where it is E40 a table..:eek:

No heating and no toilets etc either..

But the usual B;shannon market traders have a point; they have casual trading licences and that works out around E5 a week.

The other things that irked some was that originally it was supposed to ne NO TRADERS; and then the big commerical traders arrived, which made it not really a car boot sale any more......

Just what folk are saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Hi All,
    Is this car boot sale still running. If so is it any good?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Runs every Sunday on the Bundoran Road.

Whether you think it's good or not depends on whether what's for sale is your cup of tea. There's usually a good turn out of vendors & customers, but I haven't been tempted to buy anything yet.

Advertisement