Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Clegg wrote: »
    So if we're bringing in younger players for the tour then who do we bring?

I'd say Gilroy and Dave Kearney. The only problem I'd have with Kearney going is that he isn't first choice with Leinster. However he's improved significantly this year and he's one of our top young talents.

Paddy Jackson won't be going to New Zealand as he's representing the Irish under 20's in the world championships.

Certainly Madigan; I would like to see Dominic Ryan but it's unlikely; hopefully Paul Marshall; Eoin O'Malley/Nevin Spence; Mike Sherry as number 3 hooker

Gilroy and Kearney seem more complete in terms of their game than Zebo, who I think will break through big time next year when Penney brings in a decent backs coach. On form, theres an argument for Reddan, Boss and Marshall to be the touring SHs, but ut'll be Reddan, Boss and Murray. Even before injury, I'd have had Sherry ahead of Varley, he's been great recently.

I can't see Kidney selecting much young blood though, this tour will be all about bringing as much "experience" to bear on the attempt to get a win down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Fitz, Ciaran: Cut out the scheisse now. If you have a poster on ignore, that's fine, publicising it then asking others to quote so you can read it (and then someone obliging you) is, in my opinion trolling another user. Keep it up and you can take a few days off from the forum.

As for everyone else, if you are not prepared to back up criticism of players with fact or at least a reasoned arguement, don't bother. It's all in the charter. Read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Anyone think Cullen could go? Or has he retired?

Fitz, Ciaran: Cut out the scheisse now. If you have a poster on ignore, that's fine, publicising it then asking others to quote so you can read it (and then someone obliging you) is, in my opinion trolling another user. Keep it up and you can take a few days off from the forum.

As for everyone else, if you are not prepared to back up criticism of players with fact or at least a reasoned arguement, don't bother. It's all in the charter. Read it!

Apologies Mike, was actually asking the Captain to quote me, I'd have checked his posts for the response, genuinely not out to troll him, just wanted an answer to his comment that I saw someone else quoting, but fair enough, will drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Quint2010 wrote: »

He better not go ahead of Tuohy, McCarthy or even Toner.

• Advertisement

Hadn't thought about it, but if Paulies injury keeps him at home, I would not be surprised to see Cullen called up.

Not that I agree btw, Tuohy should be a shoe-in, and should start imo, but nothing would surprise me with DK anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cullen shouldn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'd be appalled if Cullen went. He's probably looking at his last year as a frontline pro. He's older than doc and POC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Might as well bring Mall O Kelly so

leftleg wrote: »
    Might as well bring Mall O Kelly so

Sure feck it, give Willie John a recall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

How many locks would normally go on one of these tours, is it 4?

Ryan will be first choice.
    DOC will almost certainly be first choice.
    Touhy should be first choice and I can't see any way he can't travel at this point

Leaves one spot, you've Toner, McCarthy and Cullen left. Tbh I wouldn't care which of those travelled.

All assuming POC is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Cullen shouldn't go.

If Cullen shouldn'y why should DOC? At least Cullen is playing first team regularly and playing well. O'Callaghan is fourth choice for Munster

If Cullen shouldn'y why should DOC? At least Cullen is playing first team regularly and playing well. O'Callaghan is fourth choice for Munster

I wouldn't bring DOC either and he's 3rd choice at Munster not 4th choice. MOD started last weekend so he could get a Thomond sendoff like the Bull.

Tuohy, Ryan, Toner and McCarthy (backrow cover) would be my locks.

Anyway it's all irrelevant anyway, DOC will certainly travel and probably start given Kidney is the coach. I don't see Cullen touring.

Cullen shouldn't go.

I can see both travelling.
    Would love to see Tuohy and Ryan start, with Toner or McCarthy benching, but can't see it happening.

Cullen shouldn't go.

I can see both travelling.
    Would love to see Tuohy and Ryan start, with Toner or McCarthy benching, but can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Sorry if this has already been asked (I can't see it), but does anybody know when do they announce the squad for NZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Id agree Thomond, but id probably bring DOC over McCarthy tbh. 3 reasons

1. He is actually a very good player, I think he's better than McCarthy.

2. We should be bringing a larger squad. So players covering other positions will be less necessary.

3. Even if it was necessary, Tuohy can cover the back row equally well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's a sad day when we're debating bringing Cullen and DOC to a three series 'friendly' with the ABs. The IRFU have rubbed off us and we're now squeeling their fears for them; seeding!

In a perfect world we'd have Ryan and Touhy, okay so the experience isn't there, but win or lose that'd be some experience for them. I'd also figure the two of them would be power-houses behind the front row in the scrum. Another coach in another setup would give that a shot.

I'd defo give McCarthy a shot too. He knows the Irish setup pretty well at this stage, and he's the kind of player that with his back against the wall will give it socks. Having said that, I've never been impressed with him in an Irish jersey... Still, better to give someone like McCarthy a chance rather than Cullen who's seriously impressive because of the team he plays for and the style they orientate around the breakdown... Ireland play a muscle up-front game, which I don't think Cullen suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Well I agree we should be bringing a larger squad we still need players who can cover multiple positions for the bench i.e McFadden, Ryan/McCarthy, Court/Loughney etc.

This might sound like heresy to some people but I really think we need to question the need for O'Gara on the bench. Would we not be better served with Madigan or Jackson(yes I know he'll be at U20 world cup) who can play other positions but even if Sexton isn't kicking we still have options with McFadden possibly Kearney kicking. The idea of bringing on O'Gara just because he's on the bench is ridiculous, especially when Sexton is keeping kicking duties from 12.

I'd love to see Ireland play a game with Sexton at 12 Earls 13 reddan 9 Madigan at 10 bowe zebo wings and kearney fullback in the next year or so. Might not be the best defensively but attacking options are devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

blackhound wrote: »
    Well I agree we should be bringing a larger squad we still need players who can cover multiple positions for the bench i.e McFadden, Ryan/McCarthy, Court/Loughney etc.

This might sound like heresy to some people but I really think we need to question the need for O'Gara on the bench. Would we not be better served with Madigan or Jackson(yes I know he'll be at U20 world cup) who can play other positions but even if Sexton isn't kicking we still have options with McFadden possibly Kearney kicking. The idea of bringing on O'Gara just because he's on the bench is ridiculous, especially when Sexton is keeping kicking duties from 12.

I'd love to see Ireland play a game with Sexton at 12 Earls 13 reddan 9 Madigan at 10 bowe zebo wings and kearney fullback in the next year or so. Might not be the best defensively but attacking options are devastating.

They'd need to score about 35 points though because that backline would concede a mimimum of 6 tries to a SH team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

It's unlikely but I'd love if Madigan took the bench spot from ROG. I think at this stage ROG would be be completely off the pace against the All Blacks and would prove to be a liability. It would also allow Sexton a proper leash on the jersey, and not have the ridiculous situation of him moving to 12 when he's never played there professionally. Madigan is a very similar player to Aaron Cruden, who's the same age and has started the World Cup Final and is likely to remain involved in the 22, and has had a remarkable season, so it's hardly much of a risk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

blackhound wrote: »

I'd love to never see Sexton at 12 for Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

is there a wolfhounds game planned anytime soon? or is that essentially the barbarians game...i'd be more interested to see who will make that team than the nz touring team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

McCarthy will likely miss the tour. He has been cited for gouging in Connacht's last game. I didn't see the game or incident, but the pic that was floating around looked bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If I was picking the squad, I'd have:

Prop- Healy, Ross, Wilkinson, Court, Loughney (maybe Hagan? or Fitzpatrick)

Hooker- Best, Cronin, Sherry

2nd Row- Ryan, Tuohy, Toner, DOC (DOC is going to go, we might as well face it, and he's a good player still)

Back Row- SOB, Heaslip, Ferris, POM, Henry, Ryan/Ruddock

Scrum Half- Murray, Reddan, Marshall

Out Half- Sexton, Madigan (I think Jackson should go with the U-20s...you could call up Keatley despite his indifferent form, no real point bringing Humphreys, you might as well bring ROG)

Centre- BOD, Cave, McFadden, Luke Fitz (this is the one place where I've really gone with what I think should happen...Luke Fitz should play in the centre)

Back 3- Kearney, Bowe, Earls, Trimble, Kearney, Gilroy, Zebo

That's 34, I think. Maybe slightly too many back 3 players. If he won't bring Fitz as a centre, maybe he'd bring Spence or someone? Wallace is good, but I don't see the point in playing Wallace or D'Arcy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Centre- BOD, Cave, McFadden, Luke Fitz (this is the one place where I've really gone with what I think should happen...Luke Fitz should play in the centre)
    Luke's out injured for the rest of the season, so won't be going to NZ.

davidpfitz wrote: »
    Luke's out injured for the rest of the season, so won't be going to NZ.

Oh, I've been a bit out of touch recently. I heard something about Bowe being injured too, any truth to that??

Like I said, I'd probably prefer to bring Spence than D'Arcy or Wallace really.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd love to never see Sexton at 12 for Ireland again.

Or Earls at 13

skregs wrote: »
    Or Earls at 13

Bit harsh on Earls, he was one of the better players in the 6N. If BOD is there, obviously he shouldn't start but he's as good an alternative as any imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Things are getting a bit sparse now, which is worrying.

I think if POC is recovering well he will travel, as they'll be worried about the number of players missing. At this stage DOC is almost a certainty to travel, though given McCarthy (likely) won't travel and POC may not then it is hard to complain. Toner, Tuohy, Ryan and DOC should travel - its who starts that will be the real indicator. It SHOULD be Ryan and Tuohy, but we all know it won't be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement