Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

JustinDee wrote: »
    No offer was removed. It simply wasn't taken up.
    There's a difference.

The IT were reporting at the time that it was withdrawn. Did they get it wrong?
    Negotiations between the 24-year-old player’s representative, Fintan Drury, and the IRFU reached an impasse and the offer of a central Irish contract – it is believed to include a reduction in salary from €280,000 to €200,000 – was withdrawn.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0613/1224317816205.html

There's a difference.

you'd wanna get in touch with the press office Justin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah he's not centrally contracted, so it'd be Ulster Rugby. I guess he could retire from international rugby if he wanted to.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/25041.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I'll stand corrected then if what was given to the journalist in question from the player's representitive was true, deadline or no deadline.
    Is there an IRFU statement on this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'll stand corrected then if what was given to the journalist in question from the player's representitive was true, deadline or no deadline.

Ah here Justin if you're not in a position to confirm one way or another that the offer is still on the table then maybe it's best not to get into it. We've been told that it was withdrawn. If it was then you're mistaken. If it wasn't then either tell us what you know or say nothing. This shadowy vague type of response isn't exactly helpful or constructive in any kind of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

10 days left until Luke Fitzgerald is unemployed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    10 days left until Luke Fitzgerald is unemployed!!
    Do you think we could convince Luke and Declan to swap contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I can see Fitz signing with a french club... it'd be a real shame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

What french team will take him now, he's injured. Hopefully Leinster will take care of him while he's out. I'd say he's regretting not settling for the 200K now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hopefully Leinster will take care of him while he's out.

They will take care of him. The auld duty of care clause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

People here seem to think French clubs will be put if by injury, implying French clubs have more sense than money! I really wouldn't be surprised if he set of to Stade or Toulon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I for one very much hope he stays at Leinster.

I would say he's loathe to leave Leinster. He bought a house in Clonskeagh last year and has roots here. It's not unimaginable that he'll leave (I would think France if it's going to happen) but I would be surprised if it came to pass. The fact that there's no word from any other club announcing his signature suggests the situation is still alive.

Would be a massive loss to Irish rugby if he departed. When he gets a run of games on the wing, he’s still one of the best around these parts as seen this past season. Unfortunately, he just can’t seem to get a continued run for a season. We’ve very, very few players that have the skill set that he does and I’d hate to see him leave. Not many wingers have that triple threat as they call it in basketball. He has a good boot, can step through and skin someone and can pass, creating for others. Aside from that, he’s possibly one of the best wingers defensively around. It would be unfortunate to let him go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would be surprised if he did anything other then stay at Leinster for the foreseeable future. He won't be signed injured so he will stay at Leinster to recuperate over the next year, which I imagine will involve him signing a new contract on some kind of play for pay basis. He may then scarper in two years but I hope he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Can't see him going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Theres no way Mick Dawson will let him go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toulon are in the market for a wing, but I don't see them signing an injured player.

However maybe a short sabbatical would be good for Fitzgerald, a new environment could revigorate him. Look at Wilkinson, he's been barely injured at Toulon, but his record for the 5-6 years before his move was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If he signs a contract one would hope he would repay that faith in kind by not moving abroad for a few years. I really can't see him leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

GerM wrote: »
    As I said in my original post, he was a utility back and didn't find his niche until last 5 years. For the record, Wallace covered across the back line and did also played centre for Ulster in his early years.

When did he play centre in his early years?
    Wallace started playing for Ulster in 2001 he did not move to centre till 2006 and was still moving around a bit. At the start of 2007 he played the first half of the season at outhalf until NOC starting playing outhalf so it was not until 6 years into his Career that he started playing fulltime at 12 and then he started the Grand Slam year at 12 only to lose his place for the final 2 games.
    Kevin Maggs was with Ulster from 2004-07 and last played for Ireland in 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah here Justin if you're not in a position to confirm one way or another that the offer is still on the table then maybe it's best not to get into it. We've been told that it was withdrawn. If it was then you're mistaken. If it wasn't then either tell us what you know or say nothing. This shadowy vague type of response isn't exactly helpful or constructive in any kind of discussion.
    There is nothing "shadowy" or "vague" in saying that I'll stand corrected if it is true.
    Is there an IRFU statement on the matter? If there isn't, then you're reading one side of the story.

• Advertisement

No idea.

There is a National Newspaper reporting on it though.

Which wasn't challenged by anyone, nor had a correction issued.

If they're wrong, you need to get in touch with the press office. As I suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yep, very unlikely that the paper didn't ring the IRFU looking for their side of it.

Regarding Luke hopefully he will stay will be also dependent on how well his replacement does - I would rate D Kearney as highly, will see how conway comes on who would be alot quicker then both. Luke doesn't have a great strike rate for a winger. If he got a massive contract offer from France who knows he might take it. Hopefully he will stay

Luckycharm wrote: »
    When did he play centre in his early years?
    Wallace started playing for Ulster in 2001 he did not move to centre till 2006 and was still moving around a bit. At the start of 2007 he played the first half of the season at outhalf until NOC starting playing outhalf so it was not until 6 years into his Career that he started playing fulltime at 12 and then he started the Grand Slam year at 12 only to lose his place for the final 2 games.
    Kevin Maggs was with Ulster from 2004-07 and last played for Ireland in 2005

Argue a small point much? He started at centre in his first season of HEC rugby for example. Against Stade, I think. I'm not trawling through match records for the next 30 minutes to highlight any example of starting at centre. He was a utility player not specifically a centre and I'm not saying he was. He didn't start playing there regularly until about 5 years ago as I've repeatedly stated . Don't see what the issue is here.

Argue a small point much? He started at centre in his first season of HEC rugby for example. Against Stade, I think. I'm not trawling through match records for the next 30 minutes to highlight any example of starting at centre. He was a utility player not specifically a centre and didn't start playing there regularly until about 5 years ago as I've repeatedly stated . Don't see what the issue is here.

YOu mean this game in 03/04 where he played Fullback ;)

he was drafted into the 22 for the visit of French giants Stade Français to Ravenhill after an injury to Australian international centre Ryan Constable. He would come on as a second half replacement for Bryn Cunningham and score the winning try.

I think he might have played twice at 13 but don't think he played 12 which the position we are talking about till 2006

Luckycharm wrote: »
    YOu mean this game in 03/04 where he played Fullback ;)

he was drafted into the 22 for the visit of French giants Stade Français to Ravenhill after an injury to Australian international centre Ryan Constable. He would come on as a second half replacement for Bryn Cunningham and score the winning try.

Nope.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/17052.php

Anyway, continue to argue with your shadow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Teferi wrote: »
    Yep, very unlikely that the paper didn't ring the IRFU looking for their side of it.

I imagine if they did the IRFU would have refused to comment on the matter, which is only right.

Nope.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/17052.php

Anyway, continue to argue with your shadow.

He played 13 in that game which is very different to 12 ask BOD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

JRant wrote: »
    Shocking treatment of a player by the IRFU, as soon as they got wind of Lukes injury they took their own contract offer off the table.

this simply isn't true. The contract negotiations went on for aaaaaages.

IRFU and Luke couldn't come to an agreement. As a result, IRFU removed their offer.

You might want to add the shock that D'Arcy got put back on a central contract after 2 years off one just a few short months ago too! (otherwise you'll be hopped off for only mentioning one team)

Good point and your right in mentioning Darcy as well. It has nothing to do with where the player is from more to do with the age profile. As was mentioned already, the tax rebate for some of our older players would have made a move abroad less attractive so maybe a club contract would make more sense from the IRFU's perspective.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There's a difference.

This is the kind of comment I was referring to. It says absolutely nothing yet at the same time suggests that there's something more to what we're talking about. All it does is cause confusion. There are 3 simple possibilities:

1. The offer is no longer on the table and you know this, in which case there's no point in you saying anything.

2. The offer is still on the table and you know that, in which case you should just come out and say so unless you can't for contractual reasons. In this instance you should obviously say nothing.

3. You don't know, in which case as someone who we all know is in the IRFU you're better off saying nothing as it will only cause confusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement