Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I know its a long time away and there is Autumn Internationals and a 6 nations and please God a new coach between now and then but what do we as a country want from next years summer tour.

I'd be interested in seeing a 100% U30 squad brought. Give the likes of Ross, Court, DOC, Darcy, Wallace and ROG who are unlikely imo to make the lions a summer off while experimenting and giving experience to younger options

Maybe see a 15 along the lines of
    Wilkinson Cronin Fitzpatrick Tuohy Toner McLaughlin Henry POM Murray Madigan Trimble Hanrahan Cave TOH DKearney

BTW just saying D Kearney at FB for lack of other ideas, we really need to identify options at 15 for Ireland and to try someone new. If LOD makes a break through at 15 for Munster he could well fill that role.

The three main provinces have IQ 12s over thirty so I just picked a young prospect I'd be as happy with Luke Marshall, McSharry, or one of the young OHs shifted out to play as a 2nd 5/8s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Bit in IT about Murphy ahead of his book release. Few more items discussed. Obviously he was at odds with EOS and says DK is a far more approachable coach and much better man manager. However, he does mention that he had issue with the Irish attack plan and raised his concerns to the coaches but his opinions were ignored with the plan to be based on Fez and SOB taking the ball up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

GerM wrote: »
    Bit in IT about Murphy ahead of his book release. Few more items discussed. Obviously he was at odds with EOS and says DK is a far more approachable coach and much better man manager. However, he does mention that he had issue with the Irish attack plan and raised his concerns to the coaches but his opinions were ignored with the plan to be based on Fez and SOB taking the ball up.

When was this? RWC?

danthefan wrote: »
    Bit in IT about Murphy ahead of his book release. Few more items discussed. Obviously he was at odds with EOS and says DK is a far more approachable coach and much better man manager. However, he does mention that he had issue with the Irish attack plan and raised his concerns to the coaches but his opinions were ignored with the plan to be based on Fez and SOB taking the bal up.

When was this? RWC?

Yup, in the warm up matches he raised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Here is the quote:
    By contrast, Murphy enjoyed a much better relationship with Declan Kidney, whose man management skills Murphy extols. “Unlike his predecessor, Deccie has always been approachable.” That said, Murphy clearly bears grievances over his limited involvement in the 2009 Grand Slam campaign. He also reveals his attempts to broaden Ireland’s attacking game in the build-up to the 2011 World Cup, which he felt were worryingly over dependant on Seán O’Brien and Stephen Ferris taking the ball up, fell on deaf ears or were resisted by Kidney and the rest of the coaching staff.
    “I like Declan as a man manager,” he admits, “and I think it’s difficult internationally as well. You have short windows. Being coached by a lot of Australians (at Leicester) there are patterns they bring to the game which I was keen to do, but it’s tougher to coach that in an international set-up. We did have some patterns but they were just different to the ones I was used to.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0908/1224323738407.html

• Advertisement

Yup, in the warm up matches he raised it.

Well it was really obvious after the Wales game that there was no gameplan other than try to run through them, which failed miserably. And with no attack/backs coach I can't see how things are going to get any better.

Well it was really obvious after the Wales game that there was no gameplan other than try to run through them, which failed miserably. And with no attack/backs coach I can't see how things are going to get any better.

:rolleyes:

Quote: Geordan Murphy
    We did have some patterns but they were just different to the ones I was used to.

I couldn't be any less interested in your strawmen or goalpost shifting so just don't bother replying to any of my posts. Ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And with no attack/backs coach I can't see how things are going to get any better.

I would really like to know whether that was the IRFU refusing to absorb the cost of a backs coach or Kidney deciding he didn't need one. Because its an utterly ludicrous situation and one of the worst marks of a less then stellar coaching term.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I know its a long time away and there is Autumn Internationals and a 6 nations and please God a new coach between now and then but what do we as a country want from next years summer tour.

I'd be interested in seeing a 100% U30 squad brought. Give the likes of Ross, Court, DOC, Darcy, Wallace and ROG who are unlikely imo to make the lions a summer off while experimenting and giving experience to younger options

Maybe see a 15 along the lines of
    Wilkinson Cronin Fitzpatrick Tuohy Toner McLaughlin Henry POM Murray Madigan Trimble Hanrahan Cave TOH DKearney

BTW just saying D Kearney at FB for lack of other ideas, we really need to identify options at 15 for Ireland and to try someone new. If LOD makes a break through at 15 for Munster he could well fill that role.

The three main provinces have IQ 12s over thirty so I just picked a young prospect I'd be as happy with Luke Marshall, McSharry, or one of the young OHs shifted out to play as a 2nd 5/8s

I've thought about that too. Were playing USA and Canada then are we? (minds gone blank)

I'd like to see more or less the same pack (with McGrath at LH) but i'd like to see the following backs:

Murray, Madigan, Zebo, Marshall, Cave, Gilroy, Conway (with Dave Kearney being included aswell).

Its a great opportunity to try out some of these younger guys and not have to worry too much about our defence being cut up. The thoughts of having Madigan and Marshall working with the above back three is something i'd really love to see!!!

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I would really like to know whether that was the IRFU refusing to absorb the cost of a backs coach or Kidney deciding he didn't need one. Because its an utterly ludicrous situation and one of the worst marks of a less then stellar coaching term.

I don't believe for a second they won't sanction a backs coach. And the only way I will believe it is if Philip Browne says so in public.

I couldn't be any less interested in your strawmen facts or goalpost shifting so just don't bother replying to any of my posts. Ever.

You must find it really annoying when you get caught out trying to make an argument on a misquote.

This message is hidden because jm08 is on your ignore list.

Ahhh. Much better.

I don't believe for a second they won't sanction a backs coach. And the only way I will believe it is if Philip Browne says so in public.

I have difficulty believing it too. Though I also have difficulty believing Kidney wanted to bring Madigan on tour and wasn't allowed - and that rumour has gotten some legs of late. Whoever is at fault (and if it was Kidney's decision the IRFU should have questioned it and corrected it by now anyway), it has been a completely cack-handed approach.

After the 60-0, I'd say there is more of a problem with the defence.

I find scoring zero points in a test match implies there is an issue with the offence as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jm08 wrote: »

After the 60-0, I'd say there is more of a problem with the defence.

Since the attack and defence coaches are the same person, it doesn't really matter. This coaching team needs new blood and new ideas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have difficulty believing it too. Though I also have difficulty believing Kidney wanted to bring Madigan on tour and wasn't allowed - and that rumour has gotten some legs of late. Whoever is at fault (and if it was Kidney's decision the IRFU should have questioned it and corrected it by now anyway), it has been a completely cack-handed approach.

I'm not so sure to be honest, something seems a miss in the IRFU recruitment dept recently.

There were problems with the head of conditioning and scrum coach recruitment so there is some smoke, shall we say, about them possibly not wanting to hire a backs coach.

There was an article in one of the Sunday papers a few weeks that Massimo Cuttita, who was strongly linked to the scrum position, had withdrawn his application over an ill defined job spec. It was in The Sunday Times so is behind a pay wall, though he was meant to have been named in May as the coach but nothing has been announced since.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/scrum-role-for-cuttitta-3112807.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cat A: €27
    Cat B: €18
    Terrace: €13.50
    Junior: €6.30

Early bird prices for Ireland XV vs Fiji at Thomond in November. Prices seem fine considering "Ireland XV" suggests a weakened side.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

I'm thinking about going to that match. I'm probably just going to go for the terrace, but can anyone tell what's the difference between Category A and B stand tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm thinking about going to that match. I'm probably just going to go for the terrace, but can anyone tell what's the difference between Category A and B stand tickets?

Cat A will be between the 22 and towrds the front of the stand Cat B will be the rear (higher up) of the stand and the two ends from about the 22 to the dead ball line.

Terrace is much better craic and a bit of freedom to move around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Fiji game was announced as an Ireland A game but has now been changed to an Ireland XV. So I wonder what team we will be seeing take the field.

He'll probably start ROG and DOC to 'keep them up to speed'.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Fiji game was announced as an Ireland A game but has now been changed to an Ireland XV. So I wonder what team we will be seeing take the field.

I think we'll see something along the lines of the side we see take the field against the Barbarians. It will be a non cap fixture, I assume, so I think we'll see a few new faces mixed in with all the fringe players. Here's the side we saw play in June:

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster); Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster), Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster), Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster); Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster), Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster); Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht), Mike Sherry (Garryowen/Munster), Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon/Ulster), Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster), Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster), John Muldoon (Galwegians/Connacht), Chris Henry (Ballymena/Ulster), Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think we'll see something along the lines of the side we see take the field against the Barbarians. It will be a non cap fixture, I assume, so I think we'll see a few new faces mixed in with all the fringe players. Here's the side we saw play in June:
    http://www.irb.com/mm/Document/LawsRegs/Regulations/02/06/29/68/nsrt.pdf

While its non cap its intrested to note that any players who play for Ireland in this fixture cannot play for any other country in the future.

While its non cap its intrested to note that any players who play for Ireland in this fixture cannot play for any other country in the future.

In that case, I'd put the house on Strauss making an appearance in that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Any chance we could throw in Quinn Roux now and wait the 3 years for residency before he makes his firsts debut?

Also very interesting to see countries starting to declare their U20 side as their second side officially more and more. Wales, France and now SA all have nominated their underage side as their second team. The Boks making the change this year will have a big impact for the provinces future signings given that's where Irish sides have most success and focus in terms of signings. If that was the case before, Strauss wouldn't be eligible to play for Ireland. Stander too if he was to stay the three years. With the number of South Africans that come here it will definitely have an impact on the project player approach. Provinces will be forced to look at lesser players to fill the role given the 30 best young players are going to be ineligible every year. Makes Quinn Roux all the more of a find given he didn't make the U20 squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

a few new faces mixed in with all the fringe players.

Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster), Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster);

If they're the half backs .......... I'll quietly fume and post narky comments here:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Good game to start Madigan. Wildcard Dougall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement