Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

leftleg wrote: »
    Lelantos wrote: »
    So, are we saying its all down to Kidney ¬ the fact that players are cheating him with horrendous performances & attitude?

“I’ll take responsibility for everything that happens,” Kidney said"

http://www.herald.ie/sport/rugby/kidney-ignores-calls-to-bring-in-backs-coach-3241829.html
    Yes, what would you expect him to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

"I quit."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So, are we saying its all down to Kidney &not the fact that players are cheating him with horrendous performances & attitude?

That’s a ridiculous statement. Even if it was true the blame would still be on Kidney for firstly losing the dressing room and secondly continuing to select players who “are cheating him with horrendous performances & attitude”.
    Your opinion, but even the most one eyed fan must recognise that certain players haven't performed as well for country as for their clubs in recent years & I really believe that the divide in the dressing room between club players still transfers to the international side. This isn't Kidney losing the dressing room, this is going on for years, any past player will tell you so. I just feel it is something that is glossed over. Perhaps the word cheated is too strong though.

Even if that is the case it is Kidneys responsibility to deal with that. If a player is proving toxic to the overall squad he should be dropped. I don't think it really is though. If you see the banter between a lot of the players on Twitter it seems they all get on quite well. Obviously they aren't all there but a good few of them are.

At the end of the day a lot of the issues we see are directly related to the coaches. POC at first receiver being a commonly used example. Another being the predictable nature of selections and substitutions that occur regardless of what is happening on the field. The reluctance to drop players who aren't performing even when other options exist (TOL being the best example) and now the insistence that changes aren't required when they blatantly are. These are all things that are down to the coaching staff. Players not performing well can certainly be as a result of issues with themselves. But when most of the players are playing at a lower level internationally than they are capable of you have to look at the common denominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/irfu-snub-irish-hopefuls-in-hunt-for-scrum-coach-3242146.html

"It is believed that former Italian international and one-time Scotland scrum coach Massimo Cuttita withdrew his acceptance of the position last summer as he felt the role was ill-defined."

Am I the only one who think Less Kiss could make an excellent scrum coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We've seen what these players can do when they are away from Kidney.

Ulster reached the Heineken Cup final and Leinster have defined themselves as the greatest squad in the history of the competition. Test rugby is a few steps up from provincial level but it isn't so far ahead that our players should look completely inferior when they make the step up.

Ulster and Leinster play well with ball in hand but when they play for Ireland the gameplan is to kick the ball as hard as you can. Thats the fault of Kidney and the coaches. We've stuck to the same gameplan since we won the Grand Slam. The game has moved on and he hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Am I the only one who think Less Kiss could make an excellent scrum coach?

Yeah im all for Less triple jobbing, hes doing a bang up job with the double job situation as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I've discovered how Deccer writes and delivers his speeches.Don't delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
    first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
    taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This
    is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Sounds just like Deccie doesn't it except it makes sense and you can understand it.

"Im sorry" for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

"Im sorry" for starters

Realistically what he should be saying is something like:

"Yes we haven't been as good as we could be. We have to hold our hands up to that as a group, players and coaches alike. There are changes that we need to make to how we approach the game to ensure that we make the best of the talent available to us. We are in the process of doing this at the moment and believe that we will see an improvement in November. Rugby is an ever changing game and we've been somewhat slow to react to that in the last few years, as our results and ranking clearly demonstrate. It's time we rectified that now."

Instead we got this (paraphrasing):

"I'm the boss, nothing needs to change in the coaching set-up. The players need to find the passion to play for their country again."

It's sad really given the stages of some of the players careers. I'm sure there are other things being said behind the scenes that we're not privy to. But nobody can expect us to pass judgement on anything other than what we see and hear. What's going on behind closed doors is an unknown we can't speak to.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Donald Coyle

jacothelad wrote: »
    I've discovered how Deccer writes and delivers his speeches.Don't delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
    first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
    taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This
    is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Sounds just like Deccie doesn't it except it makes sense and you can understand it.

Right, so based on the collective wisdom of DK and his backroom, the first line in the attack playbook probably looks something like this:

Gvie the blal to Pulaie at fsrit rvceeier so he can hit the dcek on cntaoct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So, are we saying its all down to Kidney &not the fact that players are cheating him with horrendous performances & attitude?

That’s a ridiculous statement. Even if it was true the blame would still be on Kidney for firstly losing the dressing room and secondly continuing to select players who “are cheating him with horrendous performances & attitude”.
    Your opinion, but even the most one eyed fan must recognise that certain players haven't performed as well for country as for their clubs in recent years & I really believe that the divide in the dressing room between club players still transfers to the international side. This isn't Kidney losing the dressing room, this is going on for years, any past player will tell you so. I just feel it is something that is glossed over. Perhaps the word cheated is too strong though.

You'll need to specify who's not performing, the way they're not performing, and the possible reasons for it, explaining how all other reasons are less believable than them simply not bothering, before it's even approaching reasonable to blame the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

You'll need to specify who's not performing, the way they're not performing, and the possible reasons for it, explaining how all other reasons are less believable than them simply not bothering, before it's even approaching reasonable to blame the players.

Which is a completely fair point. The players are actually performing as individuals and have all shown moments of brilliance and massive intensity. However, collectively, they seem completely disjointed and struggle to implement an effective game plan on the game. Who, out of the Irish 15, is genuinely performing poorly as an individual relative to their efforts for their province? Is their some player consistently falling off tackles, shirking responsibility and dropping passes every game that I haven't noticed?

I really believe that the divide in the dressing room between club players still transfers to the international side. This isn't Kidney losing the dressing room, this is going on for years, any past player will tell you so.

What past Irish player of the last 7 or 8 years has spoken of a divide between the players based on what teams they play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

GerM wrote: »
    What past Irish player of the last 7 or 8 years has spoken of a divide between the players based on what teams they play for?

Rob Kearney

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Rob Kearney

Quote? If it was the Enfield meeting then absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Rob Kearney

Kearney never said the dressing room was divided.

And what he did say almost offended the Munster players present, if they were putting in more effort for Munster than Ireland it was news to them.

No, but he did question why Munster players performed with more fire and passion for their club than when they played for Ireland....

Horan took offence when ROG reported what was mentioned by one of his group. RK took ownership of the comment to explain it and spoke of his admiration of the Munster group and the atmosphere and intensity they could generate saying he wanted that too. DOC and Horan actually spoke of their admiration for RK in the media after that. All that was missing was the group hug. Some division.

Somewhere along the line it has mutated into something completely different and inaccurate. It's the opposite of a division between the players. It was actually praising another province.

No, but he did question why Munster players performed with more fire and passion for their club than when they played for Ireland....

And then Ireland won the Slam. Go figure.

Doesn't take much to get the Leinster mafia riled up.... :D

Seriously though, if you want to believe there was zero hostility between Leinster and Munster players within the Irish camp over the past 7/8 years then fair enough....

No matter what way you dress up Kearneys comments, he was intimating (rightly so, I might add!) that Munster cared more about their province than their country... He was later widely praised for having to balls to raise this issue & I've no doubt it helped bring the team together in that grand slam winning season....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Doesn't take much to get the Leinster mafia riled up.... :D

Seriously though, if you want to believe there was zero hostility between Leinster and Munster players within the Irish camp over the past 7/8 years then fair enough....

No matter what way you dress up Kearneys comments, he was intimating (rightly so, I might add!) that Munster cared more about their province than their country... He was later widely praised for having to balls to raise this issue & I've no doubt it helped bring the team together in that grand slam winning season....

That's not what anyone's talking about though. The dressing room wasn't "divided", that wasn't the problem they were addressing.

Based on what though? The only ones who get riled are the small minded fans. There's zero evidence to suggest there is any animosity between players whatsoever.

Based on what though? The only ones who get riled are the small minded fans. There's zero evidence to suggest there is any animosity between players whatsoever.

So anyone who disagrees with your view is small minded?

Read my post again and try to understand the point I was making....

No, not at all. Those fans that feel animosity towards another set of fans are the small minded ones, I meant. I've never seen or heard of anything in relation to a player that suggests an issue between the provincial squads. It's just stirring.

Tbh you need to read what Kearney said again and try to understand what he was saying.

danthefan wrote: »
    Tbh you need to read what Kearney said again and try to understand what he was saying.

Me thinks it's you that needs to improve their understanding....

What say we agree to disagree?

Me thinks it's you that needs to improve their understanding....

What say we agree to disagree?

Of what?

danthefan wrote: »
    Of what?

Rugby?

You're not making much sense. And you clearly don't understand the point Kearney was making. Oh well.

• Advertisement

whiff of cordite on Gerrie's now infamous interview on off the ball last night

http://whiffofcordite.com/2012/09/27/way-off-the-ball/

What gets me is there are still a few followers and posters on the thread who seem to be defending both GT and the coaching setup.

Radge Fan wrote
    "Fairplay to Thornley for not going along with what most of his customers want to read/hear. Brave of him."

Fair play??
    Bravery??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement