Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

danthefan wrote: »
    You're not making much sense. And you clearly don't understand the point Kearney was making. Oh well.

I understand it perfectly well, I just don't agree with you're interpretation.

Don't take it too personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Whatever was said seemed to work; nuff said reallly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

leftleg wrote: »
    Radge Fan

You should have stopped reading when you saw this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Do all these clear the air meetings help in anyway?
    Isn't the main problem the gulf in size and fitness to teams such as New Zealand/England and Wales.
    A new style of play involving maintaining posession. All 15 players with the fitness and knowledge of how to execute a specific gameplan.
    Why do I think Jim McGuinness would actually manage to be better than Kidney with the same resources and players. For one he'd abandon quickly any tactic that wasn't working (kicking the ball to the opposition back three? POC as carrier?). Those two factors alone have been killing us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Isn't the main problem the gulf in size and fitness to teams such as New Zealand/England and Wales.

No. There is no gulf in size and fitness between Ireland and Wales/England and its questionable if there is one to NZ. There is a rather large gulf in how they approach the game however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Why do I think Jim McGuinness would actually manage to be better than Kidney with the same resources and players.

they wouldn't kick anything at all; it would be all about keeping the ball between close pods and working hard to get the ball back when its lost. You could be on to something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jackson has to be considered for an Ireland spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

In terms of performances over the last year Madigan has been better than Jackson. But Jackson is the first choice 10 for his province while Madigan is a replacement for Sexton.

It's only a matter of time before Jackson leapfrogs Madigan and becomes Irelands number 2 outhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jackson is the better player right now, but obviously Madigan has so much potential.

Then again Jackson is far younger... Bah it's a hard one to call.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jackson, if not ahead now, will be by then end of the season simply from playing first team rugby all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Clegg wrote: »
    In terms of performances over the last year Madigan has been better than Jackson. But Jackson is the first choice 10 for his province while Madigan is a replacement for Sexton.

It's only a matter of time before Jackson leapfrogs Madigan and becomes Irelands number 2 outhalf.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves lads. Madigan is three years older than Jackson and has played 54 games for the best team in Europe. Jackson has started 11 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Give Jackson time at this level to learn, he looked like a rabbit in the headlights at the H Cup final and there's always potential for the same to happen if he was thrown into an international too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jackson's general play was exceptional at times last night.

His kicking stats were 6 from 10 though and that is a bit of negative. Not so for Ulster as we have Pienaar but Ireland wouldn't have that luxury if he ever started for them. I think his stats for the season are 15 from 21 which is decent but it would be nice if he got up to 80%. Still most kickers mature and become more reliable with experience so for a 20 year old he's doing grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So with Kearney potentially being out for the AI's, who can Ireland play at FB?

Earls seems the most likely option but then we need someone to take his spot on the wing. I'm still not comfortable with Zebo at test level but there doesn't really seem to be man other options other than himself or Trimble. I'd take Gilroy but Kidney doesn't seem to rate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Earls seems the most likely option but then we need someone to take his spot on the wing. I'm still not comfortable with Zebo at test level but there doesn't really seem to be man other options other than himself or Trimble. I'd take Gilroy but Kidney doesn't seem to rate him.

Meh, the argument for leaving out Zebo can be easily applied to Gilroy

And for what it's worth I think Zebo has shown more in the early part of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd say we'll see

Healy
    Best
    Ross
    Ryan
    POC
    Ferris
    POM
    Heaslip

Murray
    Sexton
    Zebo
    Wallace
    BOD
    Bowe
    Earls

Gilroy didn't get ahead of Zebo for NZ so there's not a hope he will now

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd say we'll see

Healy
    Best
    Ross
    Ryan
    POC
    Ferris
    POM
    Heaslip

Murray
    Sexton
    Zebo
    Wallace
    BOD
    Bowe
    Earls

Paddy Wallace won't get back into the squad anymore I'd say. He turned 33 in August. Downey got called up to the squad meet up ahead of him too.

POC hasn't played for months and is still touch and go for the Racing match. I don't think he'll make it back in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Madigan to 15 maybe?

Hersheys wrote: »
    Madigan to 15 maybe?

Only if plays in the HEC and performs.

• Advertisement

Hersheys wrote: »
    Madigan to 15 maybe?

God no, he's barely good enough to play there in the Rabo, Earls is the most obvious replacement but he doesn't seem to want to play there, so I really don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Trimble
    12. Downey
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Bowe
    15. Earls

Earlsy will throw a fit if he has to play 15.

Teferi wrote: »

rather that than be on the bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

No he won't.

If BOD is fit, Earls doesn't play 13. The 12-13 thing of them is interesting because the lack of a real quality 12 but Earls is probably the best 15 available.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No he won't.

His interviews of the last year and a half tell a different story.
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Earls is probably the best 15 available.

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

His interviews of the last year and a half tell a different story.

I don't think his interviews tell a story that he'll throw his toys out of the pram if he isn't picked at 13 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's hard to pick an Ireland XV just yet. If you did and you picked it on form it would be a predominantly Ulster/Munster XV yet we know that probably half the team will be Leinster players (Kearney, O'Driscoll, Sexton, Healy, Ross, Heaslip are certs for starters).

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I don't think his interviews tell a story that he'll throw his toys out of the pram if he isn't picked at 13 either.

Every interview he has he mentions he wants to play 13 whether for Munster or for Ireland. It's boring to read at this stage.

He might not throw his toys out of the pram but I can guarantee you he won't be happy about it. In which case he will mention it in an interview again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Earls doesn't seem the type to throw a hissy fit, if he's asked to play 15 I'm sure he'll realise it's what the team needs and he'll put in all his effort to playing well there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement