Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think he'd be happier at fullback than on the wing, my reading of his desire to play center is that he probably wants to get his hands on the ball a bit more, 15 would give him plenty of opportunities to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

If we were nz or wales Marion and Robbie henshaw would see some game time in the autumn int's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

gally74 wrote: »
    If we were nz or wales Marion and Robbie henshaw would see some game time in the autumn int's

Ah come on now. There are at least 5 young wingers ahead of henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Henshaw has had one good/excellent game. Cool the jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ah come on now. There are at least 5 young wingers ahead of henshaw.

Including another one at Connacht

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous statement. Henshaw has played what? A little over 150 mins of pro rugby, and that's including against Zebre. He's 19 as well. Guys like Gilroy, Griffin, O'Dea should be looked at well before his inclusion is even contemplated. And Marmion is in a similar situation, but to add to that, he's had some performances this season he'd want to forget. Marshall, Murray, Reddan and Boss are all ahead of him. Well done for Connacht on the victory and everything, but jesus, a bit of calm heads required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

We need 2 full backs for the a I'd so who are they Kearney, Duffy out

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

We need 2 full backs for the a I'd so who are they Kearney, Duffy out

Earls will play there, his backup (outside of the matchday 22) would probably be Hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Teferi wrote: »
    Earlsy will throw a fit if he has to play 15.

Bullsh*t, pure and utter bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

phog wrote: »
    Bullsh*t, pure and utter bull.

Posters can no longer find any obvious flaws with his game, so now they attack his attitude. Straw-man arguments 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

ROG shouldn't be included in the AI's squad.

I know he will but he's beyond woeful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Bring O'Dea in at 15 for the Autumn Internationals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Posters

I didn't know Teferi was a multiple of posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Posters can no longer find any obvious flaws with his game, so now they attack his attitude. Straw-man arguments 101.

Said without even a hint of irony, incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd say we'll see

Healy
    Best
    Ross
    Ryan
    POC
    Ferris
    POM
    Heaslip

Murray
    Sexton
    Zebo
    Wallace
    BOD
    Bowe
    Earls

Paddy Wallace won't get back into the squad anymore I'd say. He turned 33 in August. Downey got called up to the squad meet up ahead of him too.

POC hasn't played for months and is still touch and go for the Racing match. I don't think he'll make it back in time.

You really think Downey will play 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hagz wrote: »
    I didn't know Teferi was a multiple of posters.

Mate, every poster on this board except you is me just using sockpuppets. I'm even Cpt_Blackbeard, I just love arguing with myself you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Donald Coyle

You really think Downey will play 12?
    Was Wallace returning from injury around the time the training squad was announced? He only came on as a sub in Ulster's last game, and probably for longer than expected. I'd hope we don't see him in the squad for the AI's but if D'arcy is out, it's hard to see the alternatives. Downey is probably a little untested for 2 must-win games. Maybe it's best to go with BOD at 12 and Earls outside (if we can find a FB). Or maybe DK will do a LK on it and let Earls play both positions.

Meant as a reply to "Paddy Wallace won't get back into the squad anymore I'd say. He turned 33 in August. Downey got called up to the squad meet up ahead of him too."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wallace is just back from injury, he came off the bench against Cardiff after around 20 mins and was terrific. I'm not saying Ireland should look to him given he's 33, but based on last season's form and Friday night then he's right up there form wise. In saying that Kidneyball doesn't really suit him, it suits a D'Arcy or Downey better so maybe for that reason we're better off with them at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    Wallace is just back from injury, he came off the bench against Cardiff after around 20 mins and was terrific. I'm not saying Ireland should look to him given he's 33, but based on last season's form and Friday night then he's right up there form wise. In saying that Kidneyball doesn't really suit him, it suits a D'Arcy or Downey better so maybe for that reason we're better off with them at 12.

Well ins an attempt to save my sanity I'm not going to enter into a debate about who I think should play. That never ends well when Kidney is selecting. I'm just wondering what people think he will do. Wallace seems like the Kidney answer.

Also not sure what players are suited to Kidneyball.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

No players are suited to kidneyball

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I hate the phrase Kidneyball!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well ins an attempt to save my sanity I'm not going to enter into a debate about who I think should play. That never ends well when Kidney is selecting. I'm just wondering what people think he will do. Wallace seems like the Kidney answer.

Also not sure what players are suited to Kidneyball.....

Well certainly not footballing 12s.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

In all honesty if it was me picking the team I'd like to see Luke Marshall at 12 or perhaps if we are forced to move Earls to 15 to accommodate an injury to Kearney then perhaps BOD a 12 and Cave at 13 might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

You could just be more straightforward and say that international rugby doesn't suit him. He's not good enough, never has been and never will be now.

Go with Marshall and hope he comes good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

I'd be more inclined to use McFadden at 12 against SA and Argentina and let a new player have a go against Fiji. Speaking of which, since that's an Ireland XV match will it count towards the world rankings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

ray jay wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to use McFadden at 12 against SA and Argentina and let a new player have a go against Fiji.

Starting McFadden at 12 considering the form of Marshall would be a travesty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I'd be more inclined to use McFadden at 12 against SA and Argentina and let a new player have a go against Fiji. Speaking of which, since that's an Ireland XV match will it count towards the world rankings?

Currently, McFadden needs to worry about ensuring he starts for Leinster before he can start thinking about green jerseys. I'd have Marshall in at 12 definitely at the moment. Darce is not consistently up to international level any longer, Downey doesn't offer enough and is too easily exposed (I only saw Dragons try a couple of days ago and it was the flat footed inability to react that he has been guilty of way too often) and Wallace is too old. 12 is a real problem position for us.

Marshall is the one bloke that looks comfortable with the ball in hand, has plenty of power and is young enough to be a long term option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Starting McFadden at 12 considering the form of Marshall would be a travesty

Marshalls been solid but unspectacular, what you'd expect considering how little pro gametime he's had in the past year. I'd expect Mcfadden to still be ahead of him at 12 but lots of rugby between now and the AI's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

No. Only capped games do so. I'd still expect to see DOC, ROG, darcy et al being selected for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

GerM wrote: »
    Currently, McFadden needs to worry about ensuring he starts for Leinster before he can start thinking about green jerseys.
    Look I'd love to see Marshall get his chance at some point but he has only played a handful of Pro12 matches, starting him against the likes of SA is not a smart approach. Look at what happened to Jackson when he was suddenly bumped to Ulster's first choice 10 just in time for the HEC final. The Fiji match would be a far better choice.

I'm not saying McFadden is necessarily the ideal choice for 12 either, but he'll do as a stop-gap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement