Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

POC had a back issue that didn't settle down and couldn't take contact. He was able to train with the squad (and is still training) and will be back sooner rather than later. I would say he could play in the next 2 weeks. His big issue is match fitness right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

danthefan wrote: »
    I would think that applies to absolutely any player.

Like it or not some are more equal than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I read somewhere yesterday that O'Connells injuries are just taking a bit longer than expected to clear up but he's training which is a good sign.

In the unlikely event that O'Connell is out for the NI's, i think Devin Toner should be starting in his place. Guaranteed line-out ball would really help cover up the gaping hole left by POC. Ryan and Toner would do a good job imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I read somewhere yesterday that O'Connells injuries are just taking a bit longer than expected to clear up but he's training which is a good sign.

In the unlikely event that O'Connell is out for the NI's, i think Devin Toner should be starting in his place. Guaranteed line-out ball would really help cover up the gaping hole left by POC. Ryan and Toner would do a good job imo.

Toner is well down the pecking order. He'd be about 6th in line for an Irish jersey and he'd have an in-form Stevenson pushing him for that spot at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Guaranteed line-out ball would really help cover up the gaping hole left by POC.
    Guaranteed lineout ball would be more assured with a slick lineout operation and an accurate thrower. You don't need someone who is 6'10" to do that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Toner is well down the pecking order. He'd be about 6th in line for an Irish jersey and he'd have an in-form Stevenson pushing him for that spot at that.

Behind what 5?

Guaranteed lineout ball would be more assured with a slick lineout operation and an accurate thrower. You don't need someone who is 6'10" to do that...

You don't need someone who is that tall but it makes it a hell of a lot easier especially when that guy has excellent hands. You are leas reliant on all components of the line out running like clockwork when you can just hoist a guy well above the opposition and throw the ball 10 inches higher than you normally would. Also, Toner all but guarantees at least one stolen ball a match. A slick thrower and a tightly run line out are far from easy to pit together especially when the personnel only play together 7 or 8 times a year.

Not saying I would have him in the side but if we wanted to go with a side based on line out, he would certainly have to be in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm a big fan of Toner, but I want to see him as the starting Leinster HEC lock before we talk about Ireland. I do, however, think he is more then capable of filling that role for Leinster, but let's wait to see if he gets picked there first as I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Tox56 wrote: »
    Behind what 5?

POC
    Ryan
    Tuohy
    McCarthy
    DOC

I think.

Behind what 5?
    You'd have to say POC, DOC, DR, DT and potentially McCarthy are ahead of him at the moment judging by selections. Stevenson has been playing great stuff for Ulster for some time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Behind what 5?
    Well, this isn't necessarily the order I'd have but: POC, Ryan, Tuohy, DOC and Macca.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Toner, but I want to see him as the starting Leinster HEC lock before we talk about Ireland. I do, however, think he is more then capable of filling that role for Leinster, but let's wait to see if he gets picked there first as I have my doubts.

I can see that happening, he started a lot of the games last year and this year there is no Brad Thorn, with Leo unlikely to last 80 minutes too often I'd like to see him as the one constant in there.

GerM wrote: »
    You'd have to say POC, DOC, DR, DT and potentially McCarthy are ahead of him at the moment judging by selections. Stevenson has been playing great stuff for Ulster for some time too.

I meant (and probably should have clarified) in what order, but if he continues his form from last season and starts H Cup regularly (big part of the equation) he should be right in the mix

It is also worth noting that Toner is the youngest of all of those 5 (or 6).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I meant (and probably should have clarified) in what order, but if he continues his form from last season and starts H Cup regularly (big part of the equation) he should be right in the mix

It is also worth noting that Toner is the youngest of all of those 5 (or 6).

in order

POC
    Ryan
    Touhy
    DOC
    McCarthy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I can see that happening, he started a lot of the games last year and this year there is no Brad Thorn, with Leo unlikely to last 80 minutes too often I'd like to see him as the one constant in there.

So would I. I just worry about a Toner/Cullen pairing lacking some grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Podge_irl wrote: »
    So would I. I just worry about a Toner/Cullen pairing lacking some grunt.
    Fair point. Plus Toner's height seemed to really work against him in the Connacht game, with regards being
    held up when tackled. Might work well with an ultra competitive player like Donnacha Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Toner will be first-choice for Leinster this season, something that he hasn't been previously (and there are very few Irish locks who would have been ahead of O'Kelly, Hines or Thorn, in Toner's defence). That should give him a decent platform to push for an Ireland spot; at the moment I would rank him fourth, behind POC, Ryan and Tuohy, although Kidney will have DOC and possibly McCarthy ahead of him.

He has been in great form so far this season and towards the end of last season, so hopefully he can continue and build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

snip>

data updated and posted in #5100

Thanks to bilston for spotting the errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gert Smal and Les Kiss were at Munsters training session today. Probably checking the progress of players ahead of the AI's.

But whats interesting is that Laurie Fisher was with them. Now he may have just been there to visit his old team but its a bit strange that he was there at the same time as the Irish coaches.

If he's been given a job with Ireland then Kidney has lost his mind and our national team is as good as dead.

Clegg wrote: »
    Gert Smal and Les Kiss were at Munsters training session today. Probably checking the progress of players ahead of the AI's.

But whats interesting is that Laurie Fisher was with them. Now he may have just been there to visit his old team but its a bit strange that he was there at the same time as the Irish coaches.

If he's been given a job with Ireland then Kidney has lost his mind and our national team is as good as dead.

A guy visits his old team mates and the world is turned on it's head :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

phog wrote: »
    A guy visits his old team mates and the world is turned on it's head :rolleyes:
    I've already said he was probably there visiting his old club.

But the very thought of Fisher near the Irish set up fills me with dread.

I've already said he was probably there visiting his old club.

But the very thought of Fisher near the Irish set up fills me with dread.

Yea but another poor soul may read your post as fact then we end up with a major rant over something that in all probability wont be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think he is contracted to coach the heir to Richie's crown for the next while back in Australia. (He is the Brumbies Forward Coach).

You can relax - from his tweets:

Laurie Fisher ‏@LordLaurie58 Off to Ireland tomorrow. Looking forward to catching up with friends and having a close look at some rugby program's. #guinnessisgoodforyou

Interesting chat with Stephen Moore about the All-Ireland between Donegal & Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wasn't sure where to post this as it's stats for both the league and and H/Cup. It excludes the Amlin Cup for Connacht but I have included Munster's two games in the Amlin.

Team Away Draw Home Draw Draw Away Loss Home Loss Loss Away Win Home Win Win Total
    Connacht 2 7 9 90 51 141 11 45 56 206
    Leinster 7 3 10 76 24 100 74 129 203 313
    Munster 3 1 4 82 23 105 84 140 224 333
    Ulster 5 4 9 93 18 111 52 106 158 278

I have listed the Loss/Win/Draw by Home or Away and then included the total for each result.
    For knockout games in neutral venues I've listed the teams as "home or away" depending on how they were listed in the respective tournament website.

When does this go back to?

bilston wrote: »
    When does this go back to?

95/96 for H/cup and 01/02 for the league, it doesn't take into account any InterPros that were played outside of the Celtic League fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

95/96 for H/cup and 01/02 for the league, it doesn't take into account any InterPros that were played outside of the Celtic League fixtures.

Interesting stats. Munster have only drawn 4 matches in the last 16 years!

I'm a bit surprised that Munster have played 55 more games since 95/96 than Ulster. I know Munster have made the knockout stages of the HEC and league more than Ulster have but even still 55 seems a lot!

I'm a bit surprised that Munster have played 55 more games since 95/96 than Ulster. I know Munster have made the knockout stages of the HEC and league more than Ulster have but even still 55 seems a lot!

Yea, seems a big difference, I'll check the data later, maybe I've missed out on earlier H/C matches as the pools and rounds we listed differently on their site than they appear now.

I'll update later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, does sound like a lot. Munster probably made (on average) 2 extra HEC games per season from '99 to '12 so that's about 28. Maybe a few more Celtic Cup ties or CL knockouts, but I doubt it was that many.

Updated the stats.

I have listed the Loss/Win/Draw by Home or Away and then included the total for each result.
    For knockout games in neutral venues I've listed the teams as "home or away" depending on how they were listed in the respective tournament website. These exclude Connacht's Amlin games but include their venture into H/cup, I've included Munster's two Amlin games.

Team Away Draw Home Draw Draw Total Away Loss Home Loss Loss total Away Win Home Win Win total Total
    Connacht 2 7 9 90 51 141 11 45 56 206
    Leinster 7 3 10 76 24 100 74 139 213 323
    Munster 3 1 4 82 23 105 84 140 224 333
    Ulster 5 4 9 97 41 138 52 107 159 306

This is a breakdown of games by competition and season for the 3 provinces.

Season Munster Amlin Munster H/C Munster League Leinster H/C Leinster League Ulster H/C Ulster League
    95/96 2 3 2
    96/97 4 4 4
    97/98 6 6 6
    98/99 7 6 9
    99/00 10 6 6
    00/01 8 6 6
    01/02 9 9 7 10 6 9
    02/03 8 10 8 7 6 9
    03/04 8 22 6 22 6 22
    04/05 7 20 7 20 6 20
    05/06 9 20 8 20 6 20
    06/07 7 20 7 20 6 20
    07/08 9 18 6 18 6 18
    08/09 8 18 9 18 6 18
    09/10 1 8 19 8 20 6 18
    10/11 1 6 24 9 24 7 23
    11/12 7 23 9 24 9 22
    12/13 5 5 4
    Total 2 123 208 115 208 103 203

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Joe Schmidt has extended his Leinster contract, so no Irish job for him then!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement