Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Lelantos wrote: »
    Joe Schmidt has extended his Leinster contract, so no Irish job for him then!

Bradley.....................................................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Maybe, but then Leinster is part of the IRFU so I wouldn't count your chickens yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

bilston wrote: »

Maybe, but then Leinster is part of the IRFU so I wouldn't count your chickens yet...
    Nope, his career is on an upward curve, why would he want to put it into freefall taking the Irish job. He's being watched by SH clubs & Auckland have been said to be very interested. Logical progression for the guy to return home & further his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Nope, his career is on an upward curve, why would he want to put it into freefall taking the Irish job. He's being watched by SH clubs & Auckland have been said to be very interested. Logical progression for the guy to return home & further his career.

The Ireland national job is bigger than managing any club

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    The Ireland national job is bigger than managing any club

Any international job is bigger than a club job but why would a coach who could realistically be coaching the AB's within the next decade if he continues his upward trend attach himself to Ireland where he could ruin his reputation?

Eddie is finding it hard enough to get a decent job and Kidney will too after he is ousted. It's a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Teferi wrote: »
    Any international job is bigger than a club job but why would a coach who could realistically be coaching the AB's within the next decade if he continues his upward trend attach himself to Ireland where he could ruin his reputation?

Eddie is finding it hard enough to get a decent job and Kidney will too after he is ousted. It's a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment.

Coaching Ireland would be a great opportunity to enhance his reputation. Look at where Ireland are at the minute. Playing poorly, low confidence, players unhappy with the way the team is playing, some problem positions that need sorting etc.

If Schmidt took the job, first of all he'd change the style of play ie bring it up to date. The players would be more comfortable with it and they would be happier as a result. Schmidt would pick players to suit the style. So you'd expect a big increase in performance levels and the results will follow.

Between now and the world cup, with all the players coming through Schmidt will have the luxury of having multiple options in every position. As well as having more players to choose from he'll have better quality players. I think it would be a great career move if he had anything like the same effect he has with Leinster.

I don't think its going to happen now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

profitius wrote: »
    Coaching Ireland would be a great opportunity to enhance his reputation. Look at where Ireland are at the minute. Playing poorly, low confidence, players unhappy with the way the team is playing, some problem positions that need sorting etc.

If Schmidt took the job, first of all he'd change the style of play ie bring it up to date. The players would be more comfortable with it and they would be happier as a result. Schmidt would pick players to suit the style. So you'd expect a big increase in performance levels and the results will follow.

Between now and the world cup, with all the players coming through Schmidt will have the luxury of having multiple options in every position. As well as having more players to choose from he'll have better quality players. I think it would be a great career move if he had anything like the same effect he has with Leinster.

I don't think its going to happen now though.

I agree with you but I'm beginning to think that the current rot goes deeper than just the Coach, I can imagine that the IRFU is a tricky beast to navigate politically as head coach of Ireland which may not make it an attractive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

would love to hear some peoples ireland u25 team just to see where we will be and how good they are

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

leonard7 wrote: »
    would love to hear some peoples ireland u25 team just to see where we will be and how good they are

Players 25 and under?

15. Keith Earls (25)
    14. Craig Gilroy (21)
    13. Darren Cave (25)
    12. Luke Marshall (21)
    11. Simon Zebo (22)
    10. Ian Madigan (23)
    9. Conor Murray (23)
    8. Peter O'Mahony (23)
    7. Sean O'Brien (25)
    6. Dominic Ryan (22)
    5. Iain Henderson (20)
    4. Ian Nagle (23)
    3. Jamie Hagan (23)
    2. Mike Sherry (24)
    1. Cian Healy (25)

16. Tom Sexton (22)
    17. Denis Buckley (22)
    18. Adam Macklin (23)
    19. Dave Foley (24)
    20. Rhys Ruddock (21)
    21. John Cooney (22)
    22. Paddy Jackson (20)
    23. Tiernan O'Halloran (21)

And you've got other forwards like McAllister (23), Dougall (22), DOC2 (22), Butler (21), Ruddock (22), McGrath (23), Henry (25), Kilcoyne (23)

And backs such as Keatley (25), Hanrahan (20), Jones (25), Griffin (23), McSharry (22), Henshaw (19), Kearney (23), Conway (21), O'Malley (23), O'Dea (22)

I know people won't agree with all the choices but I think we can be reasonably confident for the future with that kind of talent available.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Players 25 and under?

15. Keith Earls (25)
    14. Craig Gilroy (21)
    13. Darren Cave (25)
    12. Luke Marshall (21)
    11. Simon Zebo (22)
    10. Ian Madigan (23)
    9. Conor Murray (23)
    8. Peter O'Mahony (23)
    7. Sean O'Brien (25)
    6. Dominic Ryan (22)
    5. Iain Henderson (20)
    4. Ian Nagle (23)
    3. Jamie Hagan (23)
    2. Mike Sherry (24)
    1. Cian Healy (25)

16. Tom Sexton (22)
    17. Denis Buckley (22)
    18. Adam Macklin (23)
    19. Dave Foley (24)
    20. Rhys Ruddock (21)
    21. John Cooney (22)
    22. Paddy Jackson (20)

And you've got other forwards like McAllister (23), Dougall (22), DOC2 (22), Butler (21), Ruddock (22), McGrath (23), Henry (25)

And backs such as Keatley (25), Hanrahan (20), Jones (25), Griffin (23), McSharry (22), Henshaw (19), Kearney (23), Conway (21), O'Malley (23), O'Dea (22), Kilcoyne (23)

I know people won't agree with all the choices but I think we can be reasonably confident for the future with that kind of talent available.

That's a decent team I'd swap Jackson and Madigan around. I personally think that Jackson controls the game better atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

And backs such as Keatley (25), Hanrahan (20), Jones (25), Griffin (23), McSharry (22), Henshaw (19), Kearney (23), Conway (21), O'Malley (23), O'Dea (22), Kilcoyne (23)

I know Kilcoyne is pretty good in the loose but that might be pushing it a bit far.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Hard to believe the November Internationals are only a month away and still no thread.. *cough* :p

Anyone know when the AI squad is named? Sometimes it is announced between rounds 1 and 2 of the HEC, no reference point from last year obviously because of the WC but I think in 2010 it was announced after Rd2 which makes a lot more sense.

From the weekend just gone I'd say of the fringe players Henderson, Marshall, Jackson, Zebo and McFadden (not so much fringe but not first choice if others are available) pushed their respective causes. Can't comment on the Connacht players but would be interested to know how the likes of McSharry, Griffin, O'Halloran, Henshaw and Buckley did. I also thought Ian Whitten had a good game for Exeter but he'll not even be close to consideration.

If you were to pick a form Irish XV at the moment there wouldn't be too many regular 1st XVers in the team! Sexton, Bowe, Ross, Healy...anyone else???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Really hope we see Henderson play against Fiji, such a rare talent shouldnt be held back. Buckley should be starting that game too, no point playing Court, Wilkinson started the last A international and Buckleys overtaken him for Connacht. He's like an extra flanker with his workrate, funny how when he first made an appearance towards the end of last season all the talk was of how unfit he looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Players 25 and under?

15. Keith Earls (25)
    14. Craig Gilroy (21)
    13. Darren Cave (25)
    12. Luke Marshall (21)
    11. Simon Zebo (22)
    10. Ian Madigan (23)
    9. Conor Murray (23)
    8. Peter O'Mahony (23)
    7. Sean O'Brien (25)
    6. Dominic Ryan (22)
    5. Iain Henderson (20)
    4. Ian Nagle (23)
    3. Jamie Hagan (23)
    2. Mike Sherry (24)
    1. Cian Healy (25)

16. Tom Sexton (22)
    17. Denis Buckley (22)
    18. Adam Macklin (23)
    19. Dave Foley (24)
    20. Rhys Ruddock (21)
    21. John Cooney (22)
    22. Paddy Jackson (20)

And you've got other forwards like McAllister (23), Dougall (22), DOC2 (22), Butler (21), Ruddock (22), McGrath (23), Henry (25)

Ah heeeeyyore leave it out

What about poor Luke Fitzgerald?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who is going to be replacement tighthead? Deccie Fitz is out at the moment. It's not a great situation where only one starting IQ tighthead in the country is Ross, who doesn't have too many years left.

Hopefully it will be Loughney, god forbid if it's Archer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who is going to be replacement tighthead? Deccie Fitz is out at the moment. It's not a great situation where only one starting IQ tighthead in the country is Ross, who doesn't have too many years left.

I think Kidney will keep faith in Loughney. Don't see how it could possibly be Archer... surely Hagan is more likely!

They really should bring in some sort of new rules limiting the number of NIQs at each position! :/

Tony Buckley scored for Sale.

He's a shoe in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Furlong and Moore have potential, but they are very very young. Furlong is only 20, so if he is thrown in at the right time he could be a mainstay for Leinster (and possibly Ireland) for a long, long time. I know they say not to hype players too soon, but he always seem to impress whenever given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The only choice to have flip a coin between Bent and Hagan. ?Unfair to do it any other way although Deccie could decide to go for youth and push Moore or Furlong. Then again McGrath played TH for the As and we need to develop an ambipropsterous prop in case they go back to 22 man squads so he could get the shirt.

By the way are my new blue tinted glasses too obvious in this light

In all seriousness I think Hagan although if Fitzpatrick is back it should definitely be him and there is a chance it could be Loughney as well

• Advertisement

Players 25 and under?

15. Keith Earls (25)
    14. Craig Gilroy (21)
    13. Darren Cave (25)
    12. Luke Marshall (21)
    11. Simon Zebo (22)
    10. Ian Madigan (23)
    9. Conor Murray (23)
    8. Peter O'Mahony (23)
    7. Sean O'Brien (25)
    6. Dominic Ryan (22)
    5. Iain Henderson (20)
    4. Ian Nagle (23)
    3. Jamie Hagan (23)
    2. Mike Sherry (24)
    1. Cian Healy (25)

16. Tom Sexton (22)
    17. Denis Buckley (22)
    18. Adam Macklin (23)
    19. Dave Foley (24)
    20. Rhys Ruddock (21)
    21. John Cooney (22)
    22. Paddy Jackson (20)

I worry about the second row, yes there's Henderson but Nagle hasn't made the progress you'd have hoped by now, likewise Foley. I'm certainly not discounting, heck they play for Munster so the chances are they'll be introduced more slowly than they would at Leinster or Ulster but we need one of them to really shine.

Generally speaking I think we'll have more depth going forward than we have done in the past but I'm not sure I see an outside back like O'Driscoll or Hickie with the ability to create something out of absolutely nothing that has helped spark us in the past. We've a lot of very good backs but I don't know that any of them will be world class. I mean having seen a bit of this French kid Fickou do we have anyone with his game breaking ability coming through? I'd like to see a bit more of Robbie Henshaw at Connacht and Peter Nelson at Ulster as they may have a bit of X Factor about them but they've a long way to go.

Mick Kearney at Connacht could easily turn into an excellent option at 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ireland01

If ireland capped D.Buckley during the A.I's we could have 2 world class L.H's by the next world cup. He looks to be comfortable against top opposition like Afoa and is similiar to warburtan in the loose the way he pounces on loose ball around the ruck. While he is arguably connachts most important player and it would be a massive loss if he wasnt availble to them for a few weeks, it could mean he gets a central contract which could free up money for connnacht

I worry about the second row, yes there's Henderson but Nagle hasn't made the progress you'd have hoped by now, likewise Foley. I'm certainly not discounting, heck they play for Munster so the chances are they'll be introduced more slowly than they would at Leinster or Ulster but we need one of them to really shine.

In the medium term, Ryan, Tuohy and Toner all have a good few years of rugby left so there is time for the likes those guys to develop. With Cullen, Muller, POC and DOC being immovable in their respective sides for so long (plus Hines and Thorn at Leinster), there hasn't been huge scope for younger guys to get significant experience but the next year or two will see these older guys shuffling off and it will be sink or swim for the next batch.

ireland01 wrote: »
    If ireland capped D.Buckley during the A.I's we could have 2 world class L.H's by the next world cup. He looks to be comfortable against top opposition like Afoa and is similiar to warburtan in the loose the way he pounces on loose ball around the ruck. While he is arguably connachts most important player and it would be a massive loss if he wasnt availble to them for a few weeks, it could mean he gets a central contract which could free up money for connnacht

Great to hear and it would be terrific if Connacht started getting players on central contracts as you say it will free up some more money for them but more importantly perhaps it will be recognition that players can make the grade at test level and play for Connacht. But I suspect for this to happen Connacht need to stay in the HEC and on the basis of the weekend, it's not looking just as hopeful as previous seasons that there'll be an Irish winner this time around.

So who has enhanced their claims for a spot in the Ireland squad after this weekend's action? Who shot themselves in the foot?
    [Note; didn't see the Connacht game]

Winners:
    Paul Marshall - an all-action display that was backed up with solid decision-making, deserved his MOTM award.
    Chris Henry - with Sean O'Brien doubtful, Henry laid a powerful claim to the #7 jersey with a great display against Castres.
    Paddy Jackson - questions that arose after his performance in the HEC final are gradually being put to bed. More game time could see him nudge ahead of Madigan.
    Fergus McFadden - a second week in a row of very solid play in the #12 jersey. Like Marshall, his biggest problem is keeping his provincial jersey to maintain his national claims.
    Richardt Strauss - the Leinster lineout was dodgy at times but Strauss backed up his display against Munster with another show of controlled agression and razor-sharpness.
    Simon Zebo - one of his better all-round displays; showed a great eye in attack for the try but also contributed more around the park than most of the backs.

Losers:
    Brian O'Driscoll - unlikely to be dropped but this was not his best weekend by a long stretch
    Ian Madigan - playing out of position is not helping his cause in displacing ROG as back-up but didn't look comfortable.
    Conor Murray - a bad day at the office, no need to go back over it
    Ian Keatley - got his chance at #10; not a day for flowing backline moves but Keatley couldn't stamp any authority on the game, also failed to deal with a greasy ball for the Racing try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Great to hear and it would be terrific if Connacht started getting players on central contracts as you say it will free up some more money for them but more importantly perhaps it will be recognition that players can make the grade at test level and play for Connacht. But I suspect for this to happen Connacht need to stay in the HEC and on the basis of the weekend, it's not looking just as hopeful as previous seasons that there'll be an Irish winner this time around.

I just have a feeling if Connacht players were getting central contracts they would soon be snapped up by Leinster Munster or Ulster leaving us without again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I just have a feeling if Connacht players were getting central contracts they would soon be snapped up by Leinster Munster or Ulster leaving us without again

The players won't be forced to leave its up to Connacht to secure their loyalty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'd add Henderson to the winners- he was outstanding and should definitely be considered for the Fiji game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The players won't be forced to leave its up to Connacht to secure their loyalty

If Connacht weren't in the H Cup I would not be surprised at all if the IRFU asked players to move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement