Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The players won't be forced to leave its up to Connacht to secure their loyalty

And constant HEC rugby especially with the likelyhood with the qualification looking like its going to change, is a draw that any player with international aspirations can't turn down. imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

ROG needs to be retired from international selection and Jackson/Madigan brought in as Sextons understudy.

Hook has an article in todays Indo where he says that ROG needs to have his contract extended as he's the only player good enough to start for Ireland if Sexton is injured.

We all know this is complete rubbish and that ROG has been in dire form for 18 months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hook is an idiot and I'm disgusted that any of my TV license money goes to him quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Hook is an idiot and I'm disgusted that any of my TV license money goes to him quite frankly.
    Lots of people still regard him as one of the voices of Irish rugby, so they'll listen to what he says, no matter how wrong his opinions actually are.

It's the same story with Thornley.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I'd add Henderson to the winners- he was outstanding and should definitely be considered for the Fiji game

+1

He looked seriously good. He has to get into the squad for the Fiji game.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Lots of people still regard him as one of the voices of Irish rugby, so they'll listen to what he says, no matter how wrong his opinions actually are.

It's the same story with Thornley.

Unfortunately I am only too well aware of that.

I used to be a fan of Thornley. But his writing has reaching sycophantic levels at this stage. The standard of rugby reporting in this country is so bloody bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Unfortunately I am only too well aware of that.

I used to be a fan of Thornley. But his writing has reaching sycophantic levels at this stage. The standard of rugby reporting in this country is so bloody bad.

I was surprised to learn that not only is O'Gara the most viable back-up at out-half, but the solution to Ireland's dilemma at scrum-half is not Murray, Reddan or Marshall but Peter Stringer.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/george-hook-munster-get-ugly-glimpse-into-life-without-ogara-3258969.html

Learn something new every day I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I was surprised to learn that not only is O'Gara the most viable back-up at out-half, but the solution to Ireland's dilemma at scrum-half is not Murray, Reddan or Marshall but Peter Stringer.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/george-hook-munster-get-ugly-glimpse-into-life-without-ogara-3258969.html

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I saw that earlier, and even by Hook's standards, I think that is the worst rugby article I have ever read, some ridiculous stuff in there.

I genuinely have to wonder if he even watches the games. I'm utterly perplexed as to how anyone could come close to arriving at those opinions. Its farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Well he clearly hasn't done his research as Racing had won 3 matches in the previous 2 seasons, not 1 in the history of the cup as he says in the 1st paragraph. Isn't he paid to know this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Problem is I suspect he hasnt even seen Stringer play in about 3 years, so thats what he's basing his opinions about him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Isn't he paid to know this stuff?

He's paid to troll.

I just don't get it though. Anyone with eyes could see that O'Gara was done in the Aviva last week. He's at best 5th in the Ireland pecking order, and falling fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ah heeeeyyore leave it out

What about poor Luke Fitzgerald?

Completely forgot about him...Hard to believe he's still so young.
    bilston wrote: »
    I worry about the second row, yes there's Henderson but Nagle hasn't made the progress you'd have hoped by now, likewise Foley. I'm certainly not discounting, heck they play for Munster so the chances are they'll be introduced more slowly than they would at Leinster or Ulster but we need one of them to really shine.

Generally speaking I think we'll have more depth going forward than we have done in the past but I'm not sure I see an outside back like O'Driscoll or Hickie with the ability to create something out of absolutely nothing that has helped spark us in the past. We've a lot of very good backs but I don't know that any of them will be world class. I mean having seen a bit of this French kid Fickou do we have anyone with his game breaking ability coming through? I'd like to see a bit more of Robbie Henshaw at Connacht and Peter Nelson at Ulster as they may have a bit of X Factor about them but they've a long way to go.

I think 2nd rows often take longer than others to come through...or well that's what I gathered when trying to make that team. Nagle and Foley were almost defaults though, I haven't really seen enough of young 2nd rows in other provinces. It does seem to be a position where experience is key.

And I don't know, we're not going to get another O'Driscoll but Earls can create stuff, Marshall has shown great ability...and then there's Madigan at out-half, who could end up playing 12 if Jackson really comes on at 10.

Robin Copeland can play in the row. He's another one to keep in mind. He's certainly ahead of Nagle at the moment.

Ryan Caldwell. If he carries on his form of last season could you imagine a few years down the line a partnership of him and Henderson.

shuffol wrote: »
    Ryan Caldwell. If he carries on his form of last season could you imagine a few years down the line a partnership of him and Henderson.

He's 28 though, so wouldn't fit this theoretical under-25 team!

He's 28 though, so wouldn't fit this theoretical under-25 team!

Oh yeah forgot, thats a shame, he's a good player, could've been useful in a few years, blasted politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Careful Now

Felix Jones 25 and has bright future if he can steer clear of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Mr. Hook wrote:
    If Penney has any hope of reaching the knockout stages, he must hope for a fit O'Gara. Indeed, Ireland and Munster need to extend his contract as, based on the opening round of the competition, there is only one alternative to Jonny Sexton. The same deal might be offered to Stringer.

troll.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

If Penney has any hope of reaching the knockout stages, he must hope for a fit O'Gara. Indeed, Ireland and Munster need to extend his contract as, based on the opening round of the competition, there is only one alternative to Jonny Sexton. The same deal might be offered to Stringer.

It's actually scary how someone can get paid to give such an uninformed and frankly, mad opinion.

Madigan, Keatley, Jackson. 3 better alternatives than ROG to Sexton. Just off the top of my head

And the sad thing is that people actually listen to Hook's ****e. I give it a week before we get someone calling for Stringer and ROG combo for Ireland on here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

shuffol wrote: »

Oh yeah forgot, thats a shame, he's a good player, could've been useful in a few years, blasted politics.

Nothing to do politics more to do with his poor discipline. It will be interesting to see what happens next season. Assuming he is on a 2 year deal his contract negotiations will coincide with Muller's likely departure from Ulster. Having said that Leinster may be a better fit and may have more need for him. If he comes back to Ireland he may come into the reckoning.

bilston wrote: »
    Nothing to do politics more to do with his poor discipline. It will be interesting to see what happens next season. Assuming he is on a 2 year deal his contract negotiations will coincide with Muller's likely departure from Ulster. Having said that Leinster may be a better fit and may have more need for him. If he comes back to Ireland he may come into the reckoning.

The politics thing was a reference to the fact he's over 25. His discipline was much improved last season and if he has another season like that I'm sure there'll be no shortage of takers if he chooses to return. If he ended up at Ulster their locks could be Tuohy, Caldwell, Henderson, Stevenson, unreal depth. I can see Leinster trying to tempt Stevenson south next season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    It's actually scary how someone can get paid to give such an uninformed and frankly, mad opinion.

Madigan, Keatley, Jackson. 3 better alternatives than ROG to Sexton. Just off the top of my head

And the sad thing is that people actually listen to Hook's ****e. I give it a week before we get someone calling for Stringer and ROG combo for Ireland on here

:D

Thought Foley looked reasonably fit at the weekend, maybe get him back at no, 8, shur Heaslip is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Anyone know who's going to be televising these match's? I presume RTE have the rights but is the Fiji one included in that?

In terms of selecting a team for the Fiji game, i'd personally give Stevenson a start in the 2nd row (alongside Toner) with Henderson on the bench or else at 6. He's played very well so far this season imo. However i don't think Kidney knows he exists...
    I'm a bit puzzled as to who should start in the backrow against Fiji also. I suppose it's a matter of whether it's really a wolfhound game or not. Surely we'll have to start at least one of Henry/POM and McLaughlin. However any one of them could end up starting against SA either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

If we lose to Fiji can we drop in the ranks ? If we can then it wont be a wolfhound game and I'd expect a strong squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Scioch wrote: »
    If we lose to Fiji can we drop in the ranks ? If we can then it wont be a wolfhound game and I'd expect a strong squad.

Pretty sure it's an uncapped game and won't affect the rankings!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh it's an Ireland 'XV' so no caps... Just as well really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Could be a useful game for the likes of Earls and O'Brien to make comebacks in before playing against Argentina, assuming they are out of the SA match.

Something like: Dave Kearney, Gilroy, Earls, Marshall, Zebo, Madigan, Marshall, Buckley, Strauss, Fitzpatrick, Tuohy, Toner, Henderson, O'Brien, O'Mahony.

Happy it's non capped if it means international exposure for the likes of Buckley, Henderson and Luke Marshall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I am not necessarily a fan of O'Gara and co. But I would warn about getting rid of all experienced hands. John Mitchell in his wisdom left Mehrtens & Cullen out of his 2003 RWC squad, and refused to pick Umaga even after he recovered from his knee injury. Maybe Carlos Spencer & Mils Muliania were playing better than the old dogs...but on a long night for NZ at stadium Australia, bringing a bit of experience off the bench was sorely missed. Ditto in 2007 when Dougie Howlett & Aaron Mauger were in their Sunday Best in the stands, while Isaia "wunderkind" Toeava did his best impression of a possum in the headlights.

Not for 1 minute saying O'Gara should be picked, but a mix of young & old is always prudent IMHO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement