Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

The future for Cronin in an Ireland jersey is looking bleak.

Assuming Best has another 2-3 years at his peak, and Strauss and Cronin both hitting what's traditionally a player's best years around the end of that period, I can see Cronin struggling to make future six nations squads or even wolfhound squads where up and coming players will hopefully be favored.

If he can't make the Leinster 2 shirt his own in the next few years I can't see him getting past 30 irish caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

Just had a look on ticketmaster, the south africa game finally looks like it is almost sold out. Maybe less than 200 seats left. I can never get tickets for 6 Nations games so i picked up a couple in the upper tier, but it was a struggle to pay up after the 60-0 drubbing and the complete pants they played against Engalnd in the AIs last year (last Ireland game i was at).

eh, looks like plenty of tickets left for the argies.

how long is left on the kidney clock now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

chris_d wrote: »
    Just had a look on ticketmaster, the south africa game finally looks like it is almost sold out. Maybe less than 200 seats left. I can never get tickets for 6 Nations games so i picked up a couple in the upper tier, but it was a struggle to pay up after the 60-0 drubbing and the complete pants they played against Engalnd in the AIs last year (last Ireland game i was at).

eh, looks like plenty of tickets left for the argies.

how long is left on the kidney clock now?

217 days, 10 hours,25 mins, 30...29...28..27...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Quint2010 wrote: »
    217 days, 10 hours,25 mins, 30...29...28..27...

217 days!? Man I'm not gonna last 217 hours! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

If it makes you feel any better, there are only 8 more matches of Kidneyball to be endured (assuming he doesn't get an extension!).
    The future for Cronin in an Ireland jersey is looking bleak.

Assuming Best has another 2-3 years at his peak, and Strauss and Cronin both hitting what's traditionally a player's best years around the end of that period, I can see Cronin struggling to make future six nations squads or even wolfhound squads where up and coming players will hopefully be favored.

If he can't make the Leinster 2 shirt his own in the next few years I can't see him getting past 30 irish caps.
    Except once Best retires Cronin and Strauss will likely be the two hookers used most regularly for the national team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Its crazy how so may posters are promoting Henderson for Irish squad inclusion after 4 games at senior level for Ulster, yet there are exclamations of bias when players like Zebo and POM are included after great HEC runs.

Nonsense, all Zebo showed last year was that he could run straight and fast. I would have him in the squad on his showing so far this year though. Shown a great improvement in his handling & general awareness. Still a question over his defence.

I wouldn't have Henderson in the squad yet, maybe in an extended training squad so he gets a feel for the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I would like to see something like, as unlikely as it might be:

Buckley, Strauss, Loughney, Tuohy, Toner, McLaughlin, Henry, POM;
    Marshall, Jackson, Zebo, McFadden, Cave, Gilroy, Morris

Cronin, Kilcoyne, Hagan, Stevenson, Henderson, Marmion, Madigan, Griffin

Although I expect it'll be much more familiar than that

I like McFadden as a 12 option (more than anywhere else) but I'd prefer to see Marshall getting a shot in a game like this.

And I'd start Henderson over Tuohy, because I think that's the kind of thing we should be doing for this match, Tuohy has played against NZ.

And I wouldn't have Cronin benching for this and the senior game personally, I'd have Sherry tbh.

But...I suppose what I want is completely irrevelant, no doubt we'll see a very conservative selection.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I like McFadden as a 12 option (more than anywhere else) but I'd prefer to see Marshall getting a shot in a game like this.

And I'd start Henderson over Tuohy, because I think that's the kind of thing we should be doing for this match, Tuohy has played against NZ.

And I wouldn't have Cronin benching for this and the senior game personally, I'd have Sherry tbh.

But...I suppose what I want is completely irrevelant, no doubt we'll see a very conservative selection.

So you would have Sherry ahead of Strauss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Strauss would be starting.

Well...personally, I'm against Strauss (or any NIQ) playing for Ireland. That's just my opinion though, it's a discussion we've had plenty of times before...

I forgot about that tbh. But even still, I might have Cronin benching against SA ahead of Strauss and Sherry on the bench for the Wolfhounds.

• Advertisement

At the moment I see the hooker situation as Best, Strauss, Cronin, Sherry, Varley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ROG seemingly may not be fit for the AIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

danthefan wrote: »

That could make things interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

danthefan wrote: »

according to "MunsterMicko" on the Indo comments section the AIs going to be a disaster without ROG.

"If ROG is out of the AIs then it is a disastar for Ireland. Sexton has had enough chances already and has come up way short. Intrenatal level is a step to far for the ladyboy. Thats not personel, very few of the dubs can cut it at the top level, thats why we are losing so many games these days. The golden generation of wally,horan,hayes,flanery,Wood,galway,Leamy,dowling ect,ect is gone, and look what we are left with, god help us! I feel sorry for Declan, he has been delt a very poor hand."

seems Hugh is staying alive and well by the looks of it.

leftleg wrote: »
    according to "MunsterMIcko" on the Indo comments section its going to be a disaster witout ROG.

"If ROG is out of the AIs then it is a disastar for Ireland. Sexton has had enough chances already and has come up way short. Intrenatal level is a step to far for the ladyboy. Thats not personel, very few of the dubs can cut it at the top level, thats why we are losing so many games these days. The golden generation of wally,horan,hayes,flanery,Wood,galway,Leamy,dowling ect,ect is gone, and look what we are left with, god help us! I feel sorry for Declan, he has been delt a very poor hand."

Intrenatal level?:D God-are there really still Munster fans THAT bitter out there?...

But realistically, who do people think will bench for Ireland if ROG does miss out?

Keatley, Madigan, Jackson are all decent candidates.

Jackson has been in great form this season, repaying the faith shown in him by Ulster.

Keatley had been doing well but was playing at 15 the last couple of games and he never really got going against Racing once moved to out-half. But he started for the Wolfhounds last year.

Madigan was ahead of both of them at the end of last season imo, he had a great season, offers an excellent running threat. Questions over his game management ability still.

Of course...there's always the chance that Wallace will end up benching for 10 :(

Intrenatal level?:D God-are there really still Munster fans THAT bitter out there?...

I would say there is at least a 90% chance that "MunsterMicko" is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I would say there is at least a 90% chance that "MunsterMicko" is taking the piss.

I've seen him a few times, he's a blatant troll

Jackson for the bench spot.

He's a 10 in the mould that Kidney would actually approve of. I think I and most Ulster supporters would prefer that Jackson was left alone to develop at Ulster for the next 8-12 months though!

Tox56 wrote: »
    I've seen him a few times, he's a blatant troll

ive giggled at his clearly trolling comments numerous times to the point where i actually believe he is a Leinster supporter in disguise or worse an Indo worker or group of workers at large

• Advertisement

He's a 10 in the mould that Kidney would actually approve of. I think I and most Ulster supporters would prefer that Jackson was left alone to develop at Ulster for the next 8-12 months though!

Well at least they have Pienaar back so they can play him if Jackson misses games due to Ireland squads, they don't have to play you know who...

If Keatley starts missing league games, that means Hanrahan will have to be played (not a bad thing in itself).

And Leinster without Madigan and Sexton...when is Goodman coming over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

ive giggles at his clearly trolling commenst numerous times to the point where i actually believe he is a Leinster supporter in disguise or worse an Indo worker or group of workers at large
    It's an obvious urine extraction account, yet it still manages to get people hot under the collar. I'm just waiting for him to start shouting "4 more years" for Deccie & watch some of the contributors explode ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd say it'll end up being irrelevant who is benching at 10. Sexton will just play 80 minutes if it's one of the young'uns!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

according to "MunsterMicko" on the Indo comments section the AIs going to be a disaster without ROG.

His spelling has improved though.
    ive giggled at his clearly trolling comments numerous times to the point where i actually believe he is a Leinster supporter in disguise or worse an Indo worker or group of workers at large

It's actually Declan 'I know how to fix it' Kidney trying to drum up support.:D

jacothelad wrote: »
    His spelling has improved though.

It's actually Declan 'I know how to fix it' Kidney trying to drum up support.:D

more like Declan "jim'll fix it" Kidney!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Well at least they have Pienaar back so they can play him if Jackson misses games due to Ireland squads

I think the concern would be more that Kidney would wreck Jackson, rather than that he'd be missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

At the moment I see the hooker situation as Best, Strauss, Cronin, Sherry, Varley.
    I think most people would see it that way, with the additional note that there is a significant drop off after Cronin.
    This seems quite likely given Jackson is the only one of the three candidates that is definitely first choice at their club. He's also the youngest so there should be more room for improvement, not that the others are all that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Was listening to the radio and guys talking about Trap and why he had to go, not picking in form players, showing too much loality to old faces, not using new talent and out dated tactics... no interest in the footy at all but couldn't help but think these are exactly the radio reasons why DK must go ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Was listening to the radio and guys talking about Trap and why he had to go, not picking in form players, showing too much loality to old faces, not using new talent and out dated tactics... no interest in the footy at all but couldn't help but think these are exactly the radio reasons why DK must go ASAP.

They were both pretty much the same in that regard, except Trap was getting result and the team was well more than the sum of its parts. He stops getting results and has to leave after a particularly bad one. Why this doesn't apply to Deccie baffles me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

tolosenc wrote: »
    They were both pretty much the same in that regard, except Trap was getting result and the team was well more than the sum of its parts. He stops getting results and has to leave after a particularly bad one. Why this doesn't apply to Deccie baffles me.

I reckon Trap and Kidney should swap jobs, they can't do much worse than at moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement