Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Indo reporting ROG will be fit for the AIs:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/kidney-boost-as-ogara-set-to-return-from-injury-in-time-for-springboks-3262225.html
    The Indo wrote:
    the Corkman looks set to give Declan Kidney a boost by recovering in time for the visit of South Africa

I'm sure it will give Kidney a boost; the rest of us will emit an exasperated groan as the possibility of any sort of squad development recedes to be replaced by the grim spectre of the best out-half in Europe playing the last 20 minutes of the game at inside-centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Lads does anyone know the scenario by which we'll drop down into the 3rd group of seeds for the World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

shuffol wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know the scenario by which we'll drop down into the 3rd group of seeds for the World Cup?

yes i know the scenario; DK gets a new contract; crap results

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Most likely it would take us losing to Argentina and South Africa and Scotland beating NZ or SA

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Most likely it would take us losing to Argentina and South Africa and Scotland beating NZ or SA

Three of the above are frighteningly grim possibilities. =S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

So lose to South Africa and the Fiji game could become more about giving game time to squad members rather than looking to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think we'll win both of our games to be honest. I don't think there is anyone in world rugby at the moment to fear other than NZ. SA are better than us but not by so much that we shouldn't beat them at home and we're just better than Argentina. Frankly anything other than 2 wins will be a very poor return.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

What does everyone think of a backrow of Henderson-Ferris-Heaslip? I reckon on current form Henderson is playing better than POM. Both are young so maybe its time to give Henderson a go. Theres also McLaughlin but maybe its time to give youth a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Higher wrote: »
    What does everyone think of a backrow of Henderson-Ferris-Heaslip? I reckon on current form Henderson is playing better than POM. Both are young so maybe its time to give Henderson a go. Theres also McLaughlin but maybe its time to give youth a chance.

Henderson should bench for the Fiji game

He's far too green for a test cap yet

Can Henderson play at 7? Agree that he's in better form than POM but if you're suggesting moving Ferris away from 6, it's a non-runner.

Also, Kev McLaughlin is only 28; I would think the main criteria for inclusion/exclusion on grounds of age would be availability for the next World Cup, and McLaughlin definitely ticks that box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So lose to South Africa and the Fiji game could become more about giving game time to squad members rather than looking to the future.

You can be sure that was discussed as a reason for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Not a balanced unit tho unfortunately. I can't see Henderson playing except against Fiji. I personally wan't him to be in the 2nd row rather than at 6!
    It's stupid having the SA game before the Fiji game imo. It's another reason for Kidney to be extra conservative.

Hopefully it'll be Ferris - Henry - Heaslip against SA. It'd be madness for Kidney to start POM at 7 given he hasn't played there for a while (and Henry is far superior). However, i'm still expecting Kidney to pick him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

+1 on Henderson being utilized in the 2nd row. I can see why he's being played at 6 for Ulster, but Ireland are extremely tight on young 2nd rows.....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I also have a worrying feeling that SOB will be thrown into one of these matches not 100% and feck up his rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Of the current back row contenders, who would best fill in a No. 8 if Heaslip was out injured?

SOB would be my pick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

really hope Henderson's future is in the 2nd row
    very exciting player though- he is better every time i see him play

as for our fullback crisis:
    Robbie Henshaw* :pac:

*tongue in cheek- his time will come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Blackheath wrote: »
    Of the current back row contenders, who would best fill in a No. 8 if Heaslip was out injured?

SOB would be my pick

Should be SOB, would be (and was) POM. He simply doesn't have the power and experience/control to play there.

If he was 5 years younger, James Coughlan hands down. No fuss and does the job of an 8 efficiently and effectively. Will be interesting to see how Wilson gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If we were picking on form then Marmion would have to be part of the squad for the AIs.

I've been really impressed with his form for Connacht. He and Reddan have been our best scrumhalves by miles.

If we were picking on form then Marmion would have to be part of the squad for the AIs.

I've been really impressed with his form for Connacht. He and Reddan have been our best scrumhalves by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Clegg wrote: »

That's a bit harsh on Marshall.

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh on Marshall.
    I can't go for Marshall when he isn't a guaranteed starter at Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can't pick Marshall when he isn't a guaranteed starter at Ulster.

Nonsense! Paul Marshall is an expert at influencing games from the bench for Ulster. Why not use that skillset for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I think he would be an ideal choice for the bench. If he continues to come off the bench and make an impact for Ulster there's no reason he can't be picked to do the same for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nonsense! Paul Marshall is an expert at influencing games from the bench for Ulster. Why not use that skillset for Ireland?

Sorry, what, you mean use the bench for impact? At international level? For Gods sake bucs, it's a 15 man game. Come on! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Hardly a useful measure given his competition isn't Irish and was the best scrum half in Europe last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He mightn't be everyone's cup of tea but I always listen to what Tony Ward has to say as he's usually fair and balanced.

He'd a good article in the Independent yesterday about the National team:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/tony-ward-crunch-weekend-as-kidney-weighs-up-his-options-3265699.html

Heaslip has been on some run of form since he made his first appearance of the season.

His work at the breakdown has been sensational. He's stepped up in the absence of O'Brien and is playing superbly.

It's encouraging to see him playing so well after the undeserved criticism he received last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He mightn't be everyone's cup of tea but I always listen to what Tony Ward has to say as he's usually fair and balanced.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/tony-ward-crunch-weekend-as-kidney-weighs-up-his-options-3265699.html

Oh my God, I hope for all our sakes he's not in the know as I would hate to see another spin of the same old bottle
    In bad need of an urgent refreshing with a lot if new blood, IMHO.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Tony is deluding himself if he thinks Reddan will be picked ahead of Murray, regardless of how badly the latter is playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Tony is deluding himself if he thinks Reddan will be picked ahead of Murray, regardless of how badly the latter is playing.

Wards team is:

15 Kearney
    14 Bowe
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 D'Arcy
    11 Zebo (assuming Earls isn't available)
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan
    1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 Ryan
    5 O'Connell
    6 Ferris
    7 O'Mahony (assuming SOB isn't available)
    8 Heaslip

The only position I disagree about is O/S where surely Chris Henry would simply HAVE to start?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement