Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kidney would have to be particularly dull not to have learned his lesson about ignoring Chris Henry at openside. He's an easy choice.

Will we see an international squad today?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Will we see an international squad today?

More likely Tuesday or Wednesday I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Kidney would have to be particularly dull not to have learned his lesson about ignoring Chris Henry at openside. He's an easy choice.

He's been in outstanding form since his return. Should be starting I agree.

bilston wrote: »
    More likely Tuesday or Wednesday I think

Seems it was a Tuesday in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Clegg wrote: »
    It's encouraging to see him playing so well after the undeserved criticism he received last season.

He has been getting undeserved criticism for 2+ seasons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wards team is:

15 Kearney
    14 Bowe
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 D'Arcy
    11 Zebo (assuming Earls isn't available)
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan
    1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 Ryan
    5 O'Connell
    6 Ferris
    7 O'Mahony (assuming SOB isn't available)
    8 Heaslip

The only position I disagree about is O/S where surely Chris Henry would simply HAVE to start?

+1

I think most here would agree. But whether we actually see it happen is another thing. Take out Reddan and put in Murray and you have what Deccie will select I reckon.

It's a poor price that lumps all the responsibility for the 60-0 defeat on the players really. If they are not embarrassed about it then they should leave. But the same doesn't appear to be true of the coaching staff. I am so sick of these double standards. And I'm so sick of seeing the players continually questioned, be it individually or collectively, while their head coach remains untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Given that O'Mahony has been playing 8 so far this season (and not very well either), combined with the fact that Henry and indeed Ulster are playing so well, there really is no excuse for Kidney not to start Henry at 7...

Lets hope he takes off his rose tinted glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Wards team is:

15 Kearney
    14 Bowe
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 D'Arcy
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan
    1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 Ryan
    5 O'Connell
    6 Ferris
    7 O'Mahony (assuming SOB isn't available)
    8 Heaslip

That's a decent team however I would make a couple of changes.

15 Kearney
    14 Bowe
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 D'Arcy
    10 Sexton
    9 P.Marshall
    1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 Ryan
    5 O'Connell
    6 Ferris (Henderson if Ferris isn't available)
    7 Henry (assuming SOB isn't available)
    8 Heaslip

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If ROG is fit then he'll play.

Doesn't matter if that he's been crap for years.

He'll play so long as Kidney is the coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Team for Ireland XV vs Fiji

I dont know the upcoming front rows, help me out xD

15. Jones
    14. Gilroy
    13. Cave
    12. McSharry
    11. Zebo/O'Halloran
    10. Keatly
    9. Marshall

1. Kilkoyne
    2. Cronin/Sherry
    4. Touhy
    5. Toner
    6. Henderson
    7. Henry
    8. Butler

16. Sherry/... Varley?
    19. McCarthy
    20. McLaughlin
    21. Boss
    22. Jackson/Madigan
    23. ... Theres too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd have Henshaw over Jones, Jones has not done anything (yet) to merit selection. We need to take a more proactive attitude in throwing in youngsters, both Wales & Australia have produced top class players from backing their young talent.

Jackson should be ahead of Keatley in the pecking order, I'd have him on the bench for SA and then start the Fiji game.

There's not much tightheads going around, we're really going to be stretched since 23 man squads are being trialled. The only Irish starting tighthead is Mike Ross, the best options after him are Loughney and Fitzpatrick (injured last I read).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

There's also Andress, who's been starting regularly for Worcester. I would hope that Henry would be starting (or at least involved) for the senior team so we'd need a different 7; similarly depending on Earls fitness Zebo could be involved also. Personally I'd have Marshall on the bench for the seniors and would start Marmion in this game (for a similar reason to Henshaw). Won't happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Deano7788 wrote: »
    There's also Andress, who's been starting regularly for Worcester. I would hope that Henry would be starting (or at least involved) for the senior team so we'd need a different 7; similarly depending on Earls fitness Zebo could be involved also. Personally I'd have Marshall on the bench for the seniors and would start Marmion in this game (for a similar reason to Henshaw). Won't happen though

Is Andress that good? There's a lot of mention of him on this forum. I've never seen him.

He couldn't get a game for Exeter last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Deano7788 wrote: »

I dont think inclusion with the Ireland Senior side will exculde exclusion with the Ireland IV, thats why I have put Zebo, Keatley, Henry, Jones, Cronin into this team as they are likely IMO to get senior calls ups due to injuries but need as much international game time as possible aswell.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    I dont think inclusion with the Ireland Senior side will exculde exclusion with the Ireland IV, thats why I have put Zebo, Keatley, Henry, Jones, Cronin into this team as they are likely IMO to get senior calls ups due to injuries but need as much international game time as possible aswell.

True but I'd rather see other players get a chance. This is a brilliant opportunity to look at different options so why pass it up. Without SOB I'd have Henry starting both test matches, so I'd keep him out of this match especially, whatever about the others. Also, I'd say it's almost guaranteed that Strauss will be involved in this game in some form. I actually think that Jackson should be ahead of Keatley on form; similarly Henshaw is more deserving than Jones, while Marmion deserves at least a chance from the bench. What are we going to learn by having Boss on the bench?

Is Andress that good? There's a lot of mention of him on this forum. I've never seen him.

He's ok; not a world beater but solid enough. The only reason I mentioned him is he's one of the few tightheads starting regularly. I'd rather have something like Hagan or Loughney starting, with either the other or Moore on the bench. Fiji aren't the most destructive forces in the scrum.

Also, I think Buckley (Denis, not Tony) deserves a look at loosehead, possibly even ahead of Kilcoyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Don't play with the sound on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IELf9RGc79s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

After the weekend does mcsharry not deserve a call up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

gally74 wrote: »
    I personally think he could feature for Ireland XV against Fiji

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Didn't see the Connacht game but heard he played well. Why not? We need new options at 12. I'm pretty sure D'Arcy has the shirt for SA but someone new should be tried against Fiji.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Form 12 imo. Very impressed with him against Quins, and against Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

I personally think he could feature for Ireland XV against Fiji
    Yes he does, he is our on form inside centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

It would be a high reward for him after coming to conn from Mary's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

D'Arcy has been in some great form too, but I agree, try him in the Fiji game and see what he's made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

It would be a high reward for him after coming to conn from Mary's
    Its not a question of where he came from but more of a question how far can he go

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

According to @irfurugby on Twitter, the squad announcement will be on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Let's not forget Luke Marshall too!

McSharry has the advantage of starting every week tho i suppose. I just think Marshall has a bit extra to his game. He's the future 12 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Defo think Luke Marshall is the key to Ireland's IC future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Let's not forget Luke Marshall too!

McSharry has the advantage of starting every week tho i suppose. I just think Marshall has a bit extra to his game. He's the future 12 imo

I'd agree Marshall probably has more potential, very exciting player. But hard to start someone who's behind another Irish player at their province.

Wallace, D'Arcy, Downey, McFadden, McSharry, Marshall.....none are bad players...but none are great either. 3 are aging, 2 aren't certain starters...McSharry is the leftover. I think he's in great form and I'd give him a go against Fiji.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement