Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The Grand Slam was a great achievement but Kidney's reign has run its course. Only extremely successful international coaches like Gatland, Woodward and Henry have had long tenures. The rest haven't lasted too long.

Would Kidney come under "extremely successful"? Nope.

If the AIs struggle to get bums on seats, there will be action for change. It's not the nicest thing to say, but the greatest power supporters have is to boycott matches and hurt the IRFU where it hurts most.

A few question marks over Henry getting a 2nd contract after the 2007 world cup, not to mention his failure with the Lions and Wales.

Woodward was fairly lucky to get another contract after the 1999 world cup defeat to SA. He also had a few humiliating defeats before they cracked in on his 2nd contract.

Gatland brought Wales from GS winners to wooden spoon contenders in his first 12 months as coach. Most Welsh fans were disgusted that he got a 2nd contract. (by the way, Wales have yet to beat NZ, SA or Australia with him as coach).

You will only hurt the provinces with a boycott (who will get less money from the IRFU). Sexton's contract is up for renewal at the end of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Healy, Best, Ross, Tuohy, POC, Ferris, Henry, Heaslip;
    Reddan, Sexton, Zebo, D'Arcy, BOD, Bowe, Earls

Bench: Cronin, Kilcoyne, Loughney, Ryan, POM, Murray, Jackson, McFadden/Trimble

If Healy got injured tomorrow (touchwood!), I would start Court.

I think that's a pretty good team. I fret over having D'Arcy at 12, but there are really no other options except McSharry and that is not even remotely likely to happen with Kidney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jm08 wrote: »
    You will only hurt the provinces with a boycott (who will get less money from the IRFU). Sexton's contract is up for renewal at the end of the season.

I'd rather Sexton and Kidney left then neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Everyone is talking like Earls will be fit for the SA game, has this been confirmed?

A few question marks over Henry getting a 2nd contract after the 2007 world cup, not to mention his failure with the Lions and Wales.

Woodward was fairly lucky to get another contract after the 1999 world cup defeat to SA. He also had a few humiliating defeats before they cracked in on his 2nd contract.

Gatland brought Wales from GS winners to wooden spoon contenders in his first 12 months as coach. Most Welsh fans were disgusted that he got a 2nd contract. (by the way, Wales have yet to beat NZ, SA or Australia with him as coach).

Gas. A bunch of random statements with no coherent logic or conclusion. Time well spent sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

IMO it's a season to early for Henderson and Henshaw. Great talents of course but they only have a handful of Rabo hands between them and there are certainly better options than the two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Marion and henshaw to be included

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Earls can't make it we will start to have trouble.

Kidney will pick Hurley I'd imagine and he's probably the safest choice. Other options would be guys like Henshaw or Madigan who aren't particularly complete full backs. The other option of course is to bring Niall Morris over from Leicester, and I'd say he's the best option personally, but you have to really excel if you want to be considered while playing abroad these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Nice of you to completely ignore the points raised and result to insults.

Please explain my "blind kidney faith" (Sic)? As far as I was aware, I've been calling for a new coach for a while now. Just because I don't lower myself to actively hating Kidney doesn't change that.

Currently, we badly need some fresh ideas and new coaches, but if Kidney was to guide us to success over the next season, he deserves as good a shot as anyone else of being our next coach..
    leftleg wrote: »
    Wht would i hate DK. He had a game plan that worked for a while and then failed miserably. You however seem quite happy to give him another shot when its clear we need a new coach and FRESHER ideas.

You call people pathetic for asking for him to resign before the upcoming games and have just admitted that success this season would paper over 3 years of awful turgid game play and rotten results.

That's your blind Kidney faith.

Where is these "insults" you mentioned. I have questioned the posts not the posters.

I don't agree with the Captain much, but are you reading the same posts I am?

"You however seem quite happy to give him another shot when its clear we need a new coach and FRESHER ideas..."
    "Currently, we badly need some fresh ideas and new coaches..."

"have just admitted that success this season would paper over 3 years of awful turgid game play and rotten results..."
    "if Kidney was to guide us to success over the next season, he deserves as good a shot as anyone else of being our next coach..."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

If Earls can't make it we will start to have trouble.

Kidney will pick Hurley I'd imagine and he's probably the safest choice. Other options would be guys like Henshaw or Madigan who aren't particularly complete full backs. The other option of course is to bring Niall Morris over from Leicester, and I'd say he's the best option personally, but you have to really excel if you want to be considered while playing abroad these days.

Isn't Morris playing on the wing for Leicester?

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Isn't Morris playing on the wing for Leicester?

He's played 15 and 14 this season. Played 15 last season as well. He's a 15 more than he's a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Otacon wrote: »

I don't agree with the Captain much, but are you reading the same posts I am?

"You however seem quite happy to give him another shot when its clear we need a new coach and FRESHER ideas..."
    "Currently, we badly need some fresh ideas and new coaches..."

"have just admitted that success this season would paper over 3 years of awful turgid game play and rotten results..."
    "if Kidney was to guide us to success over the next season, he deserves as good a shot as anyone else of being our next coach..."

Yes basically a grand slam this year and all is forgotten. Awful stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Everyone else ready for a incredibly disappointing squad announcement?

Leopards do not change their spots. Kidney is not going to embrace the modern game.

"Give him a chance to prove you wrong"

Is something I've heard and seen countless times in the last 3 years.

He's done. Even proposing that he be in the mix for the Head Coach position when his contract is up is bafffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

goreyguy wrote: »
    Everyone else ready for a incredibly disappointing squad announcement?

After reading GT this morning, I'm ready for a disappointment.

Same old sh*t.

Example:

"Jennings, despite incredible form of late, may be unlucky not to get selected this time"

Translation: "Deccie has always hated Jennings so why change the habit of a lifetime"

Rinse and repeat.

Gas. A bunch of random statements with no coherent logic or conclusion. Time well spent sir.

They have if you had read the post they responded to !

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

wouldn't mind jennings missing out, players over 30 have to be questionable choices over younger players especially during the November internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

leftleg wrote: »
    Yes basically a grand slam this year and all is forgotten. Awful stuff altogether.

71b14a93_jackie-chan-meme_thumb7.png

Read the post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

After reading GT this morning, I'm ready for a disappointment.

Same old sh*t.

Example:

"Jennings, despite incredible form of late, may be unlucky not to get selected this time"

Translation: "Deccie has always hated Jennings so why change the habit of a lifetime"

Rinse and repeat.

There isn't much use in involving Jennings anyway. He's a good club player for Leinster, but he has never performed on the international stage when given a shot. I'd much prefer a younger player to be given the shot. Henry first choice for the 7 jersey and Dougal to fill Jennings' spot against Figi.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

There isn't much use in involving Jennings anyway. He's a good club player for Leinster, but he has never performed on the international stage when given a shot. I'd much prefer a younger player to be given the shot. Henry first choice for the 7 jersey and Dougal to fill Jennings' spot against Figi.

Jennings used as an example to be fair.

More of a point about GT trundling out the same old garbage.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd rather Sexton and Kidney left then neither.

How about Mike Ross - his contract is up at the end of the season as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

that's fair enough, as long as this logic is applied to all selections. Unfortunatly i can see DOC, Darcy & Hurley being selected ahead of brighter younger talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

After todays team announcement I expect the 24 of October to go down in History as the day the...

..the digital switch over happened everything else including the Ireland team selection stayed the same:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    What are yee on about? I found the scotland game recorded on my UPC at the weekend and watched it back. We hammered them!!

Also wprathead, we drew with France, lost to England

Must have been 2010 Scotland beat us so!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Must have been 2010 Scotland beat us so!

No sorry i was thinking of 2012!! :o

Scotland beat us in 2010. To deny the Triple Crown (remember those?).

In 2011 we won thanks to a ROG try, he steamrolled Al Kellock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I wonder how Kidney will troll us this time. My money is on a TOL and Mushy call up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I wonder how Kidney will troll us this time. My money is on a TOL and Mushy call up

A team from just Ulster and Connacht.

How about Mike Ross - his contract is up at the end of the season as well.

The only genuinely irreplaceable member of the squad? Yep, I'd say they're drafting his p45 as we speak.

• Advertisement

ssaye wrote: »
    A team from just Ulster and Connacht.

Don't think that'd be too bad considering Leinster's injuries woe and Munster's 'established changing of the guard'!

Really think there could well be 4/5 Connacht lads in a match day 23 for the Fiji game if we had anyone bar Kidders at the helm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement