Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Has he?

I really don't get the change. We have an excellent defence coach in Less Kiss. When he was focused soley on defence Ireland were incredibly hard to break down. He moves to attack coach which he has next to no experience.

Foley is forwards coach with Munster but will be defence coach with Ireland. Again very little experience (he's been coaching for 1/2 years now?)

They really are very odd selections. Most international teams pick coaches with a proven track record....

Foley has been Munster's defense coach for the last three seasons and forward's coach for the last two. He already experience coaching in the Irish setup and with the wolfhounds. If a permanent appointment is not going to be named, including Foley is the best decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

bilston wrote: »
    Some good and some bad in the squad. Disapointed that there is no alternative out half, but pleased that he's looking to the future in the midfield with the selection of Luke Marshall. He said as much too, on form he could have picked Wallace or Downey but he's actively looking to the future with Marshall so credit where it's due there. McSharry can count himself a little unlucky.

I've just figured out what the Kidder is up to. Luke Marshall is going to be the new Paddy Wallace. He's our 3rd choice 10!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Kidney said there'll likely be a prop and full back joining the squad.

i wonder will Archer start this weekend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    And There will be more added to the squad for the Fiji game
    I don't think there'll be that many based on what he said. He said it'll be used for giving guys match time ahead of Argentina and looking at combinations. He mentioned looking at new guys but didn't seem to indicate it was a priority at all. I think the "new guys" will be the likes of Henderson and Marshall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Hagz wrote: »
    The first time we are going to be allowed to have 23 man squads and Kidney doesn't bring another TH? I hope he doesn't expect Court to be 18, not after what happened in Twickenham.

EDIT: Woah! No Sean Cronin. That won't please some people on here.

In fairness, Best and Strauss deserve it over the last two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Ah for **** sake. Whats the point in trying out 23 man squads when he only includes one tighthead in the squad. :mad: So we'll be seeing court at tighthead again. ****ing great. No Jackson, no Madigan, no Keatley, no Paul Marshall, no Toner, no Stevenson, no McSharry, no Henshaw.

It's rediculous that a wolfhounds team has to be made from that squad aswell but theres only one tighthead and only 4 uncapped players. What a joke.

And ROG rides in on the munster train too.

pretty much my thoughts.

What will it take for DOC and ROG to be omitted? Its even time for Darcy to be omitted and faith be placed in McSharry/Marshall/McFadden.
    Marshall, Jackson, Cronin glaring omissions - we will use 3 hookers over the 3 games.
    Madigan, Keatley can consider themselves unlucky.
    McSharry, Stevenson, Tonar, Henshaw would all have been considered by a logical coach.

Great to see Henderson involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's not a terrible squad at all.

Obviously ROG over Jackson/Madigan/Keatley is the main point of complaint, which is fair enough.

If a prop and full-back are to be called up, that's fair enough. And a few more for the Fiji game.

The inclusion of Henderson, Kilcoyne and Marshall is positive.

I think McSharry, Paul Marshall, Cronin and maybe Marmion can feel a little unlucky, but it's not a terrible squad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How is DOC playing at the moment?

I haven't seen any Munster games for awhile now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

bamboozle wrote: »
    pretty much my thoughts.

What will it take for DOC and ROG to be omitted? Its even time for Darcy to be omitted and faith be placed in McSharry/Marshall/McFadden.
    Marshall, Jackson, Cronin glaring omissions - we will use 3 hookers over the 3 games.
    Madigan, Keatley can consider themselves unlucky.
    McSharry, Stevenson, Tonar, Henshaw would all have been considered by a logical coach.

Great to see Henderson involved.

What Irish lock deserves to be ahead of DOC?

And Darcy deserves his spot too. He now has realistic competition in the form of Marshall which is perfect

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How is DOC playing at the moment?

I haven't seen any Munster games for awhile now.

Very well. Which makes people questioning his inclusion pretty odd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's a problem at FB clearly, however I'm led to believe that there could be an interesting FB selection at one of the provinces this weekend which may or may not have come from Kidney...watch this space...

An Ulsterman talking about an unknown province....so Bowe at full back is it :pac:

@irfurugby: DK will add at least one more back and probably a prop to the squad after the weekend of @RaboDirectPRO12 #rterugby

An Ulsterman talking about an unknown province....so Bowe at full back is it :pac:
    Maybe Craig Gilroy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

ssaye wrote: »
    In fairness, Best and Strauss deserve it over the last two seasons.

I agree, I'm not one of the people who isn't pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Some good and some bad in the squad. Disapointed that there is no alternative out half, but pleased that he's looking to the future in the midfield with the selection of Luke Marshall. He said as much too, on form he could have picked Wallace or Downey but he's actively looking to the future with Marshall so credit where it's due there. McSharry can count himself a little unlucky.

The truth is the real acid test is the matchday selection. I think it will be pretty much as expected against SA which I don't have a real problem with but I just hope that if he does give a few newer faces a run against Fiji and if they really perform then he won't be afraid to play them against Argentina.

There's a problem at FB clearly, however I'm led to believe that there could be an interesting FB selection at one of the provinces this weekend which may or may not have come from Kidney...watch this space...

Hmmm...most likely Jones for Munster. What else? Conway for Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I don't think there'll be that many based on what he said. He said it'll be used for giving guys match time ahead of Argentina and looking at combinations. He mentioned looking at new guys but didn't seem to indicate it was a priority at all. I think the "new guys" will be the likes of Henderson and Marshall.

I'd guess at least one hooker will be brought in for Fiji, and maybe an out-half and scrum-half too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Quint2010 wrote: »

Gilroy for Ulster maybe. Maybe even Bowe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

POM, Ryan, Muldoon, McLoughlin?

Sarcasm. 10 players in the squad that have played blindside. Just bizarre when there's only 2 outhalves and hookers selected.

Glad to see some new faces in there. No Paddy Jackson is bizarre though. What more does he have to do for a place in a training squad? Think we will see:

Earls, Bowe, BOD, Darce, Zebo, Sexton, Murray, Heaslip, POM, Ferris, POC, Ryan, Ross, Best, Healy.

Tom Court (Malone/Ulster/29)
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster/33)
    Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster/22)
    David Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster)*

Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster)*
    Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster/62)

Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster/21)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster/88)
    Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster/85)
    Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht/4)
    Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster/5)
    Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster)*

Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster/35
    Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster/2)
    John Muldoon (Galwegians/Connacht/3)
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster/5)

Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster/50)
    Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster/7)

Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster/45)
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster/12)

Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster/124
    Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College/Leinster/32)

Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster/3)
    Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster/69)
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster/120) Captain
    Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)*

Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster/49)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster/14)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster/48)
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster/1)

Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster/32)

There's alot of second rows named. Some of them must be covering the back row too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Zebo possibly?

L.Marshall, Henderson and Kilcoyne will hold Tacklebags.

They wont play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Surprised Denis Hurley wasn't named. I have a feeling Kidney wants Jones to start this weekend and give serious consideration to him playing against SA. Hope to God Fitzpatrick plays this weekend and is named as TH cover, surely there's no way Court will cover it again after Twickenham and the fact he hasn't played there for Ulster in God knows how long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

All in all there's not much to complain about. O'Gara really shouldn't be there, but the real head wrecker is the back-row selection. He's taken Ferris/Henderson/Muldoon and McLaughlin, with Ryan/McCarthy and O'Mahony able to play blindside as well. Yet he's only taken Henry and POM for openside cover. Probably would've been better leaving one of Locky/Muldoon and taking Dougall.

Tom Court (Malone/Ulster/29)
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster/33)
    Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster/22)
    David Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster)*

Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster)*
    Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster/62)

Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster/21)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster/88)
    Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster/85)
    Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht/4)
    Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster/5)
    Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster)*

Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster/35
    Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster/2)
    John Muldoon (Galwegians/Connacht/3) Dougall
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster/5)

Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster/50)
    Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster/7)

Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster/45)
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster/12)

Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster/124 Paddy Jackson
    Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College/Leinster/32)

Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster/3)
    Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster/69)
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster/120) Captain
    Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)*

Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster/49)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster/14)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster/48) Keith Earls
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster/1)

Madigan/Keatley(Thomond/Munster/32)

TBH, they're the only changes I'd make. So not exactly the worst squad in the world. The inclusion of ROG is annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ROG in the squad is a slap in the face to Keatley, Madigan and Jackson. But not to worry, our ass-kissing journalists will find some bull**** reasons why ROG should be there.

Court as backup tighthead is a very poor decision, our first and second choice tightheads are 33 in December and 32 in November respectively. No forward planning at all.

Otherwise the squad is fine I suppose.

Broken Down:

Hookers: Best, Strauss,

Props: Healy, Ross, Kilcoyne, Court

Locks: O'Connell, Ryan O'Callaghan, Tuohy, McCarthy

Backrows: Ferris, O'Mahony, Henderson, Henry, Muldoon, McLaughlin, Heaslip

SHs: Murray, Reddan

FHs: Sexton, O'Gara

Centres: D'Arcy, Marshall, O'Driscoll, Cave

Wingers: McFadden, Bowe, Zebo, Trimble

Fullback: Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

They wont play

Listening to the press conference you could well be right...at least with Marshall and Kilcoyne, I got the impression Strauss will definitely play but the way he was talking I think Henderson may get a look in somewhere along the line.

They wont play

Bar Marshall I wouldn't really be too upset about not seeing them in the tests tbh. And they'll all get a run out for the Fiji game

I have to say I'm very happy. Especially the coaching changes. Really hope we''ll see an improvement thanks to that.

It'll be better if Jackson comes in for the Fiji game, but I'd say ROG will start with Marshall on the bench.

So now let the speculation on the extra players commence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

ROG in the squad is a slap in the face to Keatley, Madigan and Jackson. But not to worry, our ass-kissing journalists will find some bull**** reasons why ROG should be there.

Broken Down:

Hookers: Best, Strauss,

Props: Healy, Ross, Kilcoyne, Court

Locks: O'Connell, Ryan O'Callaghan, Tuohy, McCarthy

Backrows: Ferris, O'Mahony, Henderson, Henry, Muldoon, McLaughlin, Heaslip

SHs: Murray, Reddan

FHs: Sexton, O'Gara

Centres: D'Arcy, Marshall, O'Driscoll, Cave

Wingers: McFadden, Bowe, Zebo, Trimble

Fullback: Earls

Watching the press conference I don't think he was asked once about the out half situation. The focus was on Kearney, the four new caps, Strauss, the additions of Foley and Feek to the coaching team, how to improve the restarts and rucking and a little bit about what sort of team may play Fiji.

Maybe the printed media will ask him about it but I doubt it. It's actually really strange because surely you'd want a third 10 in the squad anyway to get at least 15 mins against Fiji. Maybe as someone else pointed out there will be other players added but I got the sense from kidney that the only players that will be added will be for injuries...so we'll get a FB (Jones or Hurley) and if Deccie Fitz proves his fitness at the weekend I imagine he'll be added as well. Anyone else will probably replace injured players already selected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement