Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This. Despite having had major issues with him as Irish coach for a number of years the majority of his squad announcements during that time have each had only minor enough complaints. However, each time the squad is hailed by some as a sign of Kidney turning the corner but then when he picks his starting line up his ineptitude at building for the future becomes crystal clear.

It’s a never ending cycle and it’s worn me down to the point where I honestly barely care anymore.

I'm the same. I'm pretty disinterested with this selection. I'm saving up my moaning for the performances. I expect to be well rewarded for my patience. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Healy, Best, Ross, O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Ferris, O'Mahony, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Bowe ,Darcy, O'Driscoll, Zebo, Earls.

Will be the starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

goreyguy wrote: »
    Healy, Best, Ross, O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Ferris, O'Mahony, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Bowe ,Darcy, O'Driscoll, Zebo, Earls.

Will be the starters.

I think you're probably right; maybe Ryan ahead of O'Callaghan but my word Deccie loves to pick DOC.

The only aspect of the above team that would really get me worked up would be O'Mahony ahead of Henry at 7. Henry has been in fantastic form for ages now wearing the #7 jersey. O'Mahony is a decent player, the sort of abrasive character that Kidney seems to cherish, but he is NOT a 7 (he certainly hasn't played there to any significant level).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I think you're probably right; maybe Ryan ahead of O'Callaghan but my word Deccie loves to pick DOC.

The only aspect of the above team that would really get me worked up would be O'Mahony ahead of Henry at 7. Henry has been in fantastic form for ages now wearing the #7 jersey. O'Mahony is a decent player, the sort of abrasive character that Kidney seems to cherish, but he is NOT a 7 (he certainly hasn't played there to any significant level).

Cant argue with that. With those two changes I would say that's our best XV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Tuohy and Ryan were ahead of DOC over the summer, I'd be surprised if he got back in ahead of them now. I can see him leaving him on the bench ahead of Tuohy though (unless Ryan ends up at 6, which is not impossible). Ryan has to be included somewhere though.

POM ahead of Henry will happen and it is a terrible decision. POM isn't even playing at 7 at the moment, he's playing reasonably ineffectively at 8. Henry is miles ahead as an openside. POM is a great bench option for now though.
    Winters wrote: »
    Cant argue with that. With those two changes I would say that's our best XV.

Reddan for Murray makes the team much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

jm08 wrote: »
    Keatley, Madigan and Jackson would only be the nuclear option as Sexton will play most of the time. Far better off playing and training with their provinces who would suffer a bit anyway if all the 2nd option outhalf's were removed to hold tackle bag at camp Ireland.

I'd say ROG would far prefer to be lining out for Munster than collecting blisters in the Aviva.

I'd agree that Keatley and Madigan are both probably better off playing 10 for their respective provinces, but there is no reason for Jackson to be excluded. ROG on the bench for the SA game, Jackson to start against Fiji and all going well bench against Argentina, would make the most sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Think Joe Schmidt may have had a word with Deccie and told him there is no way he is giving him Madigan..

Goodman is due to arrive shortly no? So they wont be completely devoid of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Theta wrote: »
    Goodman is due to arrive shortly no? So they wont be completely devoid of cover.

I doubt he'll be up to speed by the 4th....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He definitely is. He has the added bonus of being able to keep a level head, which'll be important against the South Africans. If he isn't selected I'll be irate.

Yes, that's the first name I'll be looking for on the teamsheet. This honestly isn't Ulster bias on my part but if POM is picked over Henry I'd really have to query Deccie's judgement.

I'll also be interested in who he picks at scrum half, I suspect he'll go with Murray who at least showed better form against Edinburgh after his disastrous showing in Paris and I'll be interested in the selection on the left wing where I'd like to see Zebo get the nod because whatever about his defensive deficiencies he will at least add a bit of fizz to an otherwise solid but unexciting backline. FB is a problem not of Deccie's making and he's in a bit of a fix there whoever he selects, if he's fit I'd go with Earls but I wouldn't want Goosen, Steyn or Pienaar (whoever is playing half back for SA) putting up too many bombs to test him out, he could also throw a bit of a curveball and stick Tommy to 15 if Earls isn't fit but the indications are that Keet will be okay for SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not that it was ever going to happen but we now know for sure that we won't get to see a Marshall v Pienaar battle at scrum half! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Cronin must be rueing his decision to join Leinster. He could be first choice at his home province, but instead he's living off cameos and PRO12 appearances in Leinster, and has been dropped from the Irish squad at the first opportunity once the Saffer has become eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Cronin must be rueing his decision to join Leinster. He could be first choice at his home province, but instead he's living off cameos and PRO12 appearances in Leinster, and has been dropped from the Irish squad at the first opportunity once the Saffer has become eligible.

He started the game against the Scarlets in the HCup, did he not??

I don't get this whole 'you must be 1st choice with your team to be selected for the national squad' thing. If Cronin was starting every game for Connacht he would still be behind Strauss.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

leftleg wrote: »
    He started the game against the Scarlets in the HCup, did he not??
    He sure did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Cronin must be rueing his decision to join Leinster.

Doubt it. He's got a nice shiny Heineken Cup medal and the memory of scoring a try in a Heineken Cup final.

.ak wrote: »
    I don't get this whole 'you must be 1st choice with your team to be selected for the national squad' thing. If Cronin was starting every game for Connacht he would still be behind Strauss.

Doc and Donncha Ryan at last years 6 nations anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Tuohy and Ryan were ahead of DOC over the summer, I'd be surprised if he got back in ahead of them now. I can see him leaving him on the bench ahead of Tuohy though (unless Ryan ends up at 6, which is not impossible). Ryan has to be included somewhere though.

POM ahead of Henry will happen and it is a terrible decision. POM isn't even playing at 7 at the moment, he's playing reasonably ineffectively at 8. Henry is miles ahead as an openside. POM is a great bench option for now though.

Reddan for Murray makes the team much better.

Not against the Saffers. Reddan will be targeted and hammered.

Not against the Saffers. Reddan will be targeted and hammered.

please elaborate on Reddan getting "hammered"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm sure he's crying into his Heineken Cup medal. He'd be still in the exact same position if he'd joined Munster. Unless Kidney has his usual red tinted glasses on he wouldn't be in the squad. Strauss is simply a better player.

leftleg wrote: »
    please elaborate on Reddan getting "hammered"

Large saffer back rows running into Reddan constantly. Murray is a bigger unit and will be picked for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

I really don't like Strauss being in there. Nothing to do with the mans ability, just feels wrong. Never liked England doing it and don't like it now that it's us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Large saffer back rows running into Reddan constantly. Murray is a bigger unit and will be picked for this reason.

That should never be a reason for picking a scrum-half in my opinion. A scrum-half plays a minuscule role in defence anyway. Added to that, primary roles such as speed/quality of service and game-management should come first.

Doubtful he'd have been first choice at Munster either with Fla there up to last year and Varley and Sherry.

He made the right decision to go to Leinster IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

ROG must be in for his physical defensive qualities. Pathetic. Jackson should be in there or at very least Madigan or Keatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Really really hope Luke Marshall gets more to do than just holding tackle bags.

Would also love to see Darce and Cave in midfield.

Lets be honest, its kidney he wont let anyone into the team unless there is an injury....

Match day 15 will be

1Healy
    2Best
    3Ross
    4Ryan
    5POC
    6Ferris*
    7Pom
    8Heaslip
    9 Murray
    10Sexton
    11Zebo
    12Darcy
    13Bod
    14Bowe
    15 Earls

* Assuming both rog and ferris are fit.

The team i would like to see

1Healy
    2Best
    3Ross
    4Ryan
    5POC
    6POM
    7Henry
    8Heaslip
    9 Reddan
    10Sexton
    11Trimble
    12 Marshall
    13 Bod
    14Bowe
    15 Earls... only through lack of options.....

Im going to assume that ferris isnt going to be fit. As other have said it may be better to have POM coming of the bench.

SOB is going to be a massive loss. It will also be a travisty if ryan dosent start.

At this stage though id be happy if kidney took a fecking risk and just started one new player... just one:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Hagz wrote: »
    A scrum-half plays a minuscule role in defence anyway. .

A scrum half plays a vital covering role in defence that's very noticeable if they're good at it. For example, TOL was absolutely fantastic at it. Reddan hindering North in the in goal area at the weekend was a good example.

I really don't like Strauss being in there. Nothing to do with the mans ability, just feels wrong. Never liked England doing it and don't like it now that it's us.

If someone is part of a team because he spent years living here, working with our rugby system, playing for our provinces, and registers as an Irish citizen, I can't see any moral problem with it.

I'll accept some people will always have an issue, but for me it seems a little purist... The world has become multinational and to exclude someone because of where they were born doesn't seem right to me.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    ROG must be in for his physical defensive qualities. Pathetic. Jackson should be in there or at very least Madigan or Keatley.

I know the younger OH's have been playing well but can you honestly say that in a match against South Africa if we were playing well and in with a shot of winning the game and Sexton went off injured you'd rather have one of the young lads coming on instead of ROG?

Keep in mind the ranking points on offer too...

Against the Pumas and the Saffers, be conservative and get the ranking points in the bag.

Experiment against Fiji.

If someone is part of a team because he spent years living here, working with our rugby system, playing for our provinces, and registers as an Irish citizen, I can't see any moral problem with it.

I'll accept some people will always have an issue, but for me it seems a little purist... The world has become multinational and to exclude someone because of where they were born doesn't seem right to me.

I'm in two minds on this. If he's settled here and is staying long term then let him get capped. The fear is the mercenary element, get his caps and head back to SA when he retires.

Maybe make citizenship a requirement before players can be capped in future. (would be tough on the like of Japan though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I know the younger OH's have been playing well but can you honestly say that in a match against South Africa if we were playing well and in with a shot of winning the game and Sexton went off injured you'd rather have one of the young lads coming on instead of ROG?

Keep in mind the ranking points on offer too...

Against the Pumas and the Saffers, be conservative and get the ranking points in the bag.

Experiment against Fiji.

I was considering the possibility before, but I'm convinced now....prefers physical scrum half, uses crutch of ranking points to select experience over form....

Hi Deccie! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement