Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

jm08 wrote: »
    I thought ROG did well against Racing until he got injured. He did make a mistake that lead to a try, but that was very early in the game and if he had stayed on the pitch, Munster would probably have won.

And if JFK had not gone around that corner in Dallas in 63 he would not have been shot in the head, come on jm. Thats not exactly built up on rigid fact now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

As a matter of interest, is O'Gara even due to be fit again in time for the SA match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

ray jay wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is O'Gara even due to be fit again in time for the SA match?

I think so, he was ruled out for 3/4 weeks after the RC Metro game iirc.

Strauss to play #7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Just on Strauss, I have no problem with a player coming over here to work for a few years and as a side effect he becomes elligible for Ireland through residency. What I do have a problem with is the project player policy where the IRFU actively recruit foreign players that can be eligible in 3 years in order to strengthen the national team.

I hate it as well, but its not going anywhere.

I'd like to see Earls start at 15 for Munster this weekend if he's going to be there for the AIs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

leftleg wrote: »
    And if JFK had not gone around that corner in Dallas in 63 he would not have been shot in the head, come on jm. Thats not exactly built up on rigid fact now is it.

ROG was good against Racing. Really don't think we would have lost it if he had stayed on the field

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

all i know re: project players is id be a lot happier to have Jared Payne at full back for the first match than Earls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

leonard7 wrote: »
    all i know re: project players is id be a lot happier to have Jared Payne at full back for the first match than Earls

I wouldn't. First off, Earls is Irish and arguably a better 15

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    ROG was good against Racing. Really don't think we would have lost it if he had stayed on the field

Hard to say, he was controlling matters well before it. what was starting to become apparent was Munster shovelling the ball from one side to the other without any penetration as the game wore on. Zebo was electric in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

ROG was better v Racing because it's the type of game he excels at, wet day, difficult to handle the ball, stick it in the corners.

• Advertisement

Strauss to play #7

not a bad call, very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Earls arguably has the potential to be a better 15 but he hasn't played there for ages, and Payne has been in electric form. Right at this moment there is no contest as to who I would prefer to start the first test, although I do agree that the "project player" system just doesn't sit right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

leonard7 wrote: »

And I'd be a lot happier to have Isreal Dagg at full back....

I'm very much against this project player stuff. If someone comes to make a life in Ireland and the byproduct is being IQ then ok, but not people coming specificly to try get into the Irish team because for whatever reason they cant get into their own team.

Its about pride in representing your country.

Personally would be much more in favor of a 3 years residency if you moved here before the age of 16, and something like 5/6 years residency if you moved here after 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

You think? Tonga are pretty piss poor

I was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Yeah-and ROG is American...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Yeah-and ROG is American...

Irish actually, just because someone is born elsewhere dosn't mean they arn't Irish.

I was born in London, however I am 100% Irish, and have never held British Citizenship.

(though under IRB Laws I could represent England :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    And I'd be a lot happier to have Isreal Dagg at full back....

I'm very much against this project player stuff. If someone comes to make a life in Ireland and the byproduct is being IQ then ok, but not people coming specificly to try get into the Irish team because for whatever reason they cant get into their own team.

Its about pride in representing your country.

Personally would be much more in favor of a 3 years residency if you moved here before the age of 16, and something like 5/6 years residency if you moved here after 16.

I agree, the like of Warwick (Irish Missus and kids) and Nacewa (kids) would be ideal candidates (aside from the small fact of prior caps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I think it's gas when people object to the likes of Strauss and Payne becoming IQ by actually taking a punt and coming over here for 3 years with no guarantee of selection at the end of it (and anyone who saw Strauss in his early days at Leinster wouldn't have bet the farm on him making it), but see no issue with the likes of Boss and Court arriving off the plane and getting a taxi straight to the Ireland camp, solely on the basis of an Irish granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

:D

Busted!

Seriously though, i think DK gets a lot of unfair criticism. Yes he's conservative but IMHO he's doing what he was contracted to do, namely get to a world cup 1/4 final, win a GS and keep us in the top 8. The IRFU needs to start writing better contracts methinks.

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Governing_Bodies/NGB_Support_Kit/5_Strategic_Planning/5_5_Downloads_Links/Rugby_Strategic_Plan.pdf
    National Team
    • Reach the semi-final of the Rugby World Cup 2011
    • Win a 6 Nations Championship
    • Win a Triple Crown at least once
    • Finish in the top 3 every year in the 6 Nations
    • Win at least one of SANZAR / Argentina game during the November Internationals
    • Win at least one of SANZAR / Argentina game during the summer tours
    • Win all games against tier II countries

Provincial Teams
    • Deliver a synergy between national and provincial player exposure & development
    • An Irish province to win the Heineken Cup
    • An Irish province in the semi-final of the Heineken Cup each year
    • 2 Irish provinces to qualify for the knock-out stage of the Heineken Cup each year
    • An Irish province to reach knock-out stages if participating in the European Challenge Cup
    • An Irish province to reach 2 semi-finals every 4 years in the European Challenge Cup
    • Irish provinces to win 2 Magners Leagues
    • 3 Irish provinces to finish in the top 6 of Magners League every season
    • IRFU to be a strong advocate for continued development of the Magners League

Under 20s
    • Win a 6 Nations Championship
    • Finish in the top 3 every other year
    • Finish in the top 6 in the Junior World Championships

Of these we've only failed in 4 goals. The Under 20s came 4th in the 6 Nations in 10/11 on points difference, Ulster didn't make the top 6 in the 08/09 or 09/10 seasons in the Celtic League, we haven't made the RWC SF and we lost all all our (SANZAR) games in the 2010 and 2012 SH tours.

But looking at the goals that we achieved, they really weren't that ambitious. Kidney had his job pretty much done within 6 months. To have a stated goal of beating all Tier 2 Nations is a bit like having a performance objective in work that you actually turn up for the working day. Objectives for the AIs is to win at least 1 home game in 4 years against teams coming half way around the world at the end of their season. And with the players we have winning just one 6 Nations in 4 years is the minimum we should be expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Strauss to play #7

Why not pick the guy playing 7 every weekend doing a damn fine job at it for tbr last couple of years - Henry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

Why not pick the guy playing 7 every weekend doing a damn fine job at it for tbr last couple of years - Henry.

I don't think Emmet was being totally serious there....

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

should be the auto pick for the SA game tbh

Only openside in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Scotland beat us in 2010. To deny the Triple Crown (remember those?).

In 2011 we won thanks to a ROG try, he steamrolled Al Kellock!

It was Nancy Ross.
    It'd be great to see Andress involved!

Not very likely.
    I know the younger OH's have been playing well but can you honestly say that in a match against South Africa if we were playing well and in with a shot of winning the game and Sexton went off injured you'd rather have one of the young lads coming on instead of ROG?
    Yes. ROG is a busted flush and has been for two or three years. He is a 35 year old has been. No other side in the world would use him apart from one coached by a mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes. ROG is a busted flush and has been for two or three years. He is a 35 year old has been. No other side in the world would use him apart from one coached by a mate.

If he's picking him because of personal reasons then he's doing ROG no favours as he's being turned into a bad smell people will be glad to see the back of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

jacothelad wrote: »
    It was Nancy Ross.

Not very likely.

He must have a great personality to be able to put a spell on so many coaches. ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

O'Gara doh.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Really disappointed Jackson isn't involved. Though what could be expected really.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

danthefan wrote: »
    Really disappointed Jackson isn't involved. Though what could be expected really.
    If O'Gara doesn't recover in time, Jackson may well get a call up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ray jay wrote: »
    If O'Gara doesn't recover in time, Jackson may well get a call up.

That's not really the point. The point is our coach would rather pick a hobbled 36 year old in rubbish form than a massively talented youngster playing 10 in one of the form teams in Europe.

• Advertisement

I think it's gas when people object to the likes of Strauss and Payne becoming IQ by actually taking a punt and coming over here for 3 years with no guarantee of selection at the end of it (and anyone who saw Strauss in his early days at Leinster wouldn't have bet the farm on him making it), but see no issue with the likes of Boss and Court arriving off the plane and getting a taxi straight to the Ireland camp, solely on the basis of an Irish granny.

Boss even still has the kiwi accent ffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement