Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

I appreciate and agree with the intention to get new blood into the squad, but maybe too much too soon.
    Forgot about locky, think fez may be out but stand to be corrected.
    Yeah redden for Murray would be my choice too but as a Leinster fan don't want to appear biased or anti Murray
    Dougal is there as there is a serious lack of 7 options with Seanie out and POM is not a 7 whatever anyone says
    Didn't realize coughlan was injured but think he should get a run at some stage in the future even if he is old enough, again lack of younger options here
    RE Mike Ross, need to start planning options now so would like to give others starts with maybe, I'd concede, mike on the bench in case it all goes to pot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

GerM wrote: »
    He was playing AIL last year up your direction, bilston. Played with Ballymena.

That's interesting, I think Luke Marshall played quite a bit at 10 for them certainly in the second half of last season so I wonder if he played 12 at all, anyway good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Great article in times today really making a sound call for McCarthy to start.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1026/1224325731780.html#.UIvFIX3vg9c.twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

gally74 wrote: »
    Great article in times today really making a sound call for McCarthy to start.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1026/1224325731780.html#.UIvFIX3vg9c.twitter

No chance-This is Kidney remember? It'll be Ryan or DOC starting with POC with the other benching. Kidney takes no heed of form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

tbh while McCarthy has been playing well he's never really shown much to suggest he's an international lock

Think Ryan and POC should start with one of DOC or Touhy on the bench anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think Toland is spot on. I don't consider McCarthy when I'm thinking of international 2nd rows... Probably because of a mixture of his age and the fact that Connacht lads seem to be less likely to be picked. But every time I see him he IS impressive so I'm probably wrong to discount him. I wouldn't have an issue at all with him starting beside OConnell or on the bench.

When you think about it, there's no reason he won't be able to make the next World Cup (he'll be 34), so even his age shouldn't come into it. Whether or not he's involved with Ireland any time soon, Mick Dawson should be writing him a blank cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think Toland is spot on. I don't consider McCarthy when I'm thinking of international 2nd rows... Probably because of a mixture of his age and the fact that Connacht lads seem to be less likely to be picked. But every time I see him he IS impressive so I'm probably wrong to discount him. I wouldn't have an issue at all with him starting beside OConnell or on the bench.

When you think about it, there's no reason he won't be able to make the next World Cup (he'll be 34), so even his age shouldn't come into it. Whether or not he's involved with Ireland any time soon, Mick Dawson should be writing him a blank cheque.

Agree, he brings an aggressiveness in the loose in both attack and defence that a lot of the other options dont. I'd be happy to see him in a green shirt(in a proper game), he's the type of all action player that fans like to see.
    I really hope DOC isnt brought back into the side, whilst he's performed decently this season at pro 12 level I think he's too limited at test level and his selection would be a retrograde step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Not that I'd mind seeing him in green (of Ireland), but I wouldn't want to see Ryan or O'Connell sacrificed for him. He should be on the bench though. Tuohy hasn't been too great this season and I'd rather see DOC out of the national squad tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭fitz

Do people really think at this stage that if Ferris isn't fit, we won't see DOC in the row with POC, with Ryan moved to 6?

Honestly, I don't know why people keep expecting Deccie to suddenly change his spots.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭fitz

In fact, I'd almost expect DOC to be started ahead of Ryan regardless.

Not what I want, but what I expect we'll see from Captain Conservative.

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know why people keep expecting Deccie to suddenly change his spots.

Oh yeah, cause this thread is filled with hope and expectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

fitz wrote: »
    Do people really think at this stage that if Ferris isn't fit, we won't see DOC in the row with POC, with Ryan moved to 6?

Ferris missed the summer tour and Ryan never appeared at blindside. I think we'll see McLaughlin in again probably although I don't think it's deserved. He's had a patchy opening to the season admittedly disrupted by being half fit.

Whether or not he's involved with Ireland any time soon, Mick Dawson should be writing him a blank cheque.

Not sure it would work. Leinster put an offer on the table before they approached Browne and it was knocked back in favour of signing a new contract out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    tbh while McCarthy has been playing well he's never really shown much to suggest he's an international lock

I like you Fishooks, in the vast amount of BS and hysteria posted on these forums at times you always seem to post sense and while I don't always agree with you, I can usually see where you are coming from- but this post has annoyed me abit

If DOC can get 88 caps- how you can say McCarthy isn't an international lock is beyond me. For the past 3 season McCarthy has been performing outstounding week in, week out. A second row of POC and Macca would be immense

wprathead wrote: »
    If DOC can get 88 caps- how you can say McCarthy isn't an international lock is beyond me.

Woah, hey. Once upon a time DOC wan't 33 years old. He's a two time Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't think DOC in his prime was any better than McCarthy has been recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

anyone think BOD will become the most capped player of all time think hes only about 13 caps or so behind George Gregan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

anyone think BOD will become the most capped player of all time think hes only about 13 caps or so behind George Gregan
    For as long as Deccie stays in charge he will be first choice pick, if a new broom comes in when the KidneyClock runs down, he may want to sweep clean. He should just about do it I believe. He deserves that honour at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Didn't realise he was so close. I'd say yes as long as he manages to stay injury free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

So the team I would like to see, what I think is the best XV available:

Earls
    Bowe
    BOD
    D'Arcy
    Trimble (as he was excellent last night, tight between him and Zebo)
    Sexton
    Reddan
    Heaslip
    Henry
    Ferris (if he's not fit then **** it, throw in Henderson)
    POC
    Ryan
    Ross
    Best
    Healy

Strauss, Kilcoyne, Fitzpatrick, Touhy, McLaughlin, Murray, Jackson (not in the squad but I can't bring myself to include ROG), McFadden

Would be harsh to leave out Zebo as he's been very good this season imo but McFadden can cover more positions which makes him more suitable for the bench. I'd have Zebo starting on the wing before McFadden though if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

danthefan wrote: »

Earls
    Bowe
    BOD
    D'Arcy
    Sexton
    Reddan
    Heaslip
    Henry
    POC
    Ryan
    Ross
    Best
    Healy

Strauss, Kilcoyne, Fitzpatrick, Touhy, McLaughlin, Murray, Jackson (not in the squad but I can't bring myself to include ROG), Zebo
    You're definitely going to have to add Jones to that squad I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

danthefan wrote: »

Earls
    Bowe
    BOD
    D'Arcy
    Sexton
    Reddan
    Heaslip
    Henry
    POC
    Ryan
    Ross
    Best
    Healy

Strauss, Kilcoyne, Fitzpatrick, Touhy, McLaughlin, Murray, Jackson (not in the squad but I can't bring myself to include ROG), McFadden

Would be harsh to leave out Zebo as he's been very good this season imo but McFadden can cover more positions which makes him more suitable for the bench. I'd have Zebo starting on the wing before McFadden though if that makes sense.

I reckon POM is a better bench option than Locky. I'd probably include Zebo over Trimble. Elsewhere, seems fair enough...I'd also pick Jackson but that's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Didn't realise he was so close. I'd say yes as long as he manages to stay injury free.

just had a look on wikipedia that includes 6 lions caps 120 for ire ROG is on 124 for ire plus 2 for the lions the info could be wrong

Lelantos wrote: »

Quite possibly as DK is a confirmed fan but I wouldn't agree with it at all. Jones has literally just returned from another long term injury. His form before that was quite poor and would have him nowhere near the squad. Hurley has been playing solidly and will be hard done by to be discarded so rapidly.

I'd let the others on the field cover the full back slot and use the 23 jersey for someone with a little more versatility. If Jones isn't in the first 15, I don't think he should be on the bench covering one position only. Zebo offers something unique in a thumping left boot. I'd probably have him in the side and Trimble covering from the bench.

Very happy to see Trimble last night deliver a big performance. He's a guy that really steps up even when his side are under pressure putting in huge hits and opportunistic moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Lelantos wrote: »

I wouldn't have him in the 23, not a hope.

My team for the SA game

15 Earls
    14 Bowe
    13 BOD
    12 Darcy
    11 Zebo
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan/Murray not sure yet...
    8 Heaslip
    7 Henry
    6 Henderson (assuming Ferris is injured)
    5 POC
    4 DOC
    3 Ross
    2 Best
    1 Healy

16 Strauss
    17 Kilcoyne
    18 Fitzpatrick
    19 D Ryan
    20 POM
    21 Murray/Reddan
    22 ROG.................
    23 Trimble

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I think it's very harsh on McLaughlin not to start him if Ferris is injured. He was great against NZ. I also wouldn't have Kilcoyne near the 23. If McGrath and McAllister were both fit and getting regular game time i'd have both ahead of him. Not to mention Buckley. In my opinion that would make him the 6th best IQ loosehead in the country...

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I think it's very harsh on McLaughlin not to start him if Ferris is injured. He was great against NZ. I also wouldn't have Kilcoyne near the 23. If McGrath and McAllister were both fit and getting regular game time i'd have both ahead of him. Not to mention Buckley. In my opinion that would make him the 6th best IQ loosehead in the country...

Have you seen Kilcoyne play lately? He's been brilliant. And Locky hasn't been that good this season, Henderson is playing much better rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Have you seen Kilcoyne play lately? He's been brilliant. And Locky hasn't been that good this season, Henderson is playing much better rugby

I wouldn't say brilliant... Anyway, as i said it would be IF McGrath and McAllister were playing. I just think in the small opportunities theyve had theyve shown that they are capable of more than Kilcoyne and i'd like to think if they were getting the gametime that kilcoyne is getting theyd be better. Also Buckley has been just as good as Kilcoyne in my book. And im a court fan so that accounts for me wanting him to bench :P.

As for Locky i'll bow to your superior knowledge. I doubt Henderson will be leapfrogging the others just yet tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Healy, Best, Ross, Tuohy, POC, Ferris, Henry, Heaslip;
    Murray, Sexton, Zebo, D'Arcy, BOD, Bowe, Keet

Bench: Strauss, Kilcoyne, ?, Ryan, POM, Reddan, ROG, Trimble

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement