Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd say Cave at 13, Earls at 15.

Kidney might prefer Earls at 13, Jones at 15. We'll see.

He could put McFadden in at 13 as well I guess. I wouldn't, but he might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd say if BOD is out the likelihood is

12. D'Arcy
    13. Earls

15. Bowe

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Does anyone know when the Ireland squad begin their camp? Will most of them be pulled from Rabo action next weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

danthefan wrote: »
    I'd say if BOD is out the likelihood is

12. D'Arcy
    13. Earls

15. Bowe

I would think so. Jones might come into the equation also. DK is very much a fan. Cave isn't on the Declan Kidney guest list. Can't see him being named in the team unless another couple of players drop out.

McFadden put himself back in the window with his show tonight. Yes, it was against abysmal opposition but he was electric. That's probably the best I've ever seen him on the wing. He was popping up everywhere, breaking the line, showing good pace and driving through contact. It's a shame that we're not as well stocked in other positions as we are on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Does anyone know when the Ireland squad begin their camp? Will most of them be pulled from Rabo action next weekend?

I believe they meet up on Monday.

Can't see many of them being released back to the provinces, or at least many of the probables

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

GerM wrote: »
    I would think so. Jones might come into the equation also. DK is very much a fan. Cave isn't on the Declan Kidney guest list. Can't see him being named in the team unless another couple of players drop out.

McFadden put himself back in the window with his show tonight. Yes, it was against abysmal opposition but he was electric. That's probably the best I've ever seen him on the wing. He was popping up everywhere, breaking the line, showing good pace and driving through contact. It's a shame that we're not as well stocked in other positions as we are on the wing.

I think McFadden has done fairly well in the centre this season too. Especially against Munster.

danthefan wrote: »
    I think McFadden has done fairly well in the centre this season too. Especially against Munster.

You're right. He was very good. But I can't see his immediate international future being at centre. DK used three different inside centres and two different outside centres in NZ and none of them were McFadden. He's probably going to find himself in the dreaded utility jersey again with 23 on his back.

However, this season, in my opinion, he has delivered more on his promise than he has ever done before. He always threatened to be a very good player but now he's consistently a go to player in the Leinster side. He'll never have certain aspects that others do but if he can play like he did tonight, he'll get the guts of 40 caps which is a very good return for a guy who possibly still isn't first choice at his province.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

You're right. He was very good. But I can't see his immediate international future being at centre. DK used three different inside centres and two different outside centres in NZ and none of them were McFadden. He's probably going to find himself in the dreaded utility jersey again with 23 on his back.

However, this season, in my opinion, he has delivered more on his promise than he has ever done before. He always threatened to be a very good player but now he's consistently a go to player in the Leinster side. He'll never have certain aspects that others do but if he can play like he did tonight, he'll get the guts of 40 caps which is a very good return for a guy who possibly still isn't first choice at his province.
    The new Paddy Wallace. All's that needed is for him to get a game at 10 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

McFadden is not an option at 13 for Ireland. I don't rate him very highly there at all, he's much better on the wing and at 12.

I think he could be an option at 12 internationally though.

But I'd have BOD, Earls, Cave, EOM, Griffin all ahead of him when it comes to 13. The only thing is that Kidney has picked McFadden at 13 ahead of Cave before...

But I'd have BOD, Earls, Cave, EOM, Griffin all ahead of him when it comes to 13. The only thing is that Kidney has picked McFadden at 13 ahead of Cave before...

Has he? Cave was injured for last season's 6N game against Wales and wasn't in the panel for the Churchill Cup in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Has he? Cave was injured for last season's 6N game against Wales and wasn't in the panel for the Churchill Cup in 2009.

Oh possibly not so, I thought he picked McFadden ahead of Cave against Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

It'd be depressing to see D'Arcy-BOD line out at 12-13 against SA, but it is probably the best option if Earls is needed at 15. With Kearney out, Zebo's aerial ability and left peg will be needed against the Saffers. I'd like to see:

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. POC
    5. Ryan: He hasn't been great this year, but he starts as he was Ireland's form player last year.
    6. Ferris/POM: POM if Ferris isn't fit.
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray: Brainfarts against Racing aside, he has been very good this year. Age and physicality edge it against Reddan.
    10. ROG: His kicking and game-management is needed against SA. Nah, Sexton should start.
    11. Zebo
    12. D'Arcy/BOD :o
    13. BOD/Earls
    14. Bowe
    15. Earls/A.N.Other

16. Strauss :rolleyes:
    17. Kilcoyne: Court is the realistic option, but I'd love to see Killer's youth edge it.
    18. Fitzpatrick
    19. Tuohy: DOC's physicality would be needed against SA, but the younger Tuohy deserves a shot. McCarthy misses out for similar reasons.
    20. POM/McLaughlin
    21. Reddan
    22. Sexton
    23. McFadden: He's the best bench option.

You're one sneaky man Capt!:D

Oh possibly not so, I thought he picked McFadden ahead of Cave against Wales.

Cave, Earls and BOD were all unavailable for that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Good news on BOD anyway:
    He sprained his ankle. He was going to play on. In the end, we measured up the responsibilities that he has got coming up and we replaced him. We don't think at this stage that it is too serious.

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/15048.php

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

It'd be depressing to see D'Arcy-BOD line out at 12-13 against SA, but it is probably the best option if Earls is needed at 15. With Kearney out, Zebo's aerial ability and left peg will be needed against the Saffers. I'd like to see:

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. POC
    5. Ryan: He hasn't been great this year, but he starts as he was Ireland's form player last year.
    6. Ferris/POM: POM if Ferris isn't fit.
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray: Brainfarts against Racing aside, he has been very good this year. Age and physicality edge it against Reddan.
    10. ROG: His kicking and game-management is needed against SA. Nah, Sexton should start.
    11. Zebo
    12. D'Arcy/BOD :o
    13. BOD/Earls
    14. Bowe
    15. Earls/A.N.Other

16. Strauss :rolleyes:
    17. Kilcoyne: Court is the realistic option, but I'd love to see Killer's youth edge it.
    18. Fitzpatrick
    19. Tuohy: DOC's physicality would be needed against SA, but the younger Tuohy deserves a shot. McCarthy misses out for similar reasons.
    20. POM/McLaughlin
    21. Reddan
    22. Sexton
    23. McFadden: He's the best bench option.

Is there finally going to be 8 subs internationally this year? As up to now it's been just 7 with just two front row replacements, meaning Court gets the nod everytime as he covers LH and TH

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

ShamFeen wrote: »

Is there finally going to be 8 subs internationally this year? As up to now it's been just 7 with just two front row replacements, meaning Court gets the nod everytime as he covers LH and TH

8 subs now, albeit as a trial but I don't really see what's to trial about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Bents parachute opened successfully and he's straight into the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

durkadurka wrote: »

Source?

link?

That's madness.

Glad to see Cronin, Jackson, Gilroy, TOH, Marshall and Dec Fitz added but Bent has no business going into the panel on, literally, the day he arrives in the country. The likes of Andress, Loughney, Hagan, Archer or whoever deserve the chance if they're going to be holding tackle bags. I find it very odd that people would have a problem with Strauss being in the panel but, because Bent has a relative that was born here, it's fine that he plays without ever giving anything to Irish rugby.

At least lets see him play for a few months and, all things going well, give him a shot next summer unless there's an emergency before then.

• Advertisement

These guys too from leinsterrugby.ie:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10547.php

Ireland Squad Additions (Club/Province/International Caps):

Sean Cronin (St.Mary’s College/Leinster/21)
    Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster)*
    Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)*
    Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
    Tiernan O’Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht)*
    Michael Bent (Leinster)*
    Declan Fitzpatrick (Belfast Harlequins/Munster/2)

Well Declan must be happy with Bowe covering 15 then. I'd say Bent is just going to be put through his paces for now

These guys too from leinsterrugby.ie:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10547.php

Ireland Squad Additions (Club/Province/International Caps):

Sean Cronin (St.Mary’s College/Leinster/21)
    Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster)*
    Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)*
    Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
    Tiernan O’Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht)*
    Michael Bent (Leinster)*
    Declan Fitzpatrick (Belfast Harlequins/Munster/2)

Infairness they're some pretty good additions

Hookers: Best, Strauss, Cronin

Props: Healy, Ross, Kilcoyne, Court, Bent, Fitzpatrick

Locks: O'Connell, Ryan O'Callaghan, Tuohy, McCarthy

Backrows: Ferris, O'Mahony, Henderson, Henry, Muldoon, McLaughlin, Heaslip

SHs: Murray, Reddan, Marshall

FHs: Sexton, O'Gara, Jackson

Centres: D'Arcy, Marshall, O'Driscoll, Cave

Wingers: McFadden, Bowe, Zebo, Trimble, O'Halloran, Gilroy

Fullback: Earls

Pretty good additions it has to be said, however does the fact that they weren't in the original announcement count against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

And Kidney's fear of having no one to hold the tackle bags has been alleviated.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    And Kidney's fear of having no one to hold the tackle bags has been alleviated.

I don't get this "hold the tackle bags thing", it seems Kidney is damned no matter what he does. Of the additions made, most will take part in the Fiji game and that's only a positive thing considering our first 15 basically picks itself bar one or two. Which I personally can't wait for now.

Plus tickets are only 15e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Please excuse my ignorance but whats the deal with this Bent chap ? I take it he's a NZ born IQ prop who just signed for (and has yet to play for) Leinster is straight into the Irish squad ?

Has he even been to Ireland before ?

Scioch wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but whats the deal with this Bent chap ? I take it he's a NZ born IQ prop who just signed for (and has yet to play for) Leinster is straight into the Irish squad ?

I doubt he'll play, I'd say the Irish management just want a look at him. It would be grossly unfair to Fitzpatrick if Bent, who hasn't played a minute for Leinster, got picked ahead of him.

Scioch wrote: »

He got off the plane today. Has never kicked a ball for any Irish team province or club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Disgrace that Bent is parachuted straight into the squad. We might just see the following "Irish" frontrow in the coming weeks:
    1. Court, 2. Strauss, 3. Bent;

Jokeshop!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement