Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

That's an odd one all right. Management maybe gonna cap him for future security ? Dont understand why they would bring him into the Irish squad to check him out when he's signed on to play in Ireland for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Scioch wrote: »
    That's an odd one all right. Management maybe gonna cap him for future security ? Dont understand why they would bring him into the Irish squad to check him out when he's signed on to play in Ireland for the rest of the season.

Because we don't have great depth at the position. By all accounts he's a very good scrummager and so if he does turn out to be as good as advertised he'll probably be involved in February. This gives him a head start on integrating with the squad and developing a working relationship with the guys he'll be playing beside (particularly Rory Best). There are things like lineout calls and defensive organisational things he'll need to learn before he's a viable option.

Another thing to remember is he plays both sides. Not like Court "plays both sidesish". He supposedly is actually quite handy on either side. So if we go back to 22 man squads he could be very useful indeed.

I'd say he'll be doing what Richardt Strauss has been doing in Ireland camos earlier in the year. Just training and getting used to things and people. Maybe we'll see him off the bench against Fiji or Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Because we don't have great depth at the position. By all accounts he's a very good scrummager and so if he does turn out to be as good as advertised he'll probably be involved in February. This gives him a head start on integrating with the squad and developing a working relationship with the guys he'll be playing beside (particularly Rory Best). There are things like lineout calls and defensive organisational things he'll need to learn before he's a viable option.

Another thing to remember is he plays both sides. Not like Court "plays both sidesish". He supposedly is actually quite handy on either side. So if we go back to 22 man squads he could be very useful indeed.

I'd say he'll be doing what Richardt Strauss has been doing in Ireland camos earlier in the year. Just training and getting used to things and people. Maybe we'll see him off the bench against Fiji or Argentina.

Can't do much for squad morale, though, if the guy just touches down at Dublin airport and comes in as the propping Messiah. In NZ, you have to play in either the ITM cup or S15 before you can make the ABs. This stops players cherry picking their moments eg play in Europe, return to NZ to play for ABs, return to Europe.

However, life isn't fair, so if he is actually good enough, and he's better than someone who's been doing time, then I guess Kidney feels he's worth a punt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

The credible word from New Zealand is that Bent is no better than Borlase, and we all know how that turned out. Pathetic stuff from the IRFU.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    The credible word from New Zealand is that Bent is no better than Borlase, and we all know how that turned out. Pathetic stuff from the IRFU.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bent is Irish qualified isn't he, so why the big deal. He's no different than any of the likes of Rob Henderson, Shane Geoghan, etc., played their club rugby in another country and wants to play international rugby for Ireland. If he's good enough then why not. Kinda tough on those who came through academies here but that shouldn't rule out other players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I doubt he'll play, I'd say the Irish management just want a look at him. It would be grossly unfair to Fitzpatrick if Bent, who hasn't played a minute for Leinster, got picked ahead of him.

What's fair got to do with it really? It's professional sport.

Having said that I've never seen Bent play so I've no idea of his standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Cleahaigh wrote: »

It's brilliant from the IRFU. He's Irish qualified so why wouldn't they bring him in. It's a position we struggle hugely in terms of strength and depth.

And I don't know who your source of the first part of your post is. But I've heard very good things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Bent's club scrum coach and all the Leinster front row are in Ireland camp. He'd be kicking his heals pretty much on his own back in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I don't get this "hold the tackle bags thing", it seems Kidney is damned no matter what he does. Of the additions made, most will take part in the Fiji game and that's only a positive thing considering our first 15 basically picks itself bar one or two. Which I personally can't wait for now.

Plus tickets are only 15e

You're right,I'm probably taking an unnecessarily pessimistic view on the selections.It's just hard to see these players being selected for the Fiji game as a positive when they'll most likely be nowhere near the squad come the 6 Nations.

• Advertisement

Swiwi wrote: »
    Can't do much for squad morale, though, if the guy just touches down at Dublin airport and comes in as the propping Messiah. In NZ, you have to play in either the ITM cup or S15 before you can make the ABs. This stops players cherry picking their moments eg play in Europe, return to NZ to play for ABs, return to Europe.

However, life isn't fair, so if he is actually good enough, and he's better than someone who's been doing time, then I guess Kidney feels he's worth a punt...

I don't think it's much different to how the NZRU treated SBW. Granted he played a little at home before he made his debut, but the same might happen with Bent. I think the only difference is the fact Bent coincidentally finished his ITM season just as the Irish squad needed cover at TH.

Not that Bent is in the same league as SBW was. Just that if you're good enough and elligible you'll be involved. It's professional sports.

I don't think it's much different to how the NZRU treated SBW. Granted he played a little at home before he made his debut, but the same might happen with Bent. I think the only difference is the fact Bent coincidentally finished his ITM season just as the Irish squad needed cover at TH.

Not that Bent is in the same league as SBW was. Just that if you're good enough and elligible you'll be involved. It's professional sports.

They fast-tracked Luke McAlister back in after 1 or 2 token ITM cup games when he came back from Europe, and that back-fired badly. McAlister was awful when he returned home, and quickly headed back to France...a pity, because he was damn good in 2007.

(NB: SBW played a whole season of ITM cup before he was selected for the AB end of year tour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

phog wrote: »
    Bent is Irish qualified isn't he, so why the big deal. He's no different than any of the likes of Rob Henderson, Shane Geoghan, etc., played their club rugby in another country and wants to play international rugby for Ireland. If he's good enough then why not. Kinda tough on those who came through academies here but that shouldn't rule out other players.

It's not really. Assume you meant Simon Geoghegan; himself and Henderson both considered themselves Irish. They joined LI as youngsters specifically and represented Ireland at underage levels. Their intention was to play for Ireland and they gave Ireland their best. Bent is someone that was completely unknown 6 months ago and only came on the scene because of his ancestry. If he had ever had any desire to play for Ireland he waited long enough to display it.

I'm not against the notion of someone playing based on ancestry at all. But in these circumstances, I find it a bit much that the fella has stepped off a plane and is officially called into the Irish squad. If it was just to get familiar with calls and integrated, he could have trained with them like plenty of players have done in the past without being officially part of the squad. It looks like the intention is to use him as soon as possible. That's a major kick in the teeth for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

durkadurka wrote: »
    These guys too from leinsterrugby.ie:

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10547.php

Ireland Squad Additions (Club/Province/International Caps):

Sean Cronin (St.Mary’s College/Leinster/21)
    Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster)*
    Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)*
    Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
    Tiernan O’Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht)*
    Michael Bent (Leinster)*
    Declan Fitzpatrick (Belfast Harlequins/Munster/2)

Do they know something we don't??

Swiwi wrote: »
    They fast-tracked Luke McAlister back in after 1 or 2 token ITM cup games when he came back from Europe, and that back-fired badly. McAlister was awful when he returned home, and quickly headed back to France...a pity, because he was damn good in 2007.

(NB: SBW played a whole season of ITM cup before he was selected for the AB end of year tour)

He made his ITM Cup debut 2 months before playing for New Zealand. Didn't have to play Super 15 at all, is the point. As you say there are other examples of NZ players being brought into the squad. I'd say its pretty fair to say SBW was selected for New Zealand based on what he'd done in Europe and in the NRL.

It's not like Bent has been selected for Ireland. He's just being named in an extended squad. Generally players need to do a hell of a lot for Kidney to acknowledge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Could be the first man to be capped by Ireland without ever playing a game at any level in the country?

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Could be the first man to be capped by Ireland without ever playing a game at any level in the country?

As far as I'm aware. Court is the closest thing who played for Ireland A before representing any other side. As it stands, I think Bent will be released for the Ospreys game to get some sort of live scrummaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Well he has got to be better than Archer who would have been the next best pick.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Well he has got to be better than Archer who would have been the next best pick.

Loughney has gone from winning a penalty try against Toulouse and playing NZ in the summer to complete obscurity. John Andress has started every game this season in the AP. There are options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

GerM wrote: »
    Loughney has gone from winning a penalty try against Toulouse and playing NZ in the summer to complete obscurity. John Andress has started every game this season in the AP. There are options there.

Yeah you are right. I'd say Feel has tipped Bent to Deccie.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »

Loughney isn't going to be starting ahead of Nathan White any time soon and he mustn't have made an impression down under.

Andress is a puzzler though. We need to get him contracted to a province this summer (Munster, looking at you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think the additions are good. As for Bent...well, it's a very murky area...ancestry beats playing here for 3 years imo but that's only because in certain cases those people consider themselves Irish. And that's not really a tangible thing. I do think that having just stepped off the plane, it's too soon.

If I might play devils advocate here and suggest that maybe Mike Sherry might feel a little peeved about not getting in ahead of Cronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If I might play devils advocate here and suggest that maybe Mike Sherry might feel a little peeved about not getting in ahead of Cronin.

Meh...Sherry has never been ahead of Cronin in the Ireland pecking order. He's played well enough this season, but had a few bad games thrown in there. He needs to cement himself ahead of Varley, and get a good run of form before he can feel aggrieved about this kind of decision.

(It's something I think he can do, Varley's darts have been more erratic than usual this season and indiscipline is always a problem)

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Meh...Sherry has never been ahead of Cronin in the Ireland pecking order. He's played well enough this season, but had a few bad games thrown in there. He needs to cement himself ahead of Varley, and get a good run of form before he can feel aggrieved about this kind of decision.

(It's something I think he can do, Varley's darts have been more erratic than usual this season and indiscipline is always a problem)

Ha I agree. Was more raising the point for the sake of discussion more so than anything else.

TBH I've been pretty disappointed with how Cronin hasn't really developed as much as I though he would when he moved to Leinster. But infairness it's tough being behind someone like Strauss

If Sherry does nail down the number 2 shirt from Munster between now and Christmas. There may be a decision to be made for the 6 nations squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Devil's advocate is one thing, but in reality Cronin is substantially better than Sherry.

Devil's advocate is one thing, but in reality Cronin is substantially better than Sherry.

hmm substantially might be stretching it a little. Cronin is better alright but I think the gap is closing!

Cronins scrummaging has come on massively under Feek. I haven't seen much of Sherry in a while, how is his scrummaging?

Cronins scrummaging has come on massively under Feek. I haven't seen much of Sherry in a while, how is his scrummaging?

Pretty well on anecdotal evidence, I personally find it very hard to tell how a hooker is scrumaging compared to a TH or LH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Loughney isn't going to be starting ahead of Nathan White any time soon and he mustn't have made an impression down under.

Andress is a puzzler though. We need to get him contracted to a province this summer (Munster, looking at you!)

Andress changed his mind about moving to Munster when he heard BJ Botha was also coming.

Edit: Here is a quote from him.
    Andress is out of contract at the end of the season and despite interest from the provinces, he's decided to move to Worcester Warriors. His agent was in talks with Munster last season, but a deal to return to Ulster appeared to have been sealed until they managed to convince John Afoa to swap Auckland for Ravenhill.

“I don’t really want to go back home to sit on the bench behind someone I’m potentially better than,” explains Andress. “Munster have brought in BJ Botha this season and Ulster have got John Afoa, so I’d imagine there won’t be many opportunities there.”

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/index.php/component/content/article/2-sport-news/182-school-of-hard-props%E2%80%8F

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement