Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Devil's advocate is one thing, but in reality Cronin is substantially better than Sherry.

Yeah, I don't think he's "substantially better". Cronin has certain attributes that make him a very useful player, he's got an explosive burst of pace and gets around the field very well.

But Sherry's handy enough in the loose, and his darts are better imo. He's coming along okay, if he hadn't had injuries last season, I think he'd be firmly established as first choice. Cronin hasn't come on as much as I'd have liked in the last couple of years
    jm08 wrote: »
    Andress changed his mind about moving to Munster when he heard BJ Botha was also coming.

Edit: Here is a quote from him.

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/index.php/component/content/article/2-sport-news/182-school-of-hard-props%E2%80%8F

Well, at least he's determined to play first-team rugby. And he did think about it before, could be a good signing for next season. What's his current contract status, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

p jackson, p marshal, gilroy, t o hal, cronin, fitzpatrick added to the training squad and bent straight in too

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Andress is contracted till 2014: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16960849

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Any news on that fella O'Driscolls injury? heard it was a sprained ankle but didnt hear how bad it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

leonard7 wrote: »
    Any news on that fella O'Driscolls injury? heard it was a sprained ankle but didnt hear how bad it

Should be back for the international series but it will be monitored. I suspect he'll play but will be strapped up and not 100% (but he rarely is anyway).

• Advertisement

cheers GerM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

What particularly peeves me about Kidneys squad selections is that he all too often sends out the wrong message to players. I know we're a bit stuck at TH but not this badly, this is a bit embarrassing IMO, what does it mean for Hagans situation at Leinster, he's backup TH as things stand, will Schmidt be under pressure now to select Bent ahead of Hagan.

Maybe Bent will only be holding tackle bags but that makes it all the worse for me, why make such a controversial selection for a guy just to hold tackle bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

shuffol wrote: »
    What particularly peeves me about Kidneys squad selections is that he all too often sends out the wrong message to players. I know we're a bit stuck at TH but not this badly, this is a bit embarrassing IMO, what does it mean for Hagans situation at Leinster, he's backup TH as things stand, will Schmidt be under pressure now to select Bent ahead of Hagan.

Maybe Bent will only be holding tackle bags but that makes it all the worse for me, why make such a controversial selection for a guy just to hold tackle bags.
    I would imagine that promises were made and now have to be delivered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

shuffol wrote: »

It's not just tackle bags they'll be holding now. There are loads of drills they will be doing and most importantly there will be live scrummaging which will show were he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

IMO Deccie Fitzpatrick is more than capable of backing up Ross and is a pretty good scrummager himself so why is there an urgent need for Bent? I never thought i'd say this but i'd actually rather have Archer in the squad. At least he's made some sort of contribution to Irish rugby...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It could be a fitness issue. Fitzpatrick has just come back from injury whereas Bent as far as I know was playing/training with Taranaki in the ITM Cup in NZ (He started their last game in the playoff/SF on 20 Oct).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

INPHO_00639329.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Hagz wrote: »
    INPHO_00639329.jpg

And some people were worried about his Irishness! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

INPHO_00639329.jpg

What a brilliant picture

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

GerM wrote: »
    Should be back for the international series but it will be monitored. I suspect he'll play but will be strapped up and not 100% (but he rarely is anyway).

Himself, Darce, Healy and Redden sat out training today. He was walking around fine so precautionary I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

http://www.thescore.ie/irish-rugby-training-654075-Oct2012/#slide-slideshow9
    Tommy Bowe, Keith Earls and Paddy Jackson run a backs move with Jackson notably in the fullback role rather than the two men favourite to start there against the 'Boks

wouldnt take too much note of the numbers, however wouldnt be unlike ireland to play players out of position

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

First day of training, match not for another two weeks. I imagine they were just running lines, most of them I heard were boozing Saturday so probably just a run to shake off the cobwebs. Also we don't know who was wearing the other 15 jersey? Maybe Zebo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Jackson at 15 was a serious option for Kidney, he would have played there at the weekend and not Tommy Bowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Jackson at 15 was a serious option for Kidney, he would have played there at the weekend and not Tommy Bowe.

There is absolutely no way in a million years that Jackson is even remotely in contention to play FB against SA!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

INPHO_00639329.jpg

Is that Michael Bent then?...

bilston wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way in a million years that Jackson is even remotely in contention to play FB against SA!!!!

Unless!
    Declan_Kidney_HEadshot.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Is that Michael Bent then?...

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I would say the last 3 words of your statement are surplus to Kidneys requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Keith Earls will more than likely start at 15 (and he is filling in for Brian O'Driscoll in training as brian is looking on!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Do people think the squad is stronger or weaker than say the squad the went to the world cup last year. For some reason I have some optimism, I think this squad is stronger. Lots of players who weren't on the radar last year are sticking their hands up, albeit a few who were have dipped a little.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Do people think the squad is stronger or weaker than say the squad the went to the world cup last year. For some reason I have some optimism, I think this squad is stronger. Lots of players who weren't on the radar last year are sticking their hands up, albeit a few who were have dipped a little.

I think 'cos we're missing SOB and Kearney we're a fair bit weaker. Plus some of the weaknesses in the squad at the RWC are still there e.g. at 12 and TH.

In second row and possibly hooker as well we're stronger though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think 'cos we're missing SOB and Kearney we're a fair bit weaker. Plus some of the weaknesses in the squad at the RWC are still there e.g. at 12 and TH.

In second row and possibly hooker as well we're stronger though.

You could say that the coaching team is weaker. Hard to get excited about the series with Kidney calling the shots

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement