Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Just thought I'd quote this for added emphasis.

By the looks of things we've a lot of moon-landing deniers on this thread. Hopefully they are wearing their tin-foil hats to protect them from all those harmful emf's from overhead power lines.

best post today .. maith an buachaill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Why was the flag waving in the footage, Captain? There's no wind on the moon! ANSWER ME THAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    This, Murray's been pretty decent this year bar the Racing game. His service has definitely improved. But I guess that won't stop people delving into hyperbole.

He's been ok. If he wasnt a already capped international I'd be adamant people would still be calling for Marshall ahead of him. He was brought into the first choice 9 role on the back of absolutely sweet fcuk all and has stayed there despite poor form.

His improvement this year is just that an improvement. This is the point where people should be saying "That young Munster 9 looks good this year, he deserves to be brought into the Irish squad. Instead of "Our first choice 9 is better this year" despite him never actually showing anything remotely resembling the performance of an international player. Hyperbole or the cold hard truth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

GerM wrote: »
    Why was the flag waving in the footage, Captain? There's no wind on the moon! ANSWER ME THAT!

29350820.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Scioch wrote: »
    He's been ok. If he wasnt a already capped international I'd be adamant people would still be calling for Marshall ahead of him. He was brought into the first choice 9 role on the back of absolutely sweet fcuk all and has stayed there despite poor form.

His improvement this year is just that an improvement. This is the point where people should be saying "That young Munster 9 looks good this year, he deserves to be brought into the Irish squad. Instead of "Our first choice 9 is better this year" despite him never actually showing anything remotely resembling the performance of an international player. Hyperbole or the cold hard truth ?

Hyperbole, I'd say.

I get your point but to say he's never shown "anything remotely resembling the performance of an international player" is wrong considering he's actually had some very good games for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

That's hyperbole right there

Murray looked very capable of international rugby a few times (first test against NZ example) and others he hasn't.

I'm not arguing that he should start. Reddan is the better player at the moment (but not by as much as some people would make you think). But at the same time Murray isn't the bumbling donkey he's made out to be by some posters annoyed at his continued selection over Reddan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

JRant wrote: »
    I think Leamy retired because his body just couldn't take the punishment anymore and playing in a mickey mouse summer tour certainly didn't help him.

POM is here to stay but the same criteria that saw him start games for us doesn't apply to others is my main argument, not the player.

Barring injury I'd say the 6N's will be ROG's swansong.

Wallace was told to go on holiday and then called up at the last minute. If the IRFU wanted him there they could have dipped into the kitty to bring him.

Leamy retired due to a hip injury. Fact. Your thoughts on his health are irrelevant TBH.

I don't see a problem with POM on the bench.

The NZ tour was widely rumoured to have been run on a tight budget, all the scheduling seemed to indicate that also.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hyperbole, I'd say.

I get your point but to say he's never shown "anything remotely resembling the performance of an international player" is wrong considering he's actually had some very good games for Ireland.

Well that was a bit over the top just show the hyperbole and how (I think its not that far off being the truth). Anything remotely resembling what a player would normally have to do to cement themselves into the starting line-up. To get closer to the point.

I just see him being brought in on the back of very little, stay there while not actually stepping up to the job and then all but own the jersey because of what ? Whats he done to be in the mix at all let alone the keeping Reddan out ? I have seen nothing from him to suggest he's anything other than a good bet for the future. But I just dont understand why he's cemented into the squad.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    That's hyperbole right there

Murray looked very capable of international rugby a few times (first test against NZ example) and others he hasn't.

I'm not arguing that he should start. Reddan is the better player at the moment (but not by as much as some people would make you think). But at the same time Murray isn't the bumbling donkey he's made out to be by some posters annoyed at his continued selection over Reddan.

I know he's not a bumbling donkey, he's a decent player. But it just gets to me when I see people picking him in their squads (primarily Kidney) knowing full well he's not even of international standard. Let alone better than Reddan, and arguable should be competing with Marshall for game time.

He's been landed in at first choice 9 and now people think he's a valid option for international first choice 9. He's not, he's still a long way off it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think Leamy retired because his body just couldn't take the punishment anymore and playing in a mickey mouse summer tour certainly didn't help him.

He retired with a hip injury, not a shoulder one.

Anyway, do you seriously think that SOB would want to miss his only chance of ever touring NZ?
    POM is here to stay but the same criteria that saw him start games for us doesn't apply to others is my main argument, not the player.

POM is young and has leadership qualities which is badly needed for Ireland as once POC & Best retire, Ireland are lost for leaders. And with the attrition rate in the backrow, Ireland need as many as they can get.
    Barring injury I'd say the 6N's will be ROG's swansong.

Yes. And he probably would far prefer to be at home with his wife and kids (like D Humphreys was) than collecting splinters on the bench.
    Wallace was told to go on holiday and then called up at the last minute. If the IRFU wanted him there they could have dipped into the kitty to bring him.

Have you a link to say where he was told to go on holiday. From what he said himself he had been put on standby by the IRFU and he had been training away in Belfast up to going on holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

jm08 wrote: »
    Anyway, do you seriously think that SOB would want to miss his only chance of ever touring NZ?

So D. Kearney decided to miss his chance for the tour for his surgery??? You cant have it both ways (though you never stop trying).
    POM is young and has leadership qualities which is badly needed for Ireland as once POC & Best retire, Ireland are lost for leaders. And with the attrition rate in the backrow, Ireland need as many as they can get.

Grasping at straws now.
    Yes. And he probably would far prefer to be at home with his wife and kids (like D Humphreys was) than collecting splinters on the bench.

He should have been home with the family for the last year. He isnt being forced to go, I'm sure the IRFU would be happy if he said to them he wanted to opt out of the rest of his central contract (the length of which shouldnt have been given to him in the first place).

The fact Hurley has been brought in mean he's likely start at 15 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The fact Hurley has been brought in mean he's likely start at 15 ?

No, why would it? If Kidney wanted him to start at 15 he'd have been in the squad in the first place.

danthefan wrote: »
    No, why would it? If Kidney wanted him to start at 15 he'd have been in the squad in the first place.

Well he had Earls as FB cover, with BOD out and the fact Kidney has zero faith in Cave he might leave Earls at centre and call in a FB. Which he has done. Why else call in a FB as cover when a Centre is ruled out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Defies logic really. His selections for the squad make no sense sometimes.

Either Denis Hurley is good enough or he isn't. Either he is in contention to start or is there to run opposition.

Why call him up now? His options for FB cant still be up in the air can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Leamy retired due to a hip injury. Fact. Your thoughts on his health are irrelevant TBH.

I don't see a problem with POM on the bench.

The NZ tour was widely rumoured to have been run on a tight budget, all the scheduling seemed to indicate that also.

That was the offical reason alright. I merely pointed out how playing injured in meaningless summer tours doesn't do the players any good.

No issue with POM, as i stated already its the selection criteria not the player.

It sure seemed to be alright.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

If Madigan has international ambitions he may well have to move, Jackson and soon Keatley will be getting regular starts in the big games for their province, and while Sexton remains at Leinster Madigan won't be getting that.

I know it's good for his developement to stay with the likes of Schmidt and around such good players, and I was one who previously rubbished the idea that he should leave, but with all these young 10's getting the sort of exposure that he isn't, he will probably have to think about it soon.

I think he's just as talented as any other of our prospects at 10, although not as rounded as someone like Jackson, that control is something he will only learn with experience, and he has the sort of flair you can't teach.

Problem is, there isn't really anywhere to go (in Ireland). With ROG on the way out soon Munster still have Keatley and JJ, and PJ at Ulster seems to have locked that shirt down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd be surprised if Hurley starts at 15 for the SA game.

Probably will against Fiji though.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So D. Kearney decided to miss his chance for the tour for his surgery??? You cant have it both ways (though you never stop trying).

SOB was a guaranteed starter. Kearney was not.
    He should have been home with the family for the last year. He isnt being forced to go, I'm sure the IRFU would be happy if he said to them he wanted to opt out of the rest of his central contract (the length of which shouldnt have been given to him in the first place).

He wanted to opt out of the tour during the summer and he wasn't allowed and he had to travel. That is exactly the reason why he is on central contract - he can't do what David Humphreys did. When he said at the world cup he wanted to retire from international rugby, McNaughton was fairly quick to say he couldn't because he was under contract.

He retired with a hip injury, not a shoulder one.

Have you a link to say where he was told to go on holiday. From what he said himself he had been put on standby by the IRFU and he had been training away in Belfast up to going on holiday.

That was the offical reason alright. But playing while needing an op during a summer tour is pretty pointless.

I'd say your right about SOB but then why was Ferris left behind. They were both injured.

So we can discount Sexton, Heaslip, Ryan et al then. POM for the captains role if POC doesn't make the SA game. We have plenty of leaders on the team, what we lack is any sort of a gameplan to suit our strenghts.

Well ROG can always hang up the boots if thats what he wants to do. It would draw an end to a great career and he's been a fantastic servant. However nobody is holding a gun to his head to keep playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

29350820.jpg

That dude is cool. I love Ancient Aliens even if it's bellix...probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

29350820.jpg

That dude is cool. I love Ancient Aliens even if it's rubbish...probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well ROG can always hang up the boots if thats what he wants to do. It would draw an end to a great career and he's been a fantastic servant. However nobody is holding a gun to his head to keep playing.

ROG doesn't want to hang up his boots he wants to be able to stay in Ireland (Europe) and still play while getting his central contract

Supposedly after he announced his retirement he was told he couldn't because he was under contract and ROG suggested tearing it up and signing a new contract with Munster. He was offered about 40% of his central contract.

Well he had Earls as FB cover, with BOD out and the fact Kidney has zero faith in Cave he might leave Earls at centre and call in a FB. Which he has done. Why else call in a FB as cover when a Centre is ruled out ?

You need two centres for training purposes maybe? (and two fullbacks as well).

You need two centres for training purposes maybe? (and two fullbacks as well).

Considering they already had centres and FB cover that must mean someone is no longer an option for FB. So Earls is more than likely starting at 13 and Hurley is his replacement at FB. Not to say he'll start as it may be Bowe (or was Bowe ever really gonna be starting?) but either way I think Cave is out of the picture.

That was the offical reason alright. But playing while needing an op during a summer tour is pretty pointless.

I'd say your right about SOB but then why was Ferris left behind. They were both injured.

So we can discount Sexton, Heaslip, Ryan et al then. POM for the captains role if POC doesn't make the SA game. We have plenty of leaders on the team, what we lack is any sort of a gameplan to suit our strenghts.

Ferris was visibly in a bad way for the Heineken Cup games and clearly not fit to play.

Everyone was surprised that SOB had an op because he was able to play so well.

Who said anything about the captaincy - its about having lads with leadership qualities in your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Considering they already had centres and FB cover that must mean someone is no longer an option for FB. So Earls is more than likely starting at 13 and Hurley is his replacement at FB. Not to say he'll start as it may be Bowe (or was Bowe ever really gonna be starting?) but either way I think Cave is out of the picture.

Or maybe Earls mightn't be fit there might be complications, or even fears of complications and extra cover was needed

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd be very surprised if Hurley gets into the 23 for South Africa.

ROG doesn't want to hang up his boots he wants to be able to stay in Ireland (Europe) and still play while getting his central contract

Supposedly after he announced his retirement he was told he couldn't because he was under contract and ROG suggested tearing it up and signing a new contract with Munster. He was offered about 40% of his central contract.

Makes sense really, can't have players wanting it both ways.

• Advertisement

Ferris was visibly in a bad way for the Heineken Cup games and clearly not fit to play.

Everyone was surprised that SOB had an op because he was able to play so well.

Who said anything about the captaincy - its about having lads with leadership qualities in your team.

Wasn't SOB carrying the injury for a while though? Makes his performances all the more impressive really.

We have plenty of leaders in the team. It's a strawman to be honest. I'll say it again because this is the important bit, its not about POM or any other player, its about consistency in the selections that leaves the door open to any precieved bias that people have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement