Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I'd be very surprised if Hurley gets into the 23 for South Africa.
    So why draft him in? I would expect Jones and Dave Kearney to be playing FB this weekend, why not wait and see how they get on? If we're picking guys for Fiji, why not take a younger guy with potential to get to the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

JRant wrote: »
    Wasn't SOB carrying the injury for a while though? Makes his performances all the more impressive really.

He was. He carried it through the Heineken Cup final. Similar way that Leo Cullen needed surgery last year and he went for it after the January Heineken Cup games.
    We have plenty of leaders in the team. It's a strawman to be honest. I'll say it again because this is the important bit, its not about POM or any other player, its about consistency in the selections that leaves the door open to any precieved bias that people have.

So you think the most important thing isthat selection is seen to be fair by the supporters!:)

So why draft him in? I would expect Jones and Dave Kearney to be playing FB this weekend, why not wait and see how they get on? If we're picking guys for Fiji, why not take a younger guy with potential to get to the top?

And both those players will be with their provinces (as well as others like Gilroy & Ferris) until Monday. Meanwhile the Ireland squad are training in Dublin over the next couple of days.

O'Gara is also back with Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

jm08 wrote: »

He was. He carried it through the Heineken Cup final. Similar way that Leo Cullen needed surgery last year and he went for it after the January Heineken Cup games.

So you think the most important thing isthat selection is seen to be fair by the supporters!:)

And both those players will be with their provinces (as well as others like Gilroy & Ferris) until Monday. Meanwhile the Ireland squad are training in Dublin over the next couple of days.

The important thing is that the players know what it required to gain selection, end of. Have you any idea what this process entails?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

See that doesn't explain why Hurley is called up. Why do you post these random statements that add nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

See that doesn't explain why Hurley is called up. Why do you post these random statements that add nothing?

The Irish squad will need a second fullback to run through moves in training. Hurley was involved with the squad when they met up in September (I think) so he will be familiar with the setup and calls. He was an/the obvious addition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Keith Wood backing Sexton or POM for captaincy on OTB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

POM!? He shouldn't even be starting if ferris is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

POM is young and has leadership qualities which is badly needed for Ireland as once POC & Best retire, Ireland are lost for leaders.

Heaslip, Sexton, O'Driscoll, Kearney...

If POC isn't considered for captaincy due to his own injury/gametime/age concerns, we are really shorn of options. Outside of POC, POM and Heaslip would be the only recognised captains that have a chance of starting. I wouldn't really consider Sexton captain material as he is cut from a similarly petulant cloth as ROG.

Heaslip does an awful lot of talking on the field. I wouldn't really put him down as great captain material, but he is the best we have available. POM would probably be the best option for Figi. Although he is very niggly/combative on the field, he does seem to remain pretty calm with refs.

Edit: No idea how I added the question mark at the top or how to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Woody is very pissed off with Michael Bent parachuting into the squad, reflects a lot of supporters' thoughts IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If POC isn't captain then Heaslip is the stand out option. Still has a 100% record as Leinster captain, is guaranteed his place and is in top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

I'd prefer Sexton. O'Mahony has to be a joke, not even good enough to start in a full strength team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

He's just jumped the shark, tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Wouldn't like either of them at all. Sexton has enough on his plate. Outhalves play too much of a pivotal role to be handed more responsibility. Sexton would end up being too wound up. POM has a little bit of maturing to do before he's up to the task. He's still far too eager to get involved in handbags. Also, can't have a captain who isn't sure of his spot in the team.

If we're going to be without BOD, POC and Best, I can't see past Heaslip. He's a senior player, is regular captain of Leinster (undefeated still) and is a good talker who leads by example with his work rate. Not really any other genuine candidate that I can see.

fine with Bent being signed, not fine with him being in the Ireland squad straight away without even playing a game for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Heaslip has a 100% record as Leinster captain (although not many games, a few were H Cup) and if Leo goes next season I could definitely see him getting the role at Leinster.

If POC isn't captain for whatever reason, Heaslip a no brainer for me. POM will be doing well to start (and wouldn't be were it not for injuries), and has a grand total of 7 caps. Hasn't even captained Munster in a H Cup game to the best of my knowledge.

Woody is very pissed off with Michael Bent parachuting into the squad, reflects a lot of supporters' thoughts IMO.

Interesting. He was quite supportive of RS's call up last week.

I'd agree with him there. It's a sad state of affairs when a third rate Kiwi prop can stroll straight off the plane and into the squad. I thought it was very cynical of the IRFU to ensure that there was a photo opportunity of him with a hurley to try an ease the unrest too.

GerM wrote: »
    Interesting. He was quite supportive of RS's call up last week.

fairly different situations.

goreyguy wrote: »
    fairly different situations.

Obviously but it's generally a gauge of where someone's opinions are. Unusual to be supportive of one thing but to be the complete opposite on another that, whilst different, is in the same ballpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Swiwi wrote: »
    I agree that with Trimble you get reliable. With Zebo you might get an amazing try, but you also might get an error from inexperience that costs a game. I guess it's a philosophical issue...

Yes. It's a pity trimble can't score amazing tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Did anyone get the Wood's full 15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Heaslip does an awful lot of talking on the field. I wouldn't really put him down as great captain material

Why isn't he great captain material?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Blackheath wrote: »

His wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Any truth in the rumour that Bent is going to be captain???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes. It's a pity trimble can't score amazing tries.

Fair enough, it's a good try. Ain't seen it at international level yet, though. Not that I can recall anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Teferi wrote: »
    Why isn't he great captain material?

I don't see anything in Heaslips game/persona to suggest he has the necessary qualities to be an Irish captain.

Great player, just not a leader of men ala POC or BOD...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Heaslip does an awful lot of talking on the field. I wouldn't really put him down as great captain material

Unlike DOC, POC, POM, Murray, Earls, Kilcoyne, ROG, Hurley etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Heaslip is the obvious choice for captain really.

I think POM could be next in line though, he captained Munster the last day, he was ahead of MOD last season who was well-known for his leadership qualities.

Wouldn't give it to Sexton...none of the other backs strike me as obvious candidates. But Heaslip is a fine choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Blackheath wrote: »

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Ryan, POC, Ferris, POM, Heaslip;
    Reddan, Sexton, Zebo, McFadden, Earls, Bowe, Jones

(IIRC)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement