Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

danthefan wrote: »
    Are you lying or can you just not remember what you posted a few minutes ago?

Ah now Dan...those two things mean completely different things and I'm sure you know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ah now Dan...those two things mean completely different things and I'm sure you know that.

You'll have to explain that one. He clearly says he doesn't think Heaslip is captain material, then denies he said Heaslip wasn't captain material. It's about as clear cut as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

There appears to be a lot of selective illiteracy around these parts over the last few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

durkadurka wrote: »
    No. Over the last two years or so, If its a big game , and Cullen doesn't play, then heaslip is captain.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I can see Cullen has started every HCup game bar 2 since the 08/09 season. Jennings was usually captain when Leo wasn't there and he started those two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ugh it's getting tedious now, basically:

Without POC = Heaslip will be captain, even if some people don't think he is a long-term option there

With POC = Heaslip won't be captain

We may never need to have this argument for real as Heaslip is stuck behind so many good leaders while in his prime, Best/POC/BOD will take their time to retire, by which time a better option may have come around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

You'll have to explain that one. He clearly says he doesn't think Heaslip is captain material, then denies he said Heaslip wasn't captain material. It's about as clear cut as you can get.

I think the best way to address this point is to refer back to a previous post on this thread...
    He's just jumped the shark, tragic.

This argument has descended pretty badly (especially since in theory, we're all in agreement) but saying someone is not great captain material is not the same as saying they are not captain material at all.

Like...NOC is not a great player...but he's still a player (although jaco might disagree :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you lying or can you just not remember what you posted a few minutes ago?

Seeing as Ireland are depending so much on SA the moment maybe we need to get this lot involved.

What the **** are you guys smoking?

So, to change the topic a bit...

That Ferris fella is great, isn't he? (Is that something we can all agree on?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Why? No one seems to be able to give a rational reason as to why they aren't a fan of him as a captain.
    He doesn't have a massive amount of captaincy experience and I would prefer that he had a year as Leinster captain before captaining his country.

That said he is the best option if the last three Irish captains (BOD, POC and Best) are injured.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jm08 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I can see Cullen has started every HCup game bar 2 since the 08/09 season. Jennings was usually captain when Leo wasn't there and he started those two games.

Heaslip was captain for the two HEC games Cullen missed (home to Racing and away to Saracens).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Unreal! Near shoe in for the Lions if he's near top form!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Only in there because of Kidney's Ulster bias, Jordi Murphy clearly far more deserving based on his 2 rabo appearances, gym rat who doesn't have the skills to be a top class player

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

jm08 wrote: »

You appear to be confirming my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Stuck for a full back?

There's this fella playing over in the West, went to Roscrea, captains one of the Provinces, Connacht.

Yeah, I'm talking about Gavin Duffy.

I can't for the life of me understand why, when an out and out fullback is needed, he isn't utilized.

I'm all for blooding new players etc, but what's the point if they are being played out of position?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Stuck for a full back?

There's this fella playing over in the West, went to Roscrea, captains one of the Provinces, Connacht.

Yeah, I'm talking about Gavin Duffy.

I can't for the life of me understand why, when an out and out fullback is needed, he isn't utilized.

I'm all for blooding new players etc, but what's the point if they are being played out of position?

He's injured.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Duffy is injured is he not? Hasn't played in over a month.

Duffy's been in plenty of Ireland squads before, albeit with limited gametime. If he was fit, he'd probably be picked.

But he's injured, Jones is just back from injury, Murphy is retired...

And Henshaw has been really excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Feck, was offside there so & just went in a rant.

He should have more caps than he has though.

Henshaw has been playing well.

It'll certainly Bevan interesting Autumn series in terms of selection if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I tend to lurk on these threads before posting so here's my thoughts...

It's now clear that Jones isn't being considered for the Springboks match. So that would imply that Earls and Bowe are the main candidates for the 15 jersey. Kidney hasn't ousted Bowe from the right wing in years and i can't see him doing it now, especially when Earls has more experience at full back. I'd also expect to see Zebo ahead of Trimble on the other wing. That leaves Cave at 13 by default.
    I know some people will point out how Kidney picked McFadden at 13 for the 6N but Cave was injured then. Simple as.
    I'm also expecting Reddan to start. Murray was always ok to good last year for munster but this year his play has been undeniably poor at times. While Reddan hasn't exactly been amazing he's been more consistent at his basic roles.

Moving to the forwards, I personally hope that Cronin starts. My reason being that it's tough for any player to start their first test, but against your home nation it'd be incredibly tough. I fully believe that Strauss will give us everything he's got and be a great player in green. But given that he's untested at test level i just think it's a bit much to expect from the guy. Added to the fact that the Boks will field a huge pack i think Cronin's extra size and speed will be useful.

I dearly hope Henry starts at 7. He's far and away our best option.

So basically i'm expecting to see:

Healy, Cronin, Ross, Ryan, POC (C), Ferris, Henry, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Zebo, D'Arcy, Cave, Bowe, Earls

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    So basically i'm expecting to see:

Healy, Cronin, Ross, Ryan, POC (C), Ferris, Henry, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Zebo, D'Arcy, Cave, Bowe, Earls

Well, I'd like to see that. Not sure it's what we will see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Did I say that Heaslip shouldn't be captain? I clearly stated he is the best option we have available.

Its amazing the amount of responses a post can garner from people who didn't (couldn't?) read it...

Good lad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

At the open training session they seemed to be trying out Zebo at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/1031/1224325965990.html

"Ulster prop Declan Fitzpatrick suffered a setback in his comeback from a concussion sustained last Friday night and will now be rested until Monday before undergoing testing procedures"

There dropping like flies. Fitzpatrick is leaving it close as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

leftleg wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/1031/1224325965990.html

"Ulster prop Declan Fitzpatrick suffered a setback in his comeback from a concussion sustained last Friday night and will now be rested until Monday before undergoing testing procedures"

There dropping like flies. Fitzpatrick is leaving it close as well.

Well it's the right thing to do with regards to concussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

slowburner wrote: »
    At the open training session they seemed to be trying out Zebo at 15.

Happy to hear it. I don't think he has ever played there at any significant level but many elements of his game suit the role perfectly from what I can see. He has a massive boot, he's good under the high ball and he is a good runner from deep. Not too sure about his last line of defence tackling but I'm not sure about Rob Kearney's either so we'll forgive him that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

In other news the jersey to play SA is revolting,

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3558_8216642,00.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement