Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Theta wrote: »
    In other news the jersey to play SA is revolting,

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3558_8216642,00.html

I think its nice, I might even buy it and I rarely buy jerseys. Better than the plain old white anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Scioch wrote: »
    I think its nice, I might even buy it and I rarely buy jerseys. Better than the plain old white anyway.

Since when is black an Irish colour though? Black seems to be the new black...even England had a black away strip last year.

I realise SA has a green strip, so you need something different, but black?

I guess white & orange are the other Irish colours, but Holland has a monopoly on orange, and white strips are a dime a dozen.

The good think with black (unlike white) is that the mud stains do fade in the wash...and any Guinness or Heinken spilt on the top won't leave a permanent stain...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Nice looking jersey. Will probably get one.

Swiwi wrote: »
    Since when is black an Irish colour though? Black seems to be the new black...even England had a black away strip last year.

I realise SA has a green strip, so you need something different, but black?

I guess white & orange are the other Irish colours, but Holland has a monopoly on orange, and white strips are a dime a dozen.

The good think with black (unlike white) is that the mud stains do fade in the wash...and any Guinness or Heinken spilt on the top won't leave a permanent stain...

White isnt really an Irish colour either its just white, and orange is tied more to the tri color than anything else. As far as the Irish rugby team goes green is the only real Irish colour. This cant be green so you go with a default colour of white or black with bits of green. We had white for one long enough and its nice to see a black one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Noopti wrote: »
    Nice looking jersey. Will probably get one.

Its the lines across the front I think aren't nice, its just odd looking.

• Advertisement

Scioch wrote: »
    White isnt really an Irish colour either its just white, and orange is tied more to the tri color than anything else. As far as the Irish rugby team goes green is the only real Irish colour. This cant be green so you go with a default colour of white or black with bits of green. We had white for one long enough and its nice to see a black one.

Yeah, I guess Orange has all those William of Orange connotations, and as you say white is not really an Irish colour either. I guess Guinness is black...

The other option I can see, given SA's jersey is very dark green, is to go back to the fluoro green of the '90s...

...but I think most people would agree black is a better option in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I like it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It'll be weird seeing us wearing black.... Kinda hate the way we've jumped on that bandwagon also! Still, I'll reserve judgement til I see it in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The black training jersey from a few years ago was popular so not surprised to see it used.

Nice looking jersey, will pick one up.

.ak wrote: »
    It'll be weird seeing us wearing black.... Kinda hate the way we've jumped on that bandwagon also! Still, I'll reserve judgement til I see it in the flesh.

No doubt the IRFU have jumped on the bandwagon but I dont really mind as its something I would have wanted anyway regardless of whatever everyone else was doing.

If the bandwagon is heading your way ya might as well hitch a ride !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

if all the boards members chip in a penny you could buy me that ireland jersey...cheers guys ill see it at christmas! p.s. in medium fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Blut2

There've been some nice Irish black jereys in the past, too.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dTnkMHYX8m4/TEomyoPGMhI/AAAAAAAABIA/6hxHDEVFxqg/s1600/IMG_0096.JPG

is one I have in my wardrobe that I rather like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

[pedantic] that's navy [/pedantic]

I don't like the lines across it. It will be interesting to see the supporters version in person, then I'll make my decision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The Healy rumours are looking more true as he sat out training again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I tend to lurk on these threads before posting so here's my thoughts...

It's now clear that Jones isn't being considered for the Springboks match. So that would imply that Earls and Bowe are the main candidates for the 15 jersey. Kidney hasn't ousted Bowe from the right wing in years and i can't see him doing it now, especially when Earls has more experience at full back. I'd also expect to see Zebo ahead of Trimble on the other wing. That leaves Cave at 13 by default.
    I know some people will point out how Kidney picked McFadden at 13 for the 6N but Cave was injured then. Simple as.
    I'm also expecting Reddan to start. Murray was always ok to good last year for munster but this year his play has been undeniably poor at times. While Reddan hasn't exactly been amazing he's been more consistent at his basic roles.

Moving to the forwards, I personally hope that Cronin starts. My reason being that it's tough for any player to start their first test, but against your home nation it'd be incredibly tough. I fully believe that Strauss will give us everything he's got and be a great player in green. But given that he's untested at test level i just think it's a bit much to expect from the guy. Added to the fact that the Boks will field a huge pack i think Cronin's extra size and speed will be useful.

I dearly hope Henry starts at 7. He's far and away our best option.

So basically i'm expecting to see:

Healy, Cronin, Ross, Ryan, POC (C), Ferris, Henry, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Zebo, D'Arcy, Cave, Bowe, Earls

Not a hope in hell that Murray won't start unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hagz wrote: »

:(

Anyone know what the story with Earls is?

I don't mind Healy missing the games so long as he's okay for the 6N... and Clermont. ;)

Hagz wrote: »

I think that Healy missing a game might be a good idea tbh. We've finally got some competition for places behind him, lets give them a go!

I think that Healy missing a game might be a good idea tbh. We've finally got some competition for places behind him, lets give them a go!

Yeah but we've lost so many certain starters already...and there is a drop-off in quality. Court is solid but Healy is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Don't risk healy please.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Kilcoyne given a shot. He's been brilliant. Jack McGrath isn't too far behind him, but I'd hate to see him rushed tbh.

I'd like to see Kilcoyne given a shot. He's been brilliant. Jack McGrath isn't too far behind him, but I'd hate to see him rushed tbh.

I'd say Court is ahead of Kilcoyne and Buckley is ahead of McGrath. Although McGrath probably has the potential to surpass them all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ireland used to have a nice black training jersey but that's gone now. I'm not a fan of the stripes on this one.

SA must really like coming here....we always put on a fashion show just for them :pac:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ireland used to have a nice black training jersey but that's gone now. I'm not a fan of the stripes on this one.

SA must really like coming here....we always put on a fashion show just for them :pac:

I'm sure the stripes have a purpose - no doubt cutting-edge NASA technology that makes the players run 0.001s faster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Swiwi wrote: »
    I'm sure the stripes have a purpose - no doubt cutting-edge NASA technology that makes the players run 0.001s faster.

Nah.....they're just Fabulous :pac:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Nah.....they're just Fabulous :pac:

Under the influence of beer goggles, those stripes might pass for 6-pack abs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

If Foley is coaching the forwards-what is Gert Small doing? He is still listed as forwards coach on the Irish Rugby site?..

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

dont know if its been mentioned already but apparently michael bent qualifies for wales aswell think his dad or grandfather is from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Quint2010 wrote: »
    If Foley is coaching the forwards-what is Gert Small doing? He is still listed as forwards coach on the Irish Rugby site?..

Foley's the defence coach, not forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

dont know if its been mentioned already but apparently michael bent qualifies for wales aswell think his dad or grandfather is from there

The stuff I read said his grandfather was a pilot with the New Zealand airforce (so presumably a kiwi) who met his grandmother from Rathmines while stationed in Wales.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement