Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Just reading the comments from Kidney yesterday, I think the team is going to be:

Jones
    Bowe
    Earls
    D'Arcy
    Zebo
    Sexton
    Murray
    Healy (if fit, Court if not)
    Strauss
    Ross
    POC (if fit, Tuohy if not)
    Ryan
    Ferris (if fit, POM if not)
    POM (Henry if Ferris not fit)
    Heaslip

Bench; Cronin, Court/Kilcoyne, Bent, DOC, Henry, Reddan, ROG, Trimble

I think playing POM ahead of Henry at 7 would be a ridiculous call but I don't see any circumstances in which POM won't start the game against SA.

It's very obvious from DK's comments yesterday that Earls is going to be at 13 so that leaves no clear favourite for full-back; Hurley is not a credible candidate IMO so if Jones comes through tonight uninjured and doesn't have a total shocker, he'll play against the Boks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just reading the comments from Kidney yesterday, I think the team is going to be:

Jones
    Bowe
    Earls
    D'Arcy
    Zebo
    Sexton
    Murray
    Strauss
    Ross
    Ryan
    Heaslip

I think playing POM ahead of Henry at 7 would be a ridiculous call but I don't see any circumstances in which POM won't start the game against SA.

It's very obvious from DK's comments yesterday that Earls is going to be at 13 so that leaves no clear favourite for full-back; Hurley is not a credible candidate IMO so if Jones comes through tonight uninjured and doesn't have a total shocker, he'll play against the Boks.

This makes the initial FB selection a total joke. If Kidney had no interest in using Cave as back-up centre then having Earls as the only FB and the only cover for BOD is just mind boggling.

As for POM, I'm expecting him to start ahead of Henry. It'll be completely the wrong call, but at this stage I have such little faith in Kidney that nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I'd expect them to kick a lot but I doubt Steyn will be playing given he lost his place in the rugby championship

Who did he lose his place to? Goosen? I think I read that Goosen is injured. Anyway either way whether it's Steyn or not I don't think they'll be shy about testing our back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

leftleg wrote: »
    All the article in the indo said was Sexton MAY be captain and Earls MAY be 13 and nothing about ROG coming on to "close the game out". Lets just deal with facts and not "solid assumptions". What Kidney has done previous is previous. The guy treats every game like the new dawn of his tenure. And please stop with the "there will be some who are still in the "wait and see", "Kidney can change" he'll learn from his mistakes" Im talking about selections here not Kidneys previous mistakes.

That's the logic that had Kidney spending years trying to turn Buckley into an international standard prop. Sure his previous is his previous, he has all the raw materials to make it so lets give him another go in the next match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

From what the indo says it does look like it will be the auld chestnut of ROG to 10 and Sexton to 12, but you just never know with Kidney with his back to the wall. The guy has never failed to troll us before, whats stopping him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

molloyjh wrote: »
    This makes the initial FB selection a total joke. If Kidney had no interest in using Cave as back-up centre then having Earls as the only FB and the only cover for BOD is just mind boggling.

As for POM, I'm expecting him to start ahead of Henry. It'll be completely the wrong call, but at this stage I have such little faith in Kidney that nothing would surprise me.

I really don't think he trusts Cave for whatever reason, gave him 7 mins at the end of the first test v NZ when the game was well and truly over and then he was never seen again.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That's the logic that had Kidney spending years trying to turn Buckley into an international standard prop. Sure his previous is his previous, he has all the raw materials to make it so lets give him another go in the next match.

no it didnt Kidney and small and mcgahan all thought Buckley was a prop. He never had the materials to make it as a prop. Too tall, pron to lapses in concentration, bad technique. Kidney has made plenty of mistakes selection wise and this selection could be no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Jones
    Bowe
    Earls
    D'Arcy
    Zebo
    Sexton
    Murray
    Strauss
    Ross
    Ryan
    Heaslip

Jebus I hope not. Two ulster starters from the form Rabo and Irish teams is quite frankly a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Don't know if I'd like to see Zebo play his first ever game at 15 against SA. Could go very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Winters wrote: »

Ive stopped hoping he'll change too and Ive stopped watching interviews with Kidney.

I'm not a fan of his demeanor on TV at all. Really doesn't make it easy on fans to get excited for a game.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/734/343977/
    Eh? What do you want him to do, cartwheels & jazz hands?

• Advertisement

Lelantos wrote: »

Watch somone like Lancaster or Schmidt when they're interviewed, informative and enthusastic, and much more full of life in general when compared to someone like Kidney.

Kidney can do what he likes in front of the media and his lack of charisma isn't important in the bigger picture, but it would be nice to have a coach who was a little more open.

Tell the truth and not speak in riddles and so-called "Kidney speak" for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is the 23 man squads being trialled for these games? I forget..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Yup they are.

Jones
    Bowe
    Earls
    D'Arcy
    Zebo
    Sexton
    Murray
    Strauss
    Ross
    Ryan
    Heaslip

Sweet jesus. Only DK can turn a single injury into an absolute crisis. I'd love to see:

15. Earls
    14. Bowe
    13. Cave
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Trimble
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Heaslip
    07. Henry
    06. Ferris (POM if not fit)
    05. POC (Touhy if not fit)
    04. Ryan
    03. Ross
    02. Strauss
    01. Healy/Court

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Jebus I hope not. Two ulster starters from the form Rabo and Irish teams is quite frankly a joke.
    Well it's not like all those saffers can play for Ireland :p

ray jay wrote: »

You better hope Jaco isn't within earshot..

.ak wrote: »
    Sweet jesus. Only DK can turn a single injury into an absolute crisis. I'd love to see:
    </p>
    He's getting his excuses in early. If we get beaten against SA, he can say "sure we were missing loads of players, I've been developing a squad for ages now but what can I do, if only the provinces didn't sign so many foreigners..."The IRFU will buy him a brandy, reminisce about Cardiff 2009 and give him a four-year extension.

ray jay wrote: »

Yeah, I'm sick of BJ Botha and Wian du Preez holding back Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

.ak wrote: »

15. Earls
    14. Bowe
    13. Cave
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Trimble
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Heaslip
    07. Henry
    06. Ferris (POM if not fit)
    05. POC (Touhy if not fit)
    04. Ryan
    03. Ross
    02. Strauss
    01. Healy/Court

What's your reasoning of Trimble over Zebo and Murray over Reddan ak?

I'm curious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

</p>
    He's getting his excuses in early. If we get beaten against SA, he can say "sure we were missing loads of players, I've been developing a squad for ages now but what can I do, if only the provinces didn't sign so many foreigners..."The IRFU will buy him a brandy, reminisce about Cardiff 2009 and give him a four-year extension.

So close to the truth its frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, I'm sick of BJ Botha and Wian du Preez holding back Ireland.

Ha with the arrival of CJ Stander Munster now have more Saffers than Ulster!

Ulster actually have more Kiwis than Saffers now anyway assuming we still count Payne as NIQ like I've counted Stander.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

clsmooth wrote: »
    I'm a big fan on Sexton but don't think he should be captain. I'd have Heaslip ahead of him. Along with the burden of calling all the shots along with managing the game and kicking, I think he might be too snappy with the referee. When he plays he's a bit of a spiky character as it is and the referee needs be spoken to with care. For the same reason I wouldn't have POM as captain either at the moment (that and he isn't up to international level as yet IMO)
    Heaslip is no better than Sexton with his demeanor. I really don't like it.

bilston wrote: »
    Ha with the arrival of CJ Stander Munster now have more Saffers than Ulster!

Ulster actually have more Kiwis than Saffers now anyway assuming we still count Payne as NIQ like I've counted Stander.

It's an interesting point though. Ulster got so much stick last season, but assuming Stander is as good as he's supposed to be, Munster could have five NIQs in their first-choice XV, just like Ulster did. It's a pity Hugh Farrelly is gone, I'd be interested to see what he made of that, or indeed the rest of the media.With Strauss now qualified, the Leinster first-choice XV would have only one NIQ (Nacewa); long time since that happened at any of the provinces I'd say.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    What's your reasoning of Trimble over Zebo and Murray over Reddan ak?

I'm curious!

They were the two picks that took me a while to mull over. For me, Trimble is a big unit and will suit the SA game perfectly. He's got a great boot on him and I think we'll need to play for territory. Zebo's someone I'd like to see playing Australia or a team that's light on the pillars.

For me, I still think Reddan is currently a better SH than Murray. However, he won't have fond memories of playing SA in LR, and I think they'd target him. Murray has been playing decently (Racing aside), and I think he'd be a bit of an unknown for them. If he can continue to improve his service he's all the potential of being a decent international.

Ideally I'd like Boss for the game, but he's been off the boil and is not involved with the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »

Hang on. Where did Kidney ever say he was selecting Earls as a full back?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Jesus no, what a sight! :D

Be open and truthful. Explain his selections. He's very condescending in his answers. As someone else says, he speaks in riddles. At least PdV had the excuse of English not being his first answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's an interesting point though. Ulster got so much stick last season, but assuming Stander is as good as he's supposed to be, Munster could have five NIQs in their first-choice XV, just like Ulster did. It's a pity Hugh Farrelly is gone, I'd be interested to see what he made of that, or indeed the rest of the media.With Strauss now qualified, the Leinster first-choice XV would have only one NIQ (Nacewa); long time since that happened at any of the provinces I'd say.

Kilcoyne might have overtaken Du Preez at this stage, and we're still to see whether Earls will overtake Laulala.

But I see your point.

It's a pity Hugh Farrelly is gone

Take it back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I personally would chose Heaslip over Sexton purely for the fact that to beat SA, Ireland will need a monumental forward display, and a captain leading by example (eg McCaw) in this regard can spur the troops on. If Ireland is on the backfoot, it would be a bit hard for Sexton to do this, whereas Heaslip could be in a position to rally the team. Also, if Sexton happens to have an off-day with the boot, such that O'Gara or another kicker is required, then he would have to move out to 12 in order to stay on the field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement