Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Clegg wrote: »
    Who else was he going to pick then? Everyone else is injured. Henderson and Mc Carthy wouldn't have gotten a look in if POC was fit. Henry wouldn't be in the squad either if SOB and Ferris were fit. Strauss is Irish qualified and is clearly the second best hooker in the country.

This was a default selection from Kidney. He's still persisting with ROG and DOC even though both clearly have nothing positive to offer at international level.
    The only choice that wasn't induced by injury there is Kilcoyne!!

I'm not saying it's a radical bit of selection by Kidney; he's not that kind of coach and is unlikely to ever be. Neither was O'Sullivan. But, it is certainly new. 6 players with just 3 caps between them, against a top 3 side in the world.

You'd think people who were clamouring for less conservatism would be happy with that. Not so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Ireland: 15 Simon Zebo, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Keith Earls, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Andrew Trimble, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip (C), 7 Chris Henry, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 5 Mike McCarthy, 4 Donnacha Ryan, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Richardt Strauss, 1 Cian Healy.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Dave Kilcoyne, 18 Michael Bent, 19 Donncha O'Callaghan, 20 Iain Henderson, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Ronan O'Gara, 23 Fergus McFadden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Swiwi wrote: »
    Ireland: 15 Simon Zebo, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Keith Earls, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Andrew Trimble, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip (C), 7 Chris Henry, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 5 Mike McCarthy, 4 Donnacha Ryan, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Richardt Strauss, 1 Cian Healy.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Dave Kilcoyne, 18 Michael Bent, 19 Donncha O'Callaghan, 20 Iain Henderson, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Ronan O'Gara, 23 Fergus McFadden.

Are you abroad? This was posted hours ago. But If its a clever post to get people to talk about the 23 players only you are a genius. :pac:

ssaye wrote: »
    Are you abroad? This was posted hours ago. But If its a clever post to get people to talk about the 23 players only you are a genius. :pac:

My mistake. As they say, to err is human to forgive divine - hopefully you'll let me off.

And since you ask, no I was working...

I'll take the genius bit, thanks.

I'm just itchy for the friggin AB team to get named, so I got a rush of blood to the head in the excitement of seeing the Irish one:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

To me, the autumn internationals are the time to give some players an opportunity. This is what Kidney has done. We may not all agree with the players that he has chosen to bring in but there are two more matches to go.

I am looking forward to how Zebo, McCarthy, O'Mahoney and Henry get on. I particularly hope that Henderson gets a run.

The only really contentious issue for me is the continued selection of Murray. He's clearly not good enough and has had more than enough opportunities.

As for O'Gara on the bench - words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Kidney was forced into most of this "experimentation"

I'll give him credit for playing mccarthy ahead of DOC, but realistically who else was their for number 7?

O'Mahony was a lock to play 6 the minute Ferris pulled up, considering Kidney's love affair with him.

And Zebo is a huge gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Re Zebo vs Kearney et al, I would say Zebo increases the chance of a massive loss
    - but also the small chance of a win. I would like to see us risking a shellacking and going for it.

I don't know, he's good under the high ball. If we're relying on our 15's tackling, we're in trouble already.

IMO, it's O'Driscoll rather than Kearney that's the biggest loss. Even when quiet/on poor form the backs as a unit always seem to go up a level when he's on the field.

+1 on giving it a lash.

goreyguy wrote: »
    Kidney was forced into most of this "experimentation"

I'll give him credit for playing mccarthy ahead of DOC, but realistically who else was their for number 7?

O'Mahony was a lock to play 6 the minute Ferris pulled up, considering Kidney's love affair with him.

And Zebo is a huge gamble.

There is a glass half full/half empty way of looking at this.

Yes Zebo is a huge gamble but what options were there that are not huge gambles? Madigan and Keatley would both also be huge gambles. Jones and Hurley are not International standard and never will be. This gamble may pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

who_me wrote: »

I'm not saying it's a radical bit of selection by Kidney; he's not that kind of coach and is unlikely to ever be. Neither was O'Sullivan. But, it is certainly new. 6 players with just 3 caps between them, against a top 3 side in the world.

You'd think people who were clamouring for less conservatism would be happy with that. Not so.

I don't think anyone was demanding change for the sake of it. People were angry about the failure to plan beyond the next game, and this is as pure a symptom of that failure as you can get. Facing the best team in the world that doesn't wear black, in a game whose outcome could determine the difficulty of our group for the next World Cup, we're fielding Strauss, McCarthy, O'Mahony, Henry, Zebo, Bent and Kilcoyne with no real idea of how they're likely to perform in this environment. This is the result of Kidney's approach: faced with injuries to Best, POC, Ferris, BOD and Kearney (all of whom have had injury layoffs with Ireland before), we have to send in the untried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

MLC61 wrote: »

Yes Zebo is a huge gamble but what options were there that are not huge gambles? Madigan and Keatley would both also be huge gambles. Jones and Hurley are not International standard and never will be. This gamble may pay off

I agree that everyone available were gambles, so the Zebo pick is a fine one because it could turn into something very good.

Hard to say Jones will never be international standard, but Hurley obviously isn't.

I still don't see why Earls couldnt have played 15 and Cave 13.

Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeebo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Delighted for Zebo, hope he has a stormer!!

This has no rugby relevance, but us he the first mixed race/black Irish international?

goreyguy wrote: »
    I agree that everyone available were gambles, so the Zebo pick is a fine one because it could turn into something very good.

Hard to say Jones will never be international standard, but Hurley obviously isn't.

I still don't see why Earls couldnt have played 15 and Cave 13.

Earls at 15 again would be a gamble. And a stop gap one. Zebo could turn into a realistic rival to Kearney and this may turn out to be a far sighted stroke of genius ( ok a long shot but we can hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Benny Cake wrote: »

This has no rugby relevance, but us he the first mixed race/black Irish international?

It's not his first cap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

It's not his first cap ;)

I know. That wasn't my question....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

who_me wrote: »
    I don't know, he's good under the high ball. If we're relying on our 15's tackling, we're in trouble already.

IMO, it's O'Driscoll rather than Kearney that's the biggest loss. Even when quiet/on poor form the backs as a unit always seem to go up a level when he's on the field.

+1 on giving it a lash.

Sorry, I meant D. Kearney there (or Hurley, Madigan etc.) who I think would be sound enough at FB without setting the Thames on fire. The Boks will have to pay a little more attention to our attacks from our half with the back three we are fielding esp. Zebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I know. That wasn't my question....
    No, Leo Cullen beat him to it, part human, part klingon

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

MLC61 wrote: »

I was expecting to see Bowe at full back and Zebo on the wing. That in my mind would have been the less risky choice for Kidney. Not that I'm complaining. I had a lot of question marks over Zebo last year and he's been consistently improving. It will be great if we can develop him in the full back role. He could be very exciting in the role. With Kearney and Jones both injury prone we need to develop a long term alternative.

chippers wrote: »
    I was expecting to see Bowe at full back and Zebo on the wing. That in my mind would have been the less risky choice for Kidney. Not that I'm complaining. I had a lot of question marks over Zebo last year and he's been consistently improving. It will be great if we can develop him in the full back role. He could be very exciting in the role. With Kearney and Jones both injury prone we need to develop a long term alternative.

On current form, its a pity Payne is not currently ready for full back/centre cover. He will be 29 I think by the time he is eligible for Ireland so I hope Zebo or someone Irish else comes through instead by that stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Think Chris Saverimutto was of Indian origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Heroditas

On current form, its a pity Payne is not currently ready for full back/centre cover. He will be 29 I think by the time he is eligible for Ireland so I hope Zebo or someone Irish else comes through instead by that stage

Plenty of options anyway - Jones, Kearney, Henshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

what is this feeling... im quite happy with this team .....i dont understand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

Think Chris Saverimutto was of Indian origins.

Sri Lankan father IIRC

Heroditas wrote: »
    Plenty of options anyway - Jones, Kearney, Henshaw

I was really only thinking for the next few weeks but the future is bright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Anyone doing a match thread write-up?

nerd69 wrote: »
    what is this feeling... im quite happy with this team .....i dont understand :)

Thats it, lets get the positivity up until Saturday night at least:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone doing a match thread write-up?

I don't have the time at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Agree, i'm delighted to see Zebo starting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I'd prefer to have Keatley in there on the bench instead of O'Gara. Although these internationals are only test games, i'd like to see Keatley getting match time before the 6nations campaign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement