Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Teferi wrote: »
    This is always good craic, had a good laugh at the last one I was in.

In one I'm split in two while working in press area and in the other, I look simply peeved at the Welsh carry on in the breakdown (am in Nth tunnel).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Justin, can you assure us that the PA at the game will not be cringeworthy?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 salientsix

JustinDee wrote: »
    Mainly Taupo but is also doing some representitive coaching with selection from NZ Heartlands comp.

Now working directly for NZRFU as you say above in an asst role & still involved with Kings Country as head coach.....massive loss to rugby here imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Justin, can you assure us that the PA at the game will not be cringeworthy?

:p

29914656.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Why Keatley rather than Jackson or Madigan??

I'm a huge admirer of Madigan, i wasn't too impressed with him at full back for Leinster. I predict he'll overtake Sexton as the number 1 pick for outhalf for Leinster (and inevitably Ireland) within the next 2 years.

To be honest it's a close call between madigan & keatley to be the 2nd choice outhalf, i'd just give the edge to keatley. (Yes, i'm a Leinster fan;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

ssaye wrote: »
    Massively unlikely we lose and Scotland win for rankings sake but these SA and Argentina games are not only test games, they are important imo.

I would have Jackson ahead of Keatley atm too. Keatley has been good in 1/2 positions but Jackson has been very good when playing 10.

I dunno about that, Jackson's only 20, yes he looks an exciting player and definitely has a bright future but i think he lacks the experience ahead of madigan and keatley. Didnt think about the rankings so fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    I'm a huge admirer of Madigan, i wasn't too impressed with him at full back for Leinster. I predict he'll overtake Sexton as the number 1 pick for outhalf for Leinster (and inevitably Ireland) within the next 2 years.

To be honest it's a close call between madigan & keatley to be the 2nd choice outhalf, i'd just give the edge to keatley. (Yes, i'm a Leinster fan;))

Interesting...

I wasn't overly impressed with Madigan at 15 but he did okay...but I can't see him overtaking Sexton within 2 years tbh. It's possible, but it'll take a huge improvement.

Don't think there's much between Madigan and Keatley... Madigan is probably better in attack (though Keatley's still good) but Keatley's kicking game is better, and may have the edge with decision-making too. Both are strong in defence.

But I'd have both behind Jackson tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Madigan has loads to work on before he is close to being as good as sexy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Hard to know with Madigan. Jackson is developing a lot like Sexton did I think. He came on the scene as a young guy and was steady and impressive at under age, make the transition to provincial and then stepped up to Heineken cup level when it was asked of him. This season he's becoming more assure and starting to control games. Keatley seems to be doing similar.

Madigan though is being forced to take a completely different route. He hasnt gotten the same chance to mature into the 10 role that the others have and he's been lumped into FB to provide cover and get game time. Ok to a point but if he was starting at 10 he'd be developing into a 10 like the others. Whether he'll benefit more in the long run by developing his attacking game before his game management I dont know.

But I cant see him usurping Sexton any time soon, or cracking the Irish squad ahead of Jackson or Keatley. In the long run though I expect he'll come out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Scioch wrote: »
    Madigan though is being forced to take a completely different route. He hasnt gotten the same chance to mature into the 10 role that the others have and he's been lumped into FB to provide cover and get game time. Ok to a point but if he was starting at 10 he'd be developing into a 10 like the others. Whether he'll benefit more in the long run by developing his attacking game before his game management I dont know.
    Jesus, he's played a couple of matches at fullback while Kearney and Nacewa are injured. That's hardly a significant interruption to his development. As mentioned above, there are aspects of his game he need to put some serious work into if he's to surpass Sexton.

• Advertisement

EDIT: wrong topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

ray jay wrote: »
    Jesus, he's played a couple of matches at fullback while Kearney and Nacewa are injured. That's hardly a significant interruption to his development. As mentioned above, there are aspects of his game he need to put some serious work into if he's to surpass Sexton.

He's second choice behind Sexton, his starts are coming at FB and only due to injury. Thats not really an ideal way to develop an out half is it ? Nor will it lead to anything other than another season behind Sexton at Leinster. He'll get to work on those aspects of his game but he wont develop them nowhere near as fast as the other two.

Compared to Jackson and Keatley who will end the season having played a lot of HC rugby and clear first choices in their respective squads having continued to improve and mature into starting 10's. Madigan is at a distinct disadvantage. He hasnt a hope in hell of going anywhere this season, unlike the other two who will be competing to get a run in the 6 nations and taking ROG's spot when his time is up. Since the start of the season Madigan has dropped behind both Jackson and Keatley simply because he isnt playing regular high level rugby at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

ray jay wrote: »

But he needs to be starting games regularly to put in that "serious work". He will get plenty of Rabo games and that's fine to an extent, but there comes a time where he needs to step up and play H Cup regularly (at 10).

He's not going to play for Ireland on the basis of starts in the Rabo, so there will come a point where he needs to consider moving. That time hasn't come yet, and I think it's great for him to stay with this coaching team for now, but he will have to think about it at some point, Sexton is only 27 don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

I agree that of the three good young fly halves in Ireland, Madigan is the one with the biggest hurdle in front of him. A couple of seasons abroad may do him no harm and at that stage if there's still no place for him at Leinster he can always replace Dan Parks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Donal Lenihan in today's Examiner says that Zebo has never played FB for Cork Con. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

from the current squad
    1 kilcoyne 2 strouss 3 bent
    4 touthy/ryan 5 mccarthy
    6 hendrerson 7 henry 8 heaslip
    9 marshal 10 jackson
    11 gilroy 12 marshal 13 cave 14 o hal
    15 zebo

with as many as the starters from today on the bench as posible

possible players that should be called in
    mcsharry
    d kearney
    keatley/madigan
    o malley
    griffan
    marrion
    henshaw

snow mad wrote: »
    from the current squad
    1 kilcoyne 2 strouss 3 bent
    4 touthy/ryan 5 mccarthy
    6 hendrerson 7 henry 8 heaslip
    9 marshal 10 jackson
    11 gilroy 12 marshal 13 cave 14 o hal
    15 zebo

with as many as the starters from today on the bench as posible

possible players that should be called in
    mcsharry
    d kearney
    keatley/madigan
    o malley
    griffan
    marrion
    henshaw

Not a bad team, I'd probably play purely fringe players though.

Cronin/Sherry as the 2 hookers, keep Strauss for Argentina. Play Toner in the 2nd row, alongside Tuohy.

Maybe Butler at 8? Don't see a point in risking Heaslip, pity Coughlan is injured.

I like the look of your backline, maybe play Dave Kearney/Henshaw/Jones at full-back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Team I want to see
    1. Kilcoyne
    2. Strauss
    3. Bent
    4. Ryan / O'Callaghan
    5. McCarthy
    6. Henderson
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip (c)
    9. Marshall
    10. Jackson
    11. Gilroy / McFadden
    12. McSharry / Marshall
    13. Cave / Earls
    14. Bowe
    15. Zebo

The names in bold are who I think will play.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd have a pretty strong team against Fiji. No point in ever making 15 changes. You learn nothing about the new guys in completely new combinations, and you learn nothing for the Argentina game either. I'd use the game to trial only guys who could genuinely come into the equation for the Argentina game and put the youth on the bench. For me it would be:

Kilcoyne, Strauss, Bent, Tuohy, McCarthy, Henderson, Henry, Heaslip(c);
    Reddan, Sexton, Earls, Marshall, Cave, Bowe, Zebo

Cronin, Buckley, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, POM, Marshall, Jackson, Gilroy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd have a pretty strong team against Fiji. No point in ever making 15 changes. You learn nothing about the new guys in completely new combinations, and you learn nothing for the Argentina game either. I'd use the game to trial only guys who could genuinely come into the equation for the Argentina game and put the youth on the bench. For me it would be:

Kilcoyne, Strauss, Bent, Tuohy, McCarthy, Henderson, Henry, Heaslip(c);
    Reddan, Sexton, Earls, Marshall, Cave, Bowe, Zebo

Cronin, Buckley, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, POM, Marshall, Jackson, Gilroy

That's a lovely looking team tbh. I'd love to see that. Maybe Locky involved... Thought he deserves another go after his performance in NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

I'd have a pretty strong team against Fiji. No point in ever making 15 changes. You learn nothing about the new guys in completely new combinations, and you learn nothing for the Argentina game either. I'd use the game to trial only guys who could genuinely come into the equation for the Argentina game and put the youth on the bench.

i think after a physical game like that its not worth flogging the main players give them a two days off then spend 2 weeks working on our attack at least have a few decent set piece moves to pull out of the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I'd go for:

15 Zebo
    14 McFadden
    13 Earls
    12 Marshall
    11 Gilroy
    10 Jackson
    9 Marshall
    8 Heaslip/POM
    7 Henry
    6 Henderson
    5 Touhy
    4 DOC
    3 Bent
    2 Strauss
    1 Kilcoyne

I hope Sexton isn't involved. He picked up a few knocks today but I would also like to see 2 out of the 3 young 10s.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Tox56 wrote: »
    I hope Sexton isn't involved. He picked up a few knocks today but I would also like to see 2 out of the 3 young 10s.

Agreed Jackson has to start

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tox56 wrote: »

Don't see the point of that unless Sexton is injured. They won't be involved again until the summer tour and by then we could well have an entirely new coaching setup.

It's not like the experience of playing against Fiji (who are no better than who they are playing against for their provinces) is going to improve them immensely between now and the summer (when I'm sure they'll all tour).

I'd much, much prefer to use the game to give Reddan and Sexton a chance to put down a performance and stake their claim for the Argentina game (with Marshall coming on early enough to stake a claim as well). Use the game to facilitate changes for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

My fifteen would be
    15 zebo
    14 Gilroy
    13 cave
    12 McSharry/Marshall
    11 Earls
    10 Jackson
    9 Marmion/Marshall
    8 POM
    7 Henry
    6 Henderson
    5 Ryan
    4 Touhy
    3 Bent
    2 Cronin
    1 Kilcoyne

16. Sherry
    17. Buckley
    18. Fitzpatrick
    19. DOC
    20. Locky
    21. Marmion/Marshall
    22. Keatley/Madigan
    23. Mcsharry/Marshall

Tried to leave my bias out of selection but I do think the likes of Marion, Buckley and Mcsharry deserve gametime with the wolfhounds on their current form

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Everyone is forgetting about Court, I think Kidney with start with Court, Cronin and Bent and will have Sherry Kilcoyne and Fitzpatrick on the bench

Don't see the point of that unless Sexton is injured. They won't be involved again until the summer tour and by then we could well have an entirely new coaching setup.

It's not like the experience of playing against Fiji (who are no better than who they are playing against for their provinces) is going to improve them immensely between now and the summer (when I'm sure they'll all tour).

I'd much, much prefer to use the game to give Reddan and Sexton a chance to put down a performance and stake their claim for the Argentina game (with Marshall coming on early enough to stake a claim as well). Use the game to facilitate changes for that game.

I can see that side of it, but I would also like to see Jackson in particular stake a claim for a bench spot.

Learning to play in an international environment around different/unfamiliar players is part of the process that these young guys have to go through at some point. We don't have many "easy" international games, and I think we have to make use of them when we do have them. Ease them in while you have the chance and see how they perform, if you have to call on them through injury you want to have some idea how they will respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Blackheath wrote: »
    Everyone is forgetting about Court, I think Kidney with start with Court, Cronin and Bent and will have Sherry Kilcoyne and Fitzpatrick on the bench

I thought he was injured:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

kidney could do the next coach a favour and not leave it all on them to blood in new players

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement