Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I personally would think ROG will not play. As Tox says, he might bench. I'm 80% sure Jackson will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr.Opti

I think everyone is getting fed up with Kidney picking players from a certain province. Ireland shouldn't be used to prop up Munster, there's talk in some quarters that the IRFU wants Munster in a healthy state because of their comnercialbility and as a result munster players are being fast tracked. Heard that from a chairman of a rugby club (no not banbridge) seemed a bit conspiratol but hea been right about a lot in the past

Complete rubbish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

He's fit but he hasn't shown anything to put him ahead of David Kearney, or Niall Morris, or Henshaw, or even Duffy as a FB since may 2011 imo.

Personally I think that Zebo might get a game at FB in Munster now that he has had a chance to allow LOD into the team.

I'd agree he hasnt shown much but a lot of that was down to injury wasnt it ?. Regardless to me it seems Jones is the only actual FB Kidney is likely to use, I think we'll see him against Fiji and if all goes well against Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Will be a real disgrace if ROG starts. Up there with SOB and Ross being ignored in terms of rubbish selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Quint2010 wrote: »
    What are the odds of ROG being at 10 for the game against Fuji?

A terrifying scenario is Sexton is given next week off and Jackson starts with ROG benching.
    ROG them comes off the bench, does reasonably ok against Fiji and Deccie uses that as justification to play him in a game where "field position will be key" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Think the Henshaw stuff it a bit premature and I'm a huge advocate of playing younger players.

And we all know Kidney doesn't rate Connacht players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I personally would think ROG will not play. As Tox says, he might bench. I'm 80% sure Jackson will start.

That other 20% is something I like to call the Kidney Uncertainty Constant.

Scioch wrote: »
    I'd agree he hasnt shown much but a lot of that was down to injury wasnt it ?. Regardless to me it seems Jones is the only actual FB Kidney is likely to use, I think we'll see him against Fiji and if all goes well against Argentina.

Well, Hurley was called up ahead of him?

Jones needs to work hard to earn a place in the Munster team. Depending on the form of the likes of Downey, ROG and maybe LOD, Earls or Zebo could end up at 15 for Munster more often.

Zebo is already lining up at first receiver for Munster a lot of the time, spends more time infield than on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Henshaw looks already better than Zebo. Why would we continue to develop Zebo when there's better young players? It doesn't make sense

Ah here. I'm very exited about Henshaw, but I think there are a lot of people on this forum who are taking his pleasing performances a little too far. I'm all for "if they're good enough they're young enough", and I would love to see Henshaw play against Fiji. But no way has Henshaw shown enough to suggest he's better than Zebo.
    Besides, for me Henshaw's future lies at outside centre. It's where I think he'll play for the u20s and it's where I think he's best. He big, skilful, and an intelligent player and I think that really shows through when he's in the centre.

What about ROG at 10 and Jackson at 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

danthefan wrote: »
    Will be a real disgrace if ROG starts. Up there with SOB and Ross being ignored in terms of rubbish selections.

It'd be reminiscent of John Hayes starting against Samoa!

It'd be very annoying. The game should be used to inform selection ahead of the Argentina game and ROG should not be anywhere near contention to start, whereas Jackson should be in contention to bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

If he starts ahead of Jackson they'll be some furious people around my club next weekend! I genuinely think it would be a shocking decision. I think everyone is getting fed up with Kidney picking players from a certain province. Ireland shouldn't be used to prop up Munster, there's talk in some quarters that the IRFU wants Munster in a healthy state because of their comnercialbility and as a result munster players are being fast tracked. Heard that from a chairman of a rugby club (no not banbridge) seemed a bit conspiratol but hea been right about a lot in the past

In fairness, I think the IRFU want all the provinces to be in a healthy situation commercially.

I really don't think dragging a load of undeserving Munster players into the Ireland squad would be of much benefit. Munster have an excellent coaching staff and they would be better off there rather than holding tackle bags. A better way of making Munster more successful in the short term would be bring in a few marquee names where Munster are lacking - for example, a Rocky Elsom type player rather than a CJ Stander.

Hagz wrote: »
    Ah here. I'm very exited about Henshaw, but I think there are a lot of people on this forum who are taking his pleasing performances a little too far. I'm all for "if they're good enough they're young enough", and I would love to see Henshaw play against Fiji. But no way has Henshaw shown enough to suggest he's better than Zebo.
    Besides, for me Henshaw's future lies at outside centre. It's where I think he'll play for the u20s and it's where I think he's best. He big, skilful, and an intelligent player and I think that really shows through when he's in the centre.

What about ROG at 10 and Jackson at 12?

I hope you're not serious?

There would be absolutely no benefit in ROG playing. Jackson at 10, with Marshall at 12 has to be the right choice. ROG on the bench wouldn't be great, but it'd be understandable...I'd prefer Madigan or Keatley to be given the bench spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Jones needs to work hard to earn a place in the Munster team. Depending on the form of the likes of Downey, ROG and maybe LOD, Earls or Zebo could end up at 15 for Munster more often.

Zebo is already lining up at first receiver for Munster a lot of the time, spends more time infield than on the wing.

Zebo showed enough yesterday to indicate that he could make a decent stab at playing 15. It might be worth looking at for Munster. I think a backs division of 10. Keatley, 11. Earls, 12. Downey, 13. Lalalalala, 14. Howlett, 15. Zebo could be quite exciting

There is no way in hell O'Gara wont be on the bench for Arg. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he started with sexton at 12. Kidney is clueless.

goreyguy wrote: »
    There is no way in hell O'Gara wont be on the bench for Arg. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he started with sexton at 12. Kidney is clueless.

Sadly I agree. Not a chance he'll be out of the 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It's beyond a joke how far some people are willing to go to get ROG into the games. He shouldn't be starting for Munster.

Tbf Sexton has started the last 8 or 9 games for Ireland... I do expect ROG on the bench for Argentina alright although if Jackson plays really well, maybe there's a possibility he could jump ahead?

There is at least merit to ROG on the bench. There'd be no defending him starting the game though.

goreyguy wrote: »
    Think the Henshaw stuff it a bit premature and I'm a huge advocate of playing younger players.

And we all know Kidney doesn't rate Connacht players.

I hope you were not one of the ones who was hopping mad that McCarthy made it ahead of Tuohy!

Tbf Sexton has started the last 8 or 9 games for Ireland... I do expect ROG on the bench for Argentina alright although if Jackson plays really well, maybe there's a possibility he could jump ahead?

Jackson on the bench in a must win game! Sexton wouldn't last 5 minutes out there.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    I hope you were not one of the ones who was hopping mad that McCarthy made it ahead of Tuohy!

Nope, was advocating McCarthy to start and Touhy on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Jackson on the bench in a must win game! Sexton wouldn't last 5 minutes out there.

Is it a must win game? I thought it doesn't matter what we do unless Scotland beat the Saffers

But Jackson is better than ROG now.

If Sexton does go off, we don't want massive Argies running straight at ROG, they'd just bulldoze through. Whatever else about yesterday, we were pretty strong in defence, South Africa didn't make that much ground bar a few mauls. (Which is one reason why we should have kicked for a bit more territory, if we could have pinned them back in their own 22, they weren't going to get out easily)

There is at least merit to ROG on the bench. There'd be no defending him starting the game though.

Don't see it.

He offers no impact anymore (well, negative impact maybe) and the thought of him having to come on early in case of an injury is terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

danthefan wrote: »
    Don't see it.

He offers no impact anymore (well, negative impact maybe) and the thought of him having to come on early in case of an injury is terrifying.

I agree. Don't see anything ROG can do that Jackson can't do to a higher standard

But isn't that how Penney is playing it - putting forwards on the wing in the early phases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Is there though?

I mean Madigan/Jackson and Marshall would be excellent bench options, what exactly does ROG bring anymore, other than kicking?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There was a great cheer when ROG came on last night. Our thoughts here don't reflect public opinion.

Is there though?

I mean Madigan/Jackson and Marshall would be excellent bench options, what exactly does ROG bring anymore, other than kicking?

There is only merit to it if you accept Madigan and Keatley aren't in the squad and won't be. IE he's probably better than risking Sexton there. There's also the argument that we need to win the game, and also the argument that O'Gara actually has a chance of being involved against Argentina so needs game time.

I'd prefer to see Madigan on the bench personally. But there is at least SOME merit to having ROG there, just not all that much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

There was a great cheer when ROG came on last night. Our thoughts here don't reflect public opinion.

Ah in fairness that's a given, ROG is rightly a hero to thousands, and you've still got the media and eejits like Hook bigging up ROG. If you weren't a rugby nerd you might not know how poor ROG has been lately.

Found it hilarious that the RTE producer is still doing the 'cut to Sexton, cut away to ROG on the bench' thing though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement