Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

jm08 wrote: »
    You'll find that both O'Mahony (starter for 5 Heineken cup games with 2 MOTM awards) & Murray had played away in France on a winning team before they were selected for Ireland, also with numerous MOTM awards. Murray was the SH that won the Magners Final in 2010.

Nobody is suggesting starting Jackson in a RWC Quarter-Final, just benching in an Autumn International against Argentina.

Oh well I suppose you're right, I mean he is missing those crucial attributes that qualify him to sit on the bench, like an away win in France or 5 H Cup starts (instead of a measly 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

leonard7 wrote: »
    Johnny Sexton should be called Johnny Sextant - because he is a very accurate kicker and a sextant is a nautical tool used for navigation which measures the angle between any two visible objects.

Best post I've read all day.

Bonus point for explanation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

You'll find that both O'Mahony (starter for 5 Heineken cup games with 2 MOTM awards) & Murray had played away in France on a winning team before they were selected for Ireland, also with numerous MOTM awards. Murray was the SH that won the Magners Final in 2010.
    Jackson has more MOTM awards than Murray did at this point. Jackson has played 4 HC games (including a final) to POMs 5. So basically your saying that because Jackson had never played on France he doesn't deserve to start ahead of O'Gara?? Do you just make up arguments to suit your agenda has you go along or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not since the English team of a few years ago have I seen such one dimensionality from a rugby team.

In my mind if we don't change the management ticket before the 6N's we are going to get left further behind by everybody else.

Those same communication breakdowns in attack were still evident. They had 4 months to come up with a solution and have obviously failed again. Just not good enough for an international management team.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Jackson has more MOTM awards than Murray did at this point. Jackson has played 4 HC games (including a final) to POMs 5. So basically your saying that because Jackson had never played on France he doesn't deserve to start ahead of O'Gara?? Do you just make up arguments to suit your agenda has you go along or what?

Did you have to ruin a perfectly good post with that last jab? Take a day off to chill out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tac4271

Jackson started away against Bayonne when Ulster beat them in a pre-season friendly in August this year. Although I don't know if you were referring to competitive matches or not.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/10692.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Tox56 wrote: »
    Nobody is suggesting starting Jackson in a RWC Quarter-Final, just benching in an Autumn International against Argentina.

Murray started from the bench in a couple of warm-up games as well as starting against the US & Italy and subbing against Australia (23 mins). This game against Argentina is as important as the world cup QF.
    Oh well I suppose you're right, I mean he is missing those crucial attributes that qualify him to sit on the bench, like an away win in France or 5 H Cup starts (instead of a measly 4).

The outhalf plays in the most demanding position on the team. Jonny Wilkinson is a rarity to play in that position at such a young age (mind you he had a pack to mind him). Dan Carter's was capped at 12 x12 times before he got to play 10, and some of those teams were Canada & Italy and he was playing 10 for the Crusaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Realistically Kidney has to go, but it won't happen until his contract runs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Murray started from the bench in a couple of warm-up games as well as starting against the US & Italy and subbing against Australia (23 mins). This game against Argentina is as important as the world cup QF.

The outhalf plays in the most demanding position on the team. Jonny Wilkinson is a rarity to play in that position at such a young age (mind you he had a pack to mind him). Dan Carter's was capped at 12 x12 times before he got to play 10, and some of those teams were Canada & Italy and he was playing 10 for the Crusaders.

Exactly, you can't have a weak link there, which ROG surely is these days, especially when there is no pack to protect him defensively. Jackson is far more secure than O'Gara in that regard.

There is the Fiji game to see how Jackson reacts to playing in an international environment with unfamiliar players. Again, nobody is suggesting he starts ahead of Sexton, and if you were comfortable with Murray starting in the World Cup, I can't see why you are so opposed to this, especially when the player he is replacing is in such poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

goreyguy wrote: »

How much would it cost to get rid straight after these test matches?
    Couldn't be that much and it's doing more harm than good by keeping him.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Jackson hasn't been really tested (outside of Ravenhill against a top team without Pienaar). You saw yesterday how Pienaar is the main man. A lot of SA fans complain that Pienaar stiffles his outhalf.
    Jackson has played one game I think, with Pienaar. Pienaar has been with S.A. since August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Were those two MOTM awards the ones that were awarded to O'Mahony by his agent?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is a fairly straightforward argument for why Jackson should bench ahead of ROG.

He's a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Most likely, but if we somehow wind up in 9th at the end of the month, I can see the IRFU showing him the door.

In the AIs before the WC seedings are sorted out, we should be pushing for top 4, not desperately clinging on to 8th. Shows a complete lack of ambition in the IRFU that they haven't given Kidney his marching orders. It's been apparent that he's out of his depth for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Any reports of injury concerns after the match yesterday? It seemed like both Healy and Ross were nursing their shoulders at some points during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Teferi wrote: »
    Any reports of injury concerns after the match yesterday? It seemed like both Healy and Ross were nursing their shoulders at some points during the game.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Healy is ruled out for a couple of months after the Argentina game to have a shoulder operation. Either that or he'll be nursed through to next summer and spend a lot of the early part of next season rehabbing after he goes under the knife. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Healy looks injured every week in fairness.

If Healy does require an operation I'd rather it sooner rather than later. He has a Lions Tour to win.

don't give a toss about the lions

I'm sure your support will be a great loss to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You mightn't but presumably Cian does.

i'm sure he does but if he needs surgery i'd much rather he had asap.

can't have him destroying his shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Have you considered Healy might just love a 2013 Lions Jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can someone tell me by the way when a box kick into the opponent's half became a viable tactic?

Have never ever seen either Murray do that in provincial colours, was absolutely disgusted when he did it yesterday. Sexton's soon after was at least outside the 22, and we were on the backfoot, but both were good examples of our inability to keep continuity when we have the ball and to attack intelligently.
    When the back three is up and there is space in behind to kick to but if you pass it to the OH it would give the opposition the split second to get back

Onlly time imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Dunno if this has been posted here yet, saw this over in CVP&L:

mccarthyhit.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

There was a great cheer when ROG came on last night. Our thoughts here don't reflect public opinion.

They must be the same people who take flash pics when Sexton is kicking :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

LeftBase wrote: »
    They must be the same people who take flash pics when Sexton is kicking :rolleyes:

If there exists a person in this world who is unsettled by another person taking a flash photograph whilst a kick is being taken, then I take great pity on that person indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

bilston wrote: »
    You mightn't but presumably Cian does.

I'm sure he'd be delighted to go on a Lions tour, as any player would. However, it most certainly should not be his priority. Playing for the Lions is an additional accolade, but playing international rugby, for Ireland, should always be the pinnacle of any Irish player. Therefore, any decision regarding his fitness, or requiring surgery, should be made expressly with the best interests of Irish rugby in mind, not the Lions series which are supplementary exhibition matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    I'm sure he'd be delighted to go on a Lions tour, as any player would. However, it most certainly should not be his priority. Playing for the Lions is an additional accolade, but playing international rugby, for Ireland, should always be the pinnacle of any Irish player. Therefore, any decision regarding his fitness, or requiring surgery, should be made expressly with the best interests of Irish rugby in mind, not the Lions series which are supplementary exhibition matches.

Being selected for the Lions is top priority for most players this season, they may not say it out loud for fear of p1ssing off provincial or international set-ups but rest assured all players want the glory of playing for the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

phog wrote: »
    Have you considered Healy might just love a 2013 Lions Jersey?

Generally once the tour is over http://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/ have them going cheap so that would probably be the best time for Healy to pick one up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement